Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

snow vs weather lovers...?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Amazing how many more 'experts' start filling up the output model discussion in winter v summer. You can have 30 pages in a day v 30 pages in 3 weeks for the summer.

I think the fast majority on here prefer cold/snow in the winter but not all.

Winter to me needs to be cold, it's no good it being 15C and cloudy. You can get that throughout the British summertime lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

I'm a weather lover and here all year round. I love most things, heavy rain, thunderstorms, short bursts of heat, gales, snow, ice, extreme cold, etc, although if I have to pick my favourite it would be the more wintry stuff, with gales and summer thunderstorms close behind. I have been interested in the weather since December 2010, for obvious reasons, and this is probably what triggered my liking of snow and cold. I also remember some good thunderstorms (June 2009), and living in the south east where thunderstorms are relatively common compared to the rest of the UK, this may have also sparked some interest. I can also remember a really windy few days back when I was 7 or 8, where a massive tree fell just down the road, with numerous other things being damaged.

I love looking at stats as well, some the statistical stuff I find on here is really interesting!

I also visit Netweather year round because it is highly educational, I learn a hell of a lot on here!

Edited by 22nov10blast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Might also find a lot more people are inside on their computers in winter whereas in summer more folks are out & about doing things. Must have an affect...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Amazing how many more 'experts' start filling up the output model discussion...

And they say that Eskimos have many ways of saying, it's going to snow...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Might also find a lot more people are inside on their computers in winter whereas in summer more folks are out & about doing things. Must have an affect...

People who would otherwise post in winter are probably out and about in summer because they have no interest in summer weather, hence the winter posting peak. If winter was snowy and cold for 3 months I'm sure they'd be outside enjoying every minute of it! I know I would.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

People who would otherwise post in winter are probably out and about in summer because they have no interest in summer weather, hence the winter posting peak. If winter was snowy and cold for 3 months I'm sure they'd be outside enjoying every minute of it! I know I would.

Sure they would be out enjoying it although overall people still spend more time indoors than outdoors during winter - even if its snowing. Why else do they put all the best tv & films on in the autumn/winter? I know I'm on the pc more this time of year as the evenings are too dark & cold to be outside (except for going A to B, etc).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Even though traffic slows considerably during the Summer i doubt that all the part time winter posters stay away during the summer because warm and settled is not their thing. I would be horrified if they were all cool and wet summer lovers. I think first and foremost the Netweather forum comes across as a place to discuss extreme and interesting weather. I wouldnt class warm and settled (even though its a rarity at the moment) in that category but i would imagine most people would still hope for warm and settled when out and about in the summer, despite not actually having an interest in that sort of weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'm both; but my snow-loving tendencies have become more moderate, over the years...Having witnessed countless 'Snowmageddon'-type winter ramps (I mean forecasts) amount to nothing - in every case apart from 2009-10, 2010-11 - I've learned to take many an 'expert's' daily 'rampanalyses' a tad less seriously...

Edited by Rybris Ponce

Posted

I'm both; but my snow-loving tendencies have become more moderate, over the years...Having witnessed countless 'Snowmageddon'-type winter ramps (I mean forecasts) amount to nothing - in every case apart from 2009-10, 2010-11 - I've learned to take many an 'expert's' daily 'rampanalyses' a tad less seriously...

I have feeling/fear that one day I will become more like you due to another long run of baron Winters which is really a depressing thought.

Edited by Anonymous21

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Re. Millhouse's post, I think that the popular desire for winter snow is matched by a popular, but less fanatical, desire for a hot dry sunny summer (essentially the opposing extremes like Winter 1963 and Summer 1976). I think the amount of traffic on this forum, and the prevailing desires, strongly reflect this. There are some who like it cold all year round but they are fewer in number.

There are essentially differing degrees of "weather lovers". I feel that the above reflects an above-average interest in the weather, and when I first got interested in the weather, I was much like the above- I always hoped for a good snowfall in winter, while I always hoped for summer to be consistently warm, dry and sunny (inspired by one particularly dry sunny spell which I'm guessing would have been May to July 1989). Instead of 1976/1989/1995-style summers, thunderstorms are also a common starting trigger for such an interest in weather and this is reflected by how busy the convective discussion threads get in summer. I've also seen some people mention strong winds as a factor.

However when one's interest in weather passes above that sort of level, I think one tends to appreciate a wider range of weather types. My present-day interest in convective weather events, and to a lesser extent fluctuating temperatures and strong winds, didn't start until around 1993/94, after I started taking my own weather records and started to develop a wide-ranging interest in the weather as a whole.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers