Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 28th June 2012>

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Supercells, tornadoes, baseball sized hail...and to think this is UK

How often do these type of setups happen on average?

Posted

Thenorthernecho are saying it was a supercell which hit Newcastle, not sure if this is BS or true though. I can still hear the thunder rumbling in the distance, 3 hours after it all started.

http://www.thenorthe...rms_hit_region/

Satellite imagery and that video of the tornado suggests the storm that went through Central England was a supercell. There was a small cell that went through the N/E area around 2-3pm but what is going through now, this band of rain/storms is a trough.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/europe/surface_pressure.html

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/guide/key.html#pressure

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

20C now and sunny, with barely any audible thunder. The weather loves to reverse completely!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

23c DP at Lakenheath RAF station. Thats some exceptionally high DP.

Today has really whetted the appetite for more this summer however I think today has been pretty damn rare!

Posted

23c DP at Lakenheath RAF station. Thats some exceptionally high DP.

Today has really whetted the appetite for more this summer however I think today has been pretty damn rare!

Considering I've never seen a storm like this in the UK I'm not expecting a repeat later on this summer!

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Storms just clearing the coast now, an excellent 2 hour display, some fantastic lightning and some pretty energetic rotating clouds and extremely loud thunder. Top thunder day..!!!

Can still hear the thunder and see the odd flash of lightning from the storms now over the north sea...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Phenomenal rainfall rates here, with some hail mixed in. Got some footage and a couple of photos. Suddenly it's eased off but that was an impressive storm. You could tell it was on the severe side. I expect it'll pass completely in the next few minutes, thunder still rumbling but rain back to moderate. Well worth waiting for!

Loud crack of thunder just now! The regularity of the thunder and lightening has gone through fits and starts, sometimes just one rumble a minute if that, and other times, like now, a couple of strikes per 10 seconds or so :)

Posted

Expect a few naff photos in 20 minutes :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Good grief, we finally have (and I hesitate to call it this) early evening convection in the distance. Doesn't look like it'll actually do anything as everything is leaning at 45 degrees and about to collapse in a heap. Oh well, been a lovely hot day and if anything more humid than earlier!

Posted

Shotgun crack of thunder again. What a strange storm! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Its been so nice to have all these storms too without hearing the dreaded words "Pulse type" storms...those which are so naff compared to today. Infact after today, its all going to look a bit weak but I will always take more! laugh.png

These storms have been able to just keep on going since they began down here showing just how ripe the conditions were. Those storms still going but not at the intensity as experienced in the West Midlands, Leicester or Newcastle earlier.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

Considering I've never seen a storm like this in the UK I'm not expecting a repeat later on this summer!

Supercells aren't that rare in the UK though are they ? perhaps one event every 3 years ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

The wind is really picking up here, the cold front has arrived at a guess. No chance now lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Supercells aren't that rare in the UK though are they ? perhaps one event every 3 years ?

A heavy shower with a rumble of thunder is as rare as hens teeth round here, I can't even begin to comprehend a supercell.....lol

Posted

Maybe, but I've never personally experienced a storm on the scale of today in the UK. It was comparable to the storms I've seen in the Alps and Florida where the whole sky goes green, and then BOOM!

Posted

A heavy shower with a rumble of thunder is as rare as hens teeth round here, I can't even begin to comprehend a supercell.....lol

There seems to have been about half a dozen in the UK though today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Awesome day - Im now looking forward to the stats being put together (a report of som sort would be great) for the archives, so we can look back etc. Im only 20, but this is the most widespread severe day of storms I can remember.

Posted

I feel really bad for you to be honest, I've been with family today near Fleetwood and we had a lovely cell pass over at around 12:30. Thunder, lightening, gusty winds and then torrential rain. The raindrops were absolutely huge too, as big as I remember them being in Florida storms.

Just coming across these storms now. Can anyone tell me where hail storms have hit (I know Leicester from the news), and if it's moving onto anywhere else? Looking for large hail that is damaging cars etc.

In Sheffield today we didn't have hail but just thunderstorms and huge amount of downpour. Pretty amazing to see all of the photos that everyone's uploading. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I probably had the country's most boring weather today. But it was nice reading all your reports, and it was nice to share some images i managed to find. Well done if you got a nice storm! :)

Posted

Gosh the Newcastle-south storms really intensified from 18:15 to 18:30 on the radar! No wonder the rainfall rates were so biblical!

Posted

We usually get 1 every year on average, but this year we have had at least 4 that I can count if you add in the Bicester Twister Low Topped Supercell from May. I counted at least 3 HP Supercells with another 2 marginal radar looking Supercells, one near Cheadle and another in the Welsh Marches.

So maybe 5 Today and 6 for the year, which is way way above average.

Once you start getting Dewpoints in the low twenties and with a favourable set-up these types of events are not as rare as you think for the Uk certainly for the Midlands and Lincs where a long land track matures these cells, its just we have not had this type of Set-Up for years and in previous years they could have gone un noticed due to technology etc

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Why where there no storms in south east today? what conditions stopped it but allowed them to develop on the other side of the channel?