Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 28th June 2012>

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

So, when is the next time we will see storms as i am off for 2 weeks to chase storms :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

!

HOLY S***! thats a tornado isnt it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I am looking forward to going home and watching all the footage i have taken and all the footage on here. I may create a dvd of the 28th July 2012 - the day of the supercells!

I am taking it they were supercells considering the severity, if they werent then i dread to see how intense a supercell is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I'm not convinced - we had a brief spell of very strong winds and hail like this in Newcastle, and I think it was just a powerful downdraft.

Posted

Umm.. that probably ranks amongst the best storm footage I've seen from anywhere in the world on youtube.. let alone the UK! ohmy.png

I agree!!!

I am looking forward to going home and watching all the footage i have taken and all the footage on here. I may create a dvd of the 28th July 2012 - the day of the supercells!

I am taking it they were supercells considering the severity, if they werent then i dread to see how intense a supercell is.

It's June mate, all these storm chasing sending you loopy?! :D

I know we've had a god awful month in most peoples opinions but a least a lot of us are seeing the month out on a high! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

I think it's a microburst. Could be wrong

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Finally a storm for me. Well one a thundery shower this afternoon. Chucked it down this afternoon.

Posted

Umm.. that probably ranks amongst the best storm footage I've seen from anywhere in the world on youtube.. let alone the UK! ohmy.png

Seriously? rofl rofl.gif

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Seriously? rofl rofl.gif

He hasn't searched much lol :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Interesting video. Doesn't look like a tornado so I would go for the microburst theory.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Really good to see all these fantastic videos from the north for a change instead of the south. Any idea when the next convective spell is as this was another non-event for the south.

Posted

Seriously? rofl rofl.gif

He hasn't searched much lol biggrin.png

Umm yes.. 'amongst' the most dramatic convective weather videos.. Excluding tornadoes maybe. That's more dramatic than a tornado from a distance, or large (unless exceptionally large) hail, or torrential rain, or frequent lightning etc IMO, and I think you'd struggle to find a microburst (or whatever it was) video that reduces visibility that much with what looks like hurricane force winds tearing through. If you searched 'the GAP Cyclone' in youtube it might come up with a more dramatic and definitely longer lasting one in Australia.

I've been watching many youtube videos for years biggrin.png at least someone up the page agrees with me. Probably not 'the' worst convective/microburst vid I've seen but I certainly didn't expect to see a video like this from the UK!

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Microburst if you ask me

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Whatever it is, I have NEVER seen anything like that in the UK before.. that is just ridiculous, looks like a microburst as Kain said.. wow. Jealous to death.

Posted

I can hardly believe the weather i have experienced today here in the North-East.

Left work at 4pm for the 5 mile 15 minute journey home,all possible routes blocked by flooding the like of

which i have never seen here before,had to drive through a 2 foot deep lake across the road to finally get home

at 6pm!

Fire engines and police all over the place,complete chaos.

Thunder and lightning was of epic proportions,especially for this part of the country, the rainfall was biblical!

28th June 2012 "El Geordieo" biggrin.png

Posted

A very exciting day here in South East Nottingham, Skies went so eerily dark for at least one hour before any activity happenned. My son said at school all the birds stopped singing whilst darkness fell at 10.30 am and the street lights were going on. The volume of the thunder was absolutely incredibly loud for this country. Just returned from Florida and was on par with there. Lots of proper lighting and thunder. Rainfall was torrential resulting in flooded car park at work. Shame I was inside a busy supermarket whislt this was going on. Even so thunder was so loud we could all hear it inside.

Husband was in Leicester this afternoon and experienced a very strong storm system which passed by striking building and everyone got sent home (not a bad thing as I got dinner cooked for me!)

Next time I would like to be at home and be able to witness this type of extreme weather for myself rather than being stuck at work!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Its starting to rain lightly here again, large convective drops. I guess this is the remnants of today's volatile atmosphere.

Some videos:

Not mine, but this gets quite intense in the middle:

Btw the green colour isn't just the camera playing up, it actually seemed to go that colour. This is a couple of miles from me, but the winds seem non existent here!

Another I found:

Edited by Alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

I thought microburst but movement is L - R and then straight towards the camera at the end.

Yeah thats possible for a microburst too as the rush of air hits the surface and spreads out. Also got to take into account the air flowing around the church :)

Posted

Well the first one I hadn't actually seen before, but the rain doesn't look heavier, the wind not much stronger, and the UK had hail that large today..

The second one I've seen and was in my '(unless Exceptionally large)' catagory.

Anyway how often have you looked out your window and seen rain where you literally can't see halfway across the road due to the amount of water in the sky, with bits of tree flying horizontally past you? wink.png

Posted

Well I seen the good side of today's weather but also sadly the ugly side as my reletives house got flooded if albeit the damage is thankfully minimal and theres not much outside resisdue in the house however it does maks me think to be a little more cautious wishing for severe weather.

Having said that, what an afternoon it has been, one of the best thundery episodes for a long time but imo not quite up to August 2005 standards, the thundery activity on that day was immense and I have not seen anything like that since but todays event does eclipse on how long this storm lasted, a good 2 hours with a brief lull in the middle.

The thunder and lightning at times was fantastic though if albeit it was quite hard too see the lightning at times due to the immense rainfall but seeing photos/videos on here and all over facebook just showed what an event we experienced. I wonder how TWS is feeling? The curse has followed him to Norwich! :lol:

An afternoon that will live long in the memory thats for sure. :)