Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 5th July 2012>

Posted

Big dark clouds moving in from the east. Looking at the radar though, it looks like the Pennines have taken the oomph out of the heaviest downpours (fewer bright colours).

But what bugs is when they move from west to east the pennines dont affect them and they go on to turn thundery

Here we are with an east to west movement, with lots of land to travel over so as not to lose their electification, but they still do, it really is as though there is some sort of thunder and lightning repeller over this side

Then again looking a the lightning map it did get across to cumbria, but miraculously stops before it gets to the populated parts of the north west, no surprise there

Edited by IanR

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

We didnt even have "rain".......!

The good stuff rain wise literally got to the M56 and did a sharp turn NW!

Why would it want to go to Liverpool? rofl.gifrofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Many

Crazy, gutted - at the last minute it died a death. Well, never mind. Hope we get something interesting but more so that everyone is safe tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

O come on, what's wrong with Liverpool! I live their.

Moderate rain started here and big raindrops

Posted

But what bugs is when they move from west to east the pennines dont affect them and they go on to turn thundery

Here we are with an east to west movement, with lots of land to travel over so as not to lose their electification, but they still do, it really is as though there is some sort of thunder and lightning repeller over this side

Different setup and the loss of daytime heating isn't a great help!

I'm from near Wigan and I can honestly say in all my 20 years of being interested in the weather I can count the number of decent Thunderstorms in the Wigan area on one hand. The North West really does get a raw deal when it comes to any kind of Severe weather. Thunder & Lightning, Snow etc. We do well with Winter Wind Storms but with the jet stream being so unactive for the last 3 or 4 winters even those events have been very few and far between.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Needs to budge north a few miles because were right on the edge of it here and its only just started raining, still it was nice hearing thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Getting quite heavy here and very humid. It's a nice shower if nothing elce

Posted

Storms loosing their Sferics when leaving the mainland of Holland and France... this has become a trend over the past few summers. Still trying to get my head around why this happens

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the stormier the better...

Crazy, gutted - at the last minute it died a death. Well, never mind. Hope we get something interesting but more so that everyone is safe tomorrow.

Chris, look at the radar now, and look at how much energy our little system has lost in a staggeringly short space of time. Like someone flicked the "OFF" switch!! It's virtually non-existent now.

Posted

O come on, what's wrong with Liverpool! I live their.

Moderate rain started here and big raindrops

Someone nicked your stormslaugh.png

Posted

I'm feeling gutted enough as it is about the storms with out people slagging off Liverpool as well!

I'm feeling gutted enough as it is about the storms with out people slagging off Liverpool as well!

Don't be gutted mate were still in line for a couple of interesting days there's still hope. On the Liverpool subject my Dad is from Liverpool, they're cracking people, and the way the City is shaping up you should be proud of the City and its people.

Posted

Still nothing up here yet, Im at work tonight in Jarrow all we got at minute is fog

Sadly with us remaining in an easterly drift I can't see us getting much exciting thunder wise and as you say its foggy out there so even if there is any thundery activity, we won't be seeing anything!

Can't complain after last Thursday mind. :)

Posted

Lashing down with no thunder or lightning. :rolleyes:

I got lucky with that big storm last August, but 2012 has so far been a bum year for thunderstorms.

Posted

Thanks Dave. Do you really think ther'll be any sferrics in the rain tomorrow then?

Posted

The Theta-Plume is definitely here with humidity rising threefold since 7pm. Now feels like a sauna in the room despite all windows open. Can't wait until 4am when the ex-MCS arrives.

Posted

That storm was a good one last august, was producing over 3 strikes a minute at one point! That may not sound much but it really is around here.

Thanks Dave. Do you really think ther'll be any sferrics in the rain tomorrow then?

I certainly wouldn't rule it out. With the majority of the heavy precipitation falling during the afternoon it will coincide with the warmest part of the day. Temps are expected to be around 20 degrees even with no sun with the humidity we still have and taking in to account how unstable the atmosphere currently is I can see there being a far chance of some Thunders with hopefully some CC or CG Lightning.

Posted

I'm from near Wigan and I can honestly say in all my 20 years of being interested in the weather I can count the number of decent Thunderstorms in the Wigan area on one hand. The North West really does get a raw deal when it comes to any kind of Severe weather. Thunder & Lightning, Snow etc. We do well with Winter Wind Storms but with the jet stream being so unactive for the last 3 or 4 winters even those events have been very few and far between.

I dont think its as bad as some places, we did get at least 1 beast per year on this side of town (Hindley) with a couple of other thundery showers but year is shocking here if you like thunder , I think 2010 was the last decent year for here anyway, Oh how i remember the seventies with regular night lightning storms here, and they were still rumbling in the distance in the morning, I dont care what anyone says the climate has shifted, Never never get things like that now

Edited by IanR

Posted

Crikey, sorry fella,i thought liverpudlians were blessed with a sense of humour.

No storms here too,regards soft southerner.

Posted

Don't be gutted mate were still in line for a couple of interesting days there's still hope. On the Liverpool subject my Dad is from Liverpool, they're cracking people, and the way the City is shaping up you should be proud of the City and its people.

And its voted as having the best skyline in the UK outside of London on another forum by a long way

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

NAE pulls the precipitation for tomorrow further south again on the 18z and bumps up the rainfall totals. The highest totals looking likely south of here now. Who knows where this thing will end up. The highest totals probably south of Liverpool to Manchester though.

EDIT: GFS now pulls the heaviest of the rain further south too, lying across the Central Midlands across to mid and south Wales. Looks like the north Midlands, north Wales and NW England may escape the heaviest precipitation now.

Edited by CreweCold