Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Southwest & Central Southern England Regional Discussion

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Because it activates with shortwave trough from W later and that's part of the forecast complexity

Thanks for all your insight Ian , your a big help to us weather freaks ! When you hinted that it could be 2cm or more , did you mean the uncertainties are not just the areas affected, but it actually may be a lot more troublesome than first thought? Sorry to ask .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Exactly. It's falling as snow now into Nottingham area towards Derbyshire

Suggestive to me that the NAE could be nearer the mark here then, with the main risk of snowfall a tad further east focussing on Central Southern England & into South East.

Posted

Thanks for all your insight Ian , your a big help to us weather freaks ! When you hinted that it could be 2cm or more , did you mean the uncertainties are not just the areas affected, but it actually may be a lot more troublesome than first thought? Sorry to ask .

Both, albeit highest totals progged in any of the 4km suite only tallying 3cm to spot 5cm near London; dusting at most for many but we give 2-3cm a 30% prob based on MOGREPS-R running off NAE, but broad areal scope makes detail impossible in local forecasts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Exactly. It's falling as snow now into Nottingham area towards Derbyshire

On right well that's earlier than thought .

I'm guessing as it reacts with the troughs almost anything can happen , ie increase in size and intensity, or neither !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Meto have an advisory out for much of southern England;

http://t.co/Nj3Ej9l9

Posted

On right well that's earlier than thought .

I'm guessing as it reacts with the troughs almost anything can happen , ie increase in size and intensity, or neither !

Well, the diurnal temperature fall obviously plays a key part but actual settling into early am anywhere will also have a ppn intensity component to bring WBFL right down to the deck for more prolonged phases of snowfall

Posted

Well, the diurnal temperature fall obviously plays a key part but actual settling into early am anywhere will also have a ppn intensity component to bring WBFL right down to the deck for more prolonged phases of snowfall

Right ok , albeit things do look less marginal this evening than first thought , which is a nice supprise, I'm going for 10cm been 700ft Asl !! Only kiddin everyone , wouldn't wanto start that rumour would I !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Hi Ian - completely the wrong thread here, but what do you think about prospects up towards Birmingham and the surrounding areas? The 18z NAE showed a spell of 'pink' or 'snow' over the central swathe of the Midlands at around 5-6am. Is this something you'd concur with?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

well, it's a rain/sleet mixture here, which given the parmeters and elevation here is quite disapppointing...Everything is to the east towards London & the SE....oh, how I loathe them....lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

well, it's a rain/sleet mixture here, which given the parmeters and elevation here is quite disapppointing...Everything is to the east towards London & the SE....oh, how I loathe them....lol

blum.gif It's snowing in MK ...........*runs and hides* ph34r.png

Posted

Yep se has hogged it all. Damn them....

Still plenty of opportunities lie ahead and the sw will come good with the bands running up against the great easterly beast, then the sw will have days of steady snow whilst the rest of the country gets nothing..(only half joking)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Yep se has hogged it all. Damn them....

Still plenty of opportunities lie ahead and the sw will come good with the bands running up against the great easterly beast, then the sw will have days of steady snow whilst the rest of the country gets nothing..(only half joking)

What a let down! I expected a flurry at least! I don't think south west has much a snow chance to be fair in coming week at least or so, channel lows or just lows stalling in right position doesnt't happen very often, we shall get dry cold followed by milder wet incursions is my bet with brief transitional snow possible if lucky at times. dry.png

Back to FI chasing the dream at +200 odd wallbash.gif

Edited by mullender83

Posted

What a let down! I expected a flurry at least! I don't think south west has much a snow chance to be fair in coming week at least or so, channel lows or just lows stalling in right position doesnt't happen very often, we shall get dry cold followed by milder wet incursions is my bet with brief transitional snow possible if lucky at times. dry.png

Back to FI chasing the dream at +200 odd wallbash.gif

I am very optimistic tbh for the next 2weeks, its the kind of set up the sw excels at. No doubt Kent will be measuring snow by the ft, but before Christmas we will be fed with snow and cold in the sw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Yes I can confirm that we have some snow falling from the sky. A wee dusting on the surfaces but mainly icy more than anything. I think that has only happened in last fifteen mins. I doubt it will last much longer... Good thing is means I can wear my coat I bought especially for when it was This cold! Hurrah!!

Posted

Yes I can confirm that we have some snow falling from the sky. A wee dusting on the surfaces but mainly icy more than anything. I think that has only happened in last fifteen mins. I doubt it will last much longer... Good thing is means I can wear my coat I bought especially for when it was This cold! Hurrah!!

Well, if you got something where you are Polar, I would expect to get something here in north Hampshire by 7.30am. The precipitation is moving on a south-east trajectory however and therefore I might just miss out. Keep us posted on what's happening with you.

Posted

Snowing now. Decent sized flakes and lying. I don't suppose we will get much here in north Hampshire, but I am hoping for a covering.