IGNORED

The North Of England Regional Discussion

A.J

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

I have a feeling there will be a very major flood through York in a day or two, this event has gone on for an unusually long time and has affected precisely the wrong areas to make a big confluence of tributary floods down there.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

43mm of rain since midnight here. The persistent rain started around mid morning again, and still it continues...

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

http://www.farsondig...rth/Ouse/York/.

River Ouse currently rising and still raining heavily over the dales. Flood warnings issued for all riverside areas along the Ouse. Will keep an eye on this looks like it could be bad.

Looks like pretty bad flooding there now. I wonder how this will compare to the significant flooding which took place in 2000. The Ouse is a pretty big river by British standards.

Posted

In the last 48 hours, I reckon around about 8 of those 48 hours where it hasn't rain and they occurred after dark. Rain has been steady today not as heavy yesterday. It looked like it was going to stop at one stage but it has picked up in intensity.

thats whats happening here moderate rain then to light then it intensifies Mental

thats whats happening here moderate rain then to light then it intensifies Mental

although no 8 hour break here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

42mm here since midnight and 18mm yesterday so reached the 60mm mark here and the rain still falls...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Just imagine how much snow this would of brought should this of been winter (well, none because it wouldn't of spawned due to their being no tropical storms in winter, but still)!

1mm of rain = 1cm of snow

We've had almost 60mm of rain now, that's 60cm of snow, that's 2ft. :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

43mm of rain since midnight here. The persistent rain started around mid morning again, and still it continues...

You must have had some heavy rain today P.M. The rain also resumed here around mid morning but up to 1800 g.m.t I've collected just 9.4mm, and I'm only about 14 miles south of you.

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Rain absolutely banging down. Can hear it really loud from indoors.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Looks like pretty bad flooding there now. I wonder how this will compare to the significant flooding which took place in 2000. The Ouse is a pretty big river by British standards.

I don't think it will be as bad as 2000, that was a incredible event. But it definitely could be one of the worst in a while. As I lived in York most of my life I always considered a flood to be bad if it got into Rowntree's Park which is currently under warning and only gets flooded once every few years. Will have to have a look after work tomorrow.

Posted

You must have had some heavy rain today P.M. The rain also resumed here around mid morning but up to 1800 g.m.t I've collected just 9.4mm, and I'm only about 14 miles south of you.

Yes had some very heavy and prolonged outbursts here most of the afternoon TM, and feeling very cool. I'm not complaining..smile.png It's Amazing what a few miles make in rainfall totals!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Apparently the river level in York is not unusual after heavy rain.

Posted

Another grim day here, its been raining preety much constantly since 10pm Sunday night. Not sure of rainfall totals, but suspect we are close to 90mm, which is very notable, though not exceptional for these parts. The rain hasn't been torrential, sometimes it has been quite light, other times moderate with shortlived sharper bursts. Whilst there has been very localised flooding in some places, we've been spared any significant flooding - thanks to the position of the low pressure meaning an on-shore wind from the NE, heaviest rain has been reserved for eastern upslope regions of the Pennines and further NE in County Durham and N Yorkshire. Had the low positioned itself further to the north over central scotland, then we would have seen a proper deluge thanks to the winds off the Irish Sea creating extra heat and energy, and then rising over the the fells generating intense rainfall - think Nov 2009, but alas the set up is very different, and no rivers around here are on flood watch alert. Temperatures have been low the last 48 hours no higher than 11 degrees and it has felt like late October/early November. Its been a long time that we have seen an autumn storm like this occuring so early in the season - more likely to see such set ups in late octover, and in some recent years we haven't seen any such set ups at all during the autumn.

Posted
  • Location: Settle in the Yorkshire Dales at 145m asl North Ribblesdale
  • Location: Settle in the Yorkshire Dales at 145m asl North Ribblesdale

We seem to be in the bulls eye of the low right now,nonstop rain since monday morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

over 50 hrs of rain here , i have never known anything like it , roads flooded everywhere

Edited by Spurry

Posted

It's been raining none stop since Sunday evening. I'd expect totals to be well over 100m by now. There was 65mm on Monday, added by the rain all day today (still raining moderately as I type) and Sunday evening.

Theres been disruption on rail mostly with limited services from Leeds center. Leeds to Glasgow for example was canceled. Road seems to be fine, more than likely due to the hilly nature of the city. Most of the suburbs aren't in the valleys, instead on the slopes.

Temperatures have been chilly, although it's expected under cloud and rain. Max today at Leeds Airport 9.c, yesterday slightly warmer at 10.c, Sunday max of 11.c

Despite the cooler than normal maxes it's unlikely to affect the average temperature for the month due to the lack of variation, no higher than 1.c temperature difference over the last 48 hours.

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted

over 50 hrs of rain here , i have never known anything like it , roads flooded everywhere

Here it's quite similar to the start of October 2010

That year we had more than 60mm over three days.

Posted

Certainly has been a very wet couple of days. Still raining now. Took a little video of Medlock river at Park Bridge - and it's a raging torrent. River level is quite high but here its in a valley/ravine with property much higher up, so no chance of flooding. The roads were collecting lots of surface water though

https://forum.netweather.tv/gallery/image/16240-wmc1/

I live on the side of Billinge Hill mate so luckily flooding is not an issue here. I can only imagine what parts of Wigan look like now and its still raining! In fact its raining heavier tonight than it has throughout the past 48 hours, incredible stuff!

I live on the side of Billinge Hill mate so luckily flooding is not an issue here. I can only imagine what parts of Wigan look like now and its still raining! In fact its raining heavier tonight than it has throughout the past 48 hours, incredible stuff!

I live near Wigan I recorded 46 mm of rain yesterday and 39 mm so far today

Edited by danieluk