Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk General Convective Discussion & Forecasts, 24th August '12>

Nick F

Posted

Wow what a day! Started about half twelve and not stopped thundering or lightning since, until now. We've had a half hour break and the next one is just arriving. Most impressive afternoon for years and I got to watch it all from playing on my local football pitch.

Posted

Well what an afternoon I have largely heard but also seen from my vantage point at the football in Westbury!

Firstly a line of storms went to the South between 12.00-14.00 with stunning black CBs which were hugely towering.

The from around 14.30 massive CBs bagan to tower to the NW then N and NE with regular loud thunder heard from about

5 miles away. As 1 storm cleared so another would form in a train behind - not sure about backbuilding as was too far away

to tell.

From around 16.00 the thunder got closer, more regular and was very telling of being from positive CBs. All the while the sun

was shining in Westbury while just a few miles away was jet black.

Then around 16.30 a mega double CG strike happened somewhere between Westbury and Trowbridge and there followed an

awesome resounding thunderclap! More lightning was witnessed in the next 15 minutes.

I got home to Warminster around 17.15 and heard some more thunder to the W/SW of here - the closest to my home location

all day! This has since cleared away.

The NW radar accumulater shows over half an inch of rain around 5 miles either side of Warminster/Westbury area in a W-E line

in both instances while in between just a few mm from sporadic CB edge/anvil showers.

Posted

Does anyone think there is a chance on any storm in Manchester today? want some fun :-)

Absolutely nothing thundery will happen in the NW now as per usual, any remote chance has moved east anyway

Posted

Absolutely nothing thundery will happen in the NW now as per usual, any remote chance has moved east anyway

That does not surprise me orwell back to the football.

Posted

He says ...just as the sky darkens to my south west, just a moderate shower though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Well.....what a day that wasn't!

A few distant rumbles this morning...a few light pathetic drizzly type showers, and that was it.

Underwhelming doesn't even begin to cover it. Dear oh dear. 0/10.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Wasn't that impressive here either. Two flashes and rumbles is about it, but it was never going to be much this far NW.

I bet the NSC has reduced in size quite a bit after today though.

GFS 12z doesn't look too exciting for storm opportunities around here for my final few days living in West Yorkshire. As of 29th August I will be living in Derby and that will be my base for the 2013 storm chase season :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Anyone have any info on that monster of a storm near the Ely/Littleport areas? Surely has to be golfball sized hail and flooding within that, I've been seeing tonnes of lightning clearly from over 20 miles away! It looks really rather insane!

Yes went to the fens today to take my daughter to see some dolls houses, lucky took the camera and saw the storm you are referring to. Had frequent lightning every 5 seconds, constant thunder and hail. Have some pics to upload later trust me it was a beast.!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Got a good rainstorm right now pushing the months total up. No Thunder though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, stormy summers and snowy winters please.

Just had a cracking stom come through. Deep rumbling thunder and a good downpour. Think I saw some rotation but cannot be sure. Got a bit of video and some photo's and I'll upload some!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Wow, what a day. Lovely warm sunny start then a really good thunderstorm around 1pm-2pm. Not much rain but lots of thunder and saw some good lightning. Amazing convection and cloud structures especially the Ludlow cell which was MAHOOOOSIIVE! Then more thunder from then on for another hour or so on and off.

Look at the ATD map!!! Now that is a superb day for Central England with practically EVERYONE getting something!!! One of the best ever convective days. Probably some 3 or 4 separate storms here today?? :D

Posted

Well.....what a day that wasn't!

A few distant rumbles this morning...a few light pathetic drizzly type showers, and that was it.

Underwhelming doesn't even begin to cover it. Dear oh dear. 0/10.

you got distant rumbles blum.gif ,that would have been a significant weather event in Wigan lazy.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Some heavy showers around here now, nothing exciting though. I to would have just taken distant rumbles today if they happened.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, stormy summers and snowy winters please.

A couple of lightning shots of the storm that went over

post-4103-0-19306100-1345919184_thumb.jppost-4103-0-87749300-1345919211_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

The forecast says there is thunderstorms for 7:00pm (Warwick, West Midlands) but it seems its all finished. Got to say I was more impressed by the lightning strikes I saw last night than today overall, all I saw was torrential rain heard a few rumbles of thunder some quite loud, never saw lightning directly except possibly once when I turned my head to look. no hail, slightly gusty overall it was a normal day with rain and rumbles of thunder with some lightning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

A few photos I took today with a Canon DSLR

Looking NNE at the cell that brushed North Bristol producing a lot of rumbles of thunder.

post-15744-0-46862200-1345919611_thumb.j

Now looking West at the CB's that developed in Wales heading towards Bristol

post-15744-0-08247700-1345919620_thumb.j

post-15744-0-23721000-1345919624_thumb.j

Again looking NNE at the Cell that brushed North Bristol moving Eastwards

post-15744-0-81573200-1345919628_thumb.j

Then looking West again at the growing CB's and what they turned into as Thunder and Lightning struck shortly afterwards.

post-15744-0-72939700-1345919637_thumb.j

post-15744-0-40155800-1345919642_thumb.j

post-15744-0-79577500-1345919646_thumb.j

Posted

It's been another cracker of a day for storms, thanks to all for taking part in this thread and uploading all the reports, pics and video smile.png

Still a few storms ongoing, but here's the lightning map from today - focused on the main area of England and Wales

post-2-0-45710900-1345922107_thumb.png