Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Autumn

lorenzo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Just edging into NAE timeframe (Friday 0600)....

12102606_2406.gif

12102606_2406.gif

12102606_2406.gif

Edited by scottish skier

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

As with most northerlies for my location, dry but cold to be expected. They seldom produce here. However, dry, with a good nip in the air, suits me fine at this stage of the game. Plenty of time for snow to come (hopefully.) Loving these early synoptics and hope they continue!smile.png

Posted

Do you have a NMM sub SS? If so, have a look at the latest NMM, precip type and t850's look absolutely superb on Friday morning!

I did in the past but it lapsed. Should get the wallet out again really now with the winter approaching!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, storm force winds

Looking forward to a bit of the white stuff. Not unusual to get snow up here last week in October. In 3 of the last four years its happened and looks like it will again this year. Temp falling here already down to 5.5C with a dew of 3.8C, expecting some wintry showers later on and then turning to snow tomorrow morning. Friday looks quite good atm :)

Posted

Looking forward to a bit of the white stuff. Not unusual to get snow up here last week in October. In 3 of the last four years its happened and looks like it will again this year. Temp falling here already down to 5.5C with a dew of 3.8C, expecting some wintry showers later on and then turning to snow tomorrow morning. Friday looks quite good atm smile.png

Some troughs around. Here's one for you.

PPVI89.png

Today here was slightly more cloudy than what it has been lately, wind still calm and temps around 11c so just slightly warmer than yesterday.

Tonight looks mostly cloudy for everyone with maybe the SW parts getting away with partly cloudy conditions. On Thursday it will be clear and sunny in the West and South, elsewhere either sunny spells or cloudy. On Thursday night it will be partly cloudy everywhere apart from the North which looks cloudy and may be in for a chance of some wintry showers. On Thursday there will be a very strong cold breeze from the North all over Scotland and it may reach gale force over Western and Northern coasts.

Lowest temperature tonight the GFS gives us is 2c in the Highlands elsewhere around 6c to 10c.

Edited by weathermaster

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Not expecting action here sadly this weekend, but looking forward to some pics hopefully!

By the current GFS 12Z output we could be looking at a lot of wind and rain over the next couple of weeks?! Glad I moved the wellies into their box in the hallway now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

You guys make me laugh! Take a bit of well meant advice from someone who has been there, done that and got many T shirts! Under 12s are the easy years. You will wish you had them back once they get to teens. It gets worse as they get older! Good luck!biggrin.png

8.9c here and we actually have some sun!

Ah, The Teen Years...... Both my sons made me cry on occasion with their out-of-control testosterone turning them into aggressive horrors who had to viciously argue with simply everything I asked them to do. Like get up in the morning.... My daughter was, in contrast, reasonably civilised as I had the brilliant idea of buying her a horse to keep her occupied (and away from boys). I stopped feeling so smug about 3 years later when she decided it had to live in a 5* equine hotel to accompany her to university as she couldn't bear to be separated from it ! Good luck to all of you who haven't yet had the pleasure of The Teen Years (they do get better and turn back into loving, lovely darlings again!)

Enjoy the cold - I'm envious and hoping it will be cold, sharp and sunny with some snow gracing the mountains the week after next when I get to drive home for a few days clapping.gif

Posted

Finally the sun came out today, some lovely sunshine and blue skies and a particulary nice afternoon and evening. Getting ready for some cold nights, sunny days, snow reports from the islands of Hagar, the fields of the Northernlights and co. Doubt that there'll be any way of flurries here but I'll keep an eye on the radar just in case wink.png .

Posted

Currently dull and drizzly and 6c .This afternoon was fairly overcast and reached 10c and we have almost lifted a road for the lifter in the neeps and got thoroughly soaked by their leaves.Cows and calves shifted to more sheltered field. Winter tyres going on tomorrow or Friday. All stores(diesel, cattle cake,cat food ,freezer,etc topped up in case winter arrives.

Interesting photo of our beech hedge which was severely frosted on the top but not the sides about 10 days ago.post-2744-0-95558300-1351109466_thumb.jp Hope to get more of the garden dug over the weekend if it is not too frosty.

Posted

What a stunning evening. Almost clear skies, and still air., making most of the view on route home as clocks go back at weekend, so will be dark when I leave.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

You guys make me laugh! Take a bit of well meant advice from someone who has been there, done that and got many T shirts! Under 12s are the easy years. You will wish you had them back once they get to teens. It gets worse as they get older! Good luck!biggrin.png

8.9c here and we actually have some sun!

Cheers blitzen I thought the pink sparkly carpet in my beautifully converted garage today would tip me over edge but it is you who has done that :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

And then there's me with four and a permanent UN Rep on standby. rofl.gif

Another grey morning with a glimmer of clear skies to the North. 10c on route to work.

Glol you win cheggers this is one game I'm not gonna try and win....no fourth for me :)

Posted

Cheers blitzen I thought the pink sparkly carpet in my beautifully converted garage today would tip me over edge but it is you who has done that smile.png

<p>You're most welcome!blum.gif I could have said - When you're the father of boys, you worry. When you're the father of girls, you do more than that you pray!.........Oops, too late! Nah, all things considered, I wouldn't change those years for anything. You'll be fine.biggrin.png

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

Some troughs around. Here's one for you.

PPVI89.png

Interesting that Matt Hugo tweeted referring to that fax chart. He is of the opinion that that little low forecast for Friday could be a polar low? Bringing the chance of some snowfall for Scotland.unsure.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

^^ -45c air at 500hPa to the east of the low just before formation, it may very well be one you know! I'm of the feeling it's a run of the mill trough but it could have the characteristics of a PL on closer inspection.

Posted

A polar low eh? Pretty darn impressive for this time in this season IF we do end up seeing a polar low near British shores. I can't remember many examples of a succesful polar low bringing snow to Scotland in recent years but I'm sure that someone can prove me wrong. Too far east for this part of the world to join in with the fun but hopefully folk on here will see the first snowfalls.

Edited by A Winter's Tale

Posted

Time to have a look at the latest snow risk charts:

uksnowrisk.png

uksnowrisk.png

uksnowrisk.png

uksnowrisk.png

uksnowrisk.png

uksnowrisk.png

uksnowrisk.png

uksnowrisk.png

uksnowrisk.png

uksnowrisk.png

uksnowrisk.png

Shetland should see the first snow by Thursday afternoon with possibly a little wintryness on the Grampians during the evening. Overnight into Friday morning some flurries could be possible around Caithness/Sutherland and down the north sea coast. A good chance of some wintry showers for the northern half of Scotland during the afternoon and evening and possibly spreading a little further south.

So the areas most at risk of wintry precipitation during the next couple of days should be the Northern Isles, Caithness/Sutherland, Moray, Aberdeenshire, further south into the Cairngorms. A risk of wintryness too for Lewis/Harris, the north west highlands and down the north sea coast, possibly the borders too. The south west of Scotland least likely to see snow.

Rgearding the snow risk for the cities, Inverness should be most at risk then Aberdeen and a toss-up between Edinburgh and Dundee.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Went to bed with a headache and wake up to Polar Lows?

Whose already looking through the curtain this morning? rofl.gif

Went to bed with a headache and wake up to Polar Lows?

Whose already looking through the curtain this morning? rofl.gif

It has only taken until the 25th of October for the PL chat to start.

Here's a good link for winter, this usually picks up when/if a PL has formed:

http://www.knmi.nl/satrep/latest.htm

The Regional SatRep pane is also good for seeing what's happening with fronts over the UK. Well worth bookmarking the link if you don't already have it :)

A polar low eh? Pretty darn impressive for this time in this season IF we do end up seeing a polar low near British shores. I can't remember many examples of a succesful polar low bringing snow to Scotland in recent years but I'm sure that someone can prove me wrong. Too far east for this part of the world to join in with the fun but hopefully folk on here will see the first snowfalls.

There have been quite a few cases of PL "remnants" bringing snow, but the last full scale slap from a polar low in the west of Scotland was late December 2000. Not sure about the rest of the country, anyone else know?