Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk General Convective Discussion & Forecasts, 10th October 2012>

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

The NMM is painting a very colourful picture for halloween! Gusty winds and flash flooding if things develop as shown here when the cold font moves in and heads south and eastwards, an interesting weather day coming up!?

post-9615-0-60362800-1351584944_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-33864400-1351584956_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-85087000-1351584962_thumb.pn

Yes, models suggesting quite an active cold front moving through tomorrow - perhaps a squall line developing on the rear as colder air undercuts - though GFS suggesting very little in the way of instability. However, the model doesn't always pick up instability in these situations - so could still be some shallow convection with low topped linear cells bringing some intense rainfall and strong wind gusts. Strong deep-layer and low-level shear along front - so *if* some instability can develop - there is potential for tornadoes - but big question mark over instability.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

The NMM is painting a very colourful picture for halloween! Gusty winds and flash flooding if things develop as shown here when the cold font moves in and heads south and eastwards, an interesting weather day coming up!?

post-9615-0-60362800-1351584944_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-33864400-1351584956_thumb.pnpost-9615-0-85087000-1351584962_thumb.pn

Especially for your neck of the woods, you lucky bugger. Mind you, I can only hope that will retain its activeness as the squall comes my way, which I suppose it might. good.gif

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

I'd certainly back the NMM model predictions due to the much higher grid resolutions - Also wind shear and lapse rates are pretty high according to the NMM. Very interesting....

Meto have issued a very localised warning over Cumbria for strong winds and high rainfall totals - http://www.metoffice...0637F31480_1_NW

post-9615-0-19638500-1351594718_thumb.gi NAE rainfall totals

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Especially for your neck of the woods, you lucky bugger. Mind you, I can only hope that will retain its activeness as the squall comes my way, which I suppose it might. good.gif

Makes pretty slow progress the front though, so it probably won't pass over the SE until early Thursday morning.

Plenty of heavy showers with hail and thunder look to pack in across western coastal areas and through the Channel following the front on Thursday.

Posted

HiRLAM coming into the timescale now and showing the possibilities up through The Channel on Thursday morning:

hir_cape_eur57.png

hir_spout_eur57.png

hir_lapse2_eur57.png

The rain now looking 'substantial'

hir_prec_eur57.png

Tornado chances more to the South of us on current predictions:

hir_stp_eur57.png

Plenty of gusty winds throughout Thursday and increasing into Friday:

hir_gusts_eur57.png

Hang on to your hats!

78_45.gif

Posted

A pretty turbulent day coming up tomorrow it has to be said with the risk of some localised extreme conditions materialising. Gusty winds, hail, lightning, flash flooding and also the threat of tornadic activity can't be ruled out if we have some decent instability. NMM 12z highlighting the potential for a marked squall line along the cold front to develop as the colder air undercuts.

post-9615-0-25049800-1351619262_thumb.pn Vertical vorticity off the scale

post-9615-0-39153600-1351619301_thumb.pn PPN rate - very intense

post-9615-0-12704000-1351619326_thumb.pn Wind gusts, 12z upgrades the speeds slightly 40-50mph gusts over land

post-9615-0-83994000-1351619364_thumb.pn Deep layer shear - off the scale

The risk of severe weather then transfers eastwards across the UK, bare this potential in mind if you are out and about tomorrow!

post-9615-0-11493700-1351620145_thumb.pn

post-9615-0-91630400-1351620156_thumb.pn

post-9615-0-50667400-1351620165_thumb.pn

post-9615-0-93944300-1351620173_thumb.pn

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Look VERY interesting from those screen grabs. If I were a kid doing the trick or treat tomorrow night down here, I'd have one on on the nearest shelter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Yes some interesting charts floating about, with the chance of a squall line affecting a good proportion of the country at some point in the next 36 hours. My area may get hit about this time tomorrow. Not sure about lightning chances here, with little instability being shown, but could be some wild conditions for a short while as it passes over. I will look at more charts in the morning and decide whether to dust the cobwebs off the camcorder for the evening :)

Posted

Just a general note for the next few days from me this morning. Looks like we have an extended period of potential for thunderstorms in the far South right the way through to Saturday according to GFS. Might be straining a bit as you look out to sea, but still worth keeping an eye on!

36_20.gif

48_20.gif

84_20.gif

Edited by Coast

Posted

If interested, refer to my post in forecast model discussion re UKMO view re this evening's squally front/line convection/convective wind potential.

Yep saw that one Ian, a lot more technical and professionally presented, but glad it follows what I saw generally and the 'threat' is still for the South coast areas, as we have missed out quite a bit this year!

Posted

Nasty drive to work this morning, the weather is certainly suitable for Halloween! Gusty winds and intense rainfall atm with surface flooding on main roads. Latest radar showing the front becoming more organised and meaning business. Winds gusting 40-60mph over Western areas.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

ESTOFEX have the beginning of things starting in the West for us:

post-6667-0-91566000-1351676237_thumb.png

SYNOPSIS

A complex synoptic scenario will unfold over Europe with several disturbances observed. Over western half of the continent a significant trough amplifying from the deep cyclonix vortex at 500 hPa towards southeast will affect British Isles and Western France till Thursday morning. Next, a short-wave trough moved off the Iberia and is beggining to affect Western Mediterranean. In the strong 500 hPa flow exeeding 20 m/s, the axis of the trough should be situated over the Adriatics by the end of the forecast period. Significant surface cyclogenesis is forecast at the forward flank of the trough. A ridge is forecast to start building over Eastern Europe, behind the retreating trough that will move towards northeast. This ridge is associated with a development of very large high pressure system centered over southern Russia. Between this feature and a large-scale low system over Western Europe a strong southerly low level flow will establish from the Central Mediterranean to Central Europe.

post-6667-0-91566000-1351676237_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Regards todays front . just had a look on radar and sat ,going by latest movements the front looks like coming through slightly slower than what was forecast early this morning ,i might be wrong .already got some gusts here but nothing big yet also the odd very large spot of rain which isnt showing up on radar yet . not the sort of weather for pumpkins to be out and about ,they will need their umbrellas tonight . certainly an interesting day coming ,will todays action hit the headlines ,stay tuned .drinks.gif

Posted

Regards todays front . just had a look on radar and sat ,going by latest movements the front looks like coming through slightly slower than what was forecast early this morning

Latest from SatRep with positioning of the front by 18 UTC:

LOC_20121031_0900.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Just had a gust of 28 mph ,gone very dark towards w/ s west ,still probably a good hour or more before main rain band hits .not sure about any action here ,as quite often the case the worse either further north or south .just need to see a few more dark reds and blacks as it aproaches .looks impressive over wales and west bristol channel .just seen updated Met fax looks good for potential ,cheers

Posted

Just came through here, not particular violent as cold fronts go, 'squall line' much less defined than I expected. Max rain rate of 10.8mm/hr a few minutes ago, no particularly strong gusts. This is a pretty sheltered location though in the rain and wind shadow of the Cambrian mountains. Temp has dropped a couple of degrees.

Posted

heavier rain now and squally winds

edit:- winds didn't last long and all of a sudden died leaving overcast, rain and quite chilly conditions

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

The squall line is building intensity now from the South coast up towards Nottingham.

I seem to be sheltered from the wind now it has shifted, but the rain is very heavy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

The squall line is building intensity now from the South coast up towards Nottingham.

I seem to be sheltered from the wind now it has shifted, but the rain is very heavy.

Indeed it is. drinks.gif

I'm anticipating crossing over my location and about 2030GMT and should reach the London area from approximately 2130GMT onwards, maybe clearing the far East between 2300 and 2330GMT. Having said that, I think it is forecast to drag its feet somehat, even if it maintains its shape. good.gif

post-7183-0-40406800-1351714918_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental. Dry air, storms and snow.

Seem to be in the area of decent rainfall here in Poole, straddling the front of the squall line.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

Just had an unexpected bright flash of lightning here, with torrential rain which knocked out the Sky signal.