Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 5th July 2012>

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Now where did that sferic come from.

In reply to "the soft southerner", you wouldn't feel like being funny if a thunderstorm had just dide on you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I don't remember the 70s as wasn't born until the latter 70's, but I remember the 80s and several times every summer being awoken by my parents to tell me it was thundering (I was even interested in it back then) to then sit there watching lightning across the skies for hours on end.

Easterly plumes are so difficult to forecast. Even now there are uncertainties about where the heaviest rain will be. Paul "the legend" Hudson on Look North just said there will be some thunder in the rain for tomorrow but was also uncertain of how far north it will go.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

In reply to "the soft southerner", you wouldn't feel like being funny if a thunderstorm had just dide on you!

I'm not sure if your being serious but if you are...help.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Don't say that, the southerners will think we're soft as well.

Anyway, it's still raining here but not as big drops.

Posted

ive gone from moaning in the winter when the snow seems to miss my area to now being right in the firing line if the current nae is to be believed for heavy rain. hope its wrong the river seven is already quiet high.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

I dont think its as bad as some places, we did get at least 1 beast per year on this side of town (Hindley) with a couple of other thundery showers but year is shocking here if you like thunder , I think 2010 was the last decent year for here anyway, Oh how i remember the seventies with regular night lightning storms here, and they were still rumbling in the distance in the morning, I dont care what anyone says the climate has shifted, Never never get things like that now

I agree totally with you tbh mate. I remember always being woken by horrifically loud thunder and huge bright lightning flashes ! As I was little back then, I had the tendency to hide under my covers. Now I'm kicking myself every day for not embracing and making the most of them beast storms we used to import !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

I remember 1975 was brilliant for storms. July 17th Thursday we had a cracker in York. Ah, yes, those were the days.

Posted

At cloud watcher.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

ive gone from moaning in the winter when the snow seems to miss my area to now being right in the firing line if the current nae is to be believed for heavy rain. hope its wrong the river seven is already quiet high.

I'd quite happily take that core of heaviest rain off your hands....was quite looking forward to a proper deluge tomorrow...but appears to be trending south now.

Posted

I have had far worse die on me, anyway good luck with your storms.

Posted

Finally starting to get an agreement between the models with the GFS and NAE not too far off each other. But still this is only one run. For experience, like Supacell said, these Easterly events are quite hard to forecast and this one is no exception.

At the moment, things are starting to calm down, with the MCS across Holland loosing their Sferics as they move into the North Sea and towards Kent. But you need to keep an eye on the Theta-Plume that has now started to enter the Eastern Side of the country. With that Ex MCS moving in, thats one area that we need to keep an eye on...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

We didn't get a drop of rain from what looked not long ago like quite a threatening clump of precipitation on the radar. Sky to the east was looking very promising as well. Nothing happened though - naturally. Right now, in truth it does not really feel that humid, but then there is a breeze blowing from the NNW at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the stormier the better...

We didn't get a drop of rain from what looked not long ago like quite a threatening clump of precipitation on the radar. Sky to the east was looking very promising as well. Nothing happened though - naturally. Right now, in truth it does not really feel that humid, but then there is a breeze blowing from the NNW at the moment.

Yeah, same here, and we were literally right in the firing line for it. It just disintegrated within a space of a few minutes as it crossed the M6 line, and we got virtually nothing from it. Quite odd in fact.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

was a wonderful storm here earlier..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

This region is likely to see serious flooding if the current charts are right. The Midlands really pounded. Any convective element will only contain more torrential rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

The Skywarn forecast from earlier placed most of the U.K. under a severe storm watch, but excluded the Shetland isles, so it may be a good idea to start heading to shetland now, one glance at the lightning map taells you to take action....pmpl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Heard a few distant rumbles of thunder this evening so I guess thats a few crumbs of comfort, still disappointed that I've managed to miss out on the storms yet again!! Grrrr..... Nothing likely tomorrow as the CAPE & Li are virtually non existant..... Be careful if your under the flooding rains tomorrow. good.gif

NSC here we come :p

Posted

Just had a rumble of thunder here. totally out of the blue. Hadn't been checking the radar, just looked & it looks like a cell just popped up to our south east & moved just north of my location as we've had no rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

So the BBC look east and look north have been saying this Ex MCS moving in tonight will contain thunder. Gosh im confused! It really is touch and go with this one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Is it worth staying up do you think folks? I'm too keyed up to sleep anyway. :o

Posted

So the BBC look east and look north have been saying this Ex MCS moving in tonight will contain thunder. Gosh im confused! It really is touch and go with this one.

Unlikely IMO - chance for coastal Norfolk, Suffolk and Lincs later in the night, otherwise just a lot of heavy rain expected.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Is it worth staying up do you think folks? I'm too keyed up to sleep anyway. :o

i know its hard to sleep with all the thunder and flashes, but try n get a few mins if you can.

Posted

I think EA may stand a chance of seeing some Thunderstorm activity in the next couple of hours as the cells currently leaving the near continent are sustaining their sferics. It maybe a bit distant, but anyone with a view out to sea may have a better chance.

I think the likelihood of thunderstorms is going to be restricted to the daylight hours of tomorrow morning and daytime, as CAPE levels would be more favorable.