Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - Autumn

lorenzo

Posted

Cloudy (again) but not the low cloud of recent days. A different type of cloudy (if that makes sense)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, storm force winds

Just had a blustery snow shower. Temp 2.9C, Dew 0.3C

I like this, I like this a lot! : http://www.sat24.com...oop.aspx?type=1

Much heavier shower this time, not lying as yet though. This is a quote from the full text of the warning just issued by the Meto that I get via e-mail:

"Shetland, in particular, will see some testing conditions on Thursday and Friday with cold temperatures, strong to gale force northwesterly winds (possibly reaching severe gale force for a time around midday on Friday) and frequent wintry showers. "

Edited by Hagar

Posted

Sun's coming out at last. I wonder if that's the clearer air starting to dig in now?

Posted

Sun's coming out at last. I wonder if that's the clearer air starting to dig in now?

It is starting to feel that way, just been out and distinct chill back in the air.

Posted

A drizzly line of showers has cleared from North about an hour ago.Now much brighter and blue skies. Temperature 7.3c at 7.00am this morning now 5.2c so falling away . Wind got up from North as drizzle cleared now moderate to fresh making it feel cold.

Posted

Started to get really windy here (after a period of calm) Not looking forward to the dog walk in about 75 minutes time!

EDIT: Can explain why the wind's got up as it's just started to rain :p

Edited by NUT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Definitely OTR. Now approaching 7oC (feels like 5) from a high earlier this pm of 10oC. We have picked up a band of showers which developed over the North Sea and some have been quite heavy. It would be interesting if the direction remained similar once the temperature drops further? Depends on precipitation levels tho'. Quite looking forward to this 2 day? cold snap - blow some of the cobwebs away!

http://www.fifeweather.co.uk/

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

That squally line of showers pepped up as it passed here earlier this afternoon.[Very distictive line moving South down the Eastern side on the radar]. From a light Northerly breeze we suddenly had one gust of 37mph with the arrival of the shower and the temp dropped quickly by 3C. The sun has come out since but the temps did not recover and there is more of a breeze so feeling colder.

The band of rain on the radar which is now sitting between Edinburgh and Newcastle is the cold front heading south, so the temp should drop away behind it, obviously. Looks like a cold sunny day tomorrow, wish I wasn't working as it would have been nice for a long walk.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Dewpoints behind the trough are already falling away, sub zero now in most parts of the country, even with temperatures largely in the mid single figures. The lack of showers, along with the lack of precipitation intensity and the lack of gusto with which the limited number of showers are moving is largely down to the relatively high pressure and slack flow at the moment, along with not exceptionally cold uppers at the moment. This should start to change somewhat, as the sub -8 stuff really starts to bite: http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2012/10/25/basis12/ukuk/t850/12102603_2512.gif and the northerly flow proper becomes established, at least around the north of the country and far eastern extremities http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2012/10/25/basis12/ukuk/uv10/12102609_2512.gif

But pressure is still likely to be too high for that much in the way of interesting convection, especially given the straight northerly flow. However, given the uppers, and this fax chart: PPVG89.png

Along with the NMM, it might not be an entirely futile northerly for everyone. That trough is set to move southwards across the country from lunchtime through to about 5pm when it'll be hitting northern England, and given the dewpoints projected on the NMM much of that could fall as wintry precipitation, certainly with a bit of elevation and intensity. The Met Office has a slightly less promising picture, with most of the precipitation failing to get south of the famous Grampian snow shadow, though favoured parts of inland Angus and Kincardineshire in particular could still see some falling sleet or snow. Usually I'd say that the Met Office always underestimates convection and that this time will be no different but given the relatively high pressure and the northerly wind I wouldn't be too sure of writing it off. However, early season northerlies can often surprise so look out for that possibility. Areas of high risk would be, as I said, the Highlands, Northern Isles, Aberdeenshire, Angus, parts of Highland Perthshire and Argyll, and, given the history of these troughs to form and then reform after passing the Forth, the Eastern Borders and maybe even the Lothians (which is now my IMBY biased region).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Here's the plunge recorded for posterity smile.png

The inside of your house topped out at 40 C? ohmy.png

Were you in the sauna or something?

Today here has been clear and sunny but a lot colder than yesterday it was 12c and today 8c so about a 4c drop in the last 24 hours.

Tonight most of Scotland will be cloudy but the South should stay clear and the far North will experience wintry showers. On Friday afternoon there will be a mixture of weather for the West cloudy, South Sunny, East Sunny spells with wintry showers and the North cloudy with wintry showers. On Friday night most of Scotland will be either clear or partly cloudy, the North may still get some wintry showers as well. Friday morning the wind will be a strong breeze from the North but later in the afternoon it should turn to gale force. Gusts over 40mph are likely over the far North.

Getting very cold tonight down to -5c the GFS gives us in the Highlands, elsewhere 3c to 6c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

the Lothians (which is now my IMBY biased region).

You've moved down to join us here? I missed that while I was summer-awol - welcome! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

You've moved down to join us here? I missed that while I was summer-awol - welcome! smile.png

Thanks very much, it's a great city. I'm at Edinburgh Uni, staying in Pollock Halls, so even if it's a bit too mild for snow I can always climb up Arthur's Seat where there might be a better chance of finding some!

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

Thanks very much, it's a great city. I'm at Edinburgh Uni, staying in Pollock Halls, so even if it's a bit too mild for snow I can always climb up Arthur's Seat where there might be a better chance of finding some!

I visited my daughter Aurora Storm over a number of years at Pollock Halls and I always said to her that students were far to comfortable today.

In my day you had to rough it !!!! Hope you enjoy your course as much as she did. She has some fabulous photos of Arthurs Seat taken in December 2010 covered in snow with snow laden cloud behind it.

Currently clear here and 3c. Camera at the ready for the next two mornings in case it snows here.

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Oh well if you're at Pollock and I'm in south suburban Embra, then if we do get any decent snow, we have a trad wooden sledge to haul up Blackford Hill if you want!

Posted

5c here and you can feel the nip now. Going to be a chilly morning. Wind whipped up earlier, but has died away now.

Lorenzo\Mods... any chance the weather tool I posted earlier can be pinned to page one of new threads over the winter for all new and late comers.

Posted

Yeah ! big change in the weather, after the Squall line passed over Dundee this afternoon. A wee video of the gusty wind this afternoon stripping the leaves of the trees....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Will look into that for you Cheggers, wonder if there is a way to add it to your signature?

Regarding the threads, the powers that be are working out whether to run them for the entire winter so we have an archive of the whole season in one place, or whether to keep refreshing them with new ones now and again. Any thoughts??

Satrep is excellent and 2nd the suggestion to keep that one handy as a link.

Meteosat has the trough mentioned above looping at the moment as it clears the country.

http://www.meteovista.co.uk/Satellite/United%20Kingdom/165/2

Edited by lorenzo