Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion ~ December 4th 2012>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

I realise this isn't as much as some have had, but it's a start!

post-6667-0-90865200-1354698366_thumb.jp

post-6667-0-91213900-1354698372_thumb.jp

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

Had a good 3cms here in sw london a great suprise when i woke up snow has now stoped around 20 mins ago. Looking at the models this morning it should not be to long before we all see our next event. The BEAST is coming !

Posted

Plenty of time yet this winter.smile.png

It feels like this is hors d'oeuvre to me and put it this way, if this was the snow highlight of 2012/13, there would be some very Tuted off people here. biggrin.png

Thank you for your kind words.Can you shut up about your snow now please? rofl.gif

Posted

Oh good grief! Well hopefully it will clear up by 11am. Otherwise I'm going to be rather late.

Going to pop out in half an hour, will let you know what the traffic is like once the kids are at school

Posted

Woke up this morning to a good covering of snow (half an inch) in Thame. Very pleased considering i was a bit sceptical about getting any :-). Good start to the winter, may there be plenty more to come :-)

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

It's snowing and we have a covering, IN DECEMBER!

woohoo :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

That was what most of the NWP models were showing. Two things happened overnight: MetO UKV changed it's tune and went from some wintry showers, to 5cm snow, N London, possibly because what was seen as a decaying occluded front wouldn't be that active. In the event it mixed with a trough coming down from the N Sea just North of London, and interacted with a bit of UHI effect.

In this case, I would still have called it marginal: but, in this case, and for once, we're on the right side of it. Which is a good thing. If you like snow. How many times have marginal situations resulted in a wet, damp, cold, squib?

yes…. the met didn't know the southeast would get any snow till around midnight last night and you had to be on here or following twitter to find that out. This mornings snow could have so easily fallen as rain. Illustrating exactly why quite a lot of folk in here find snow exciting in this country …its quite un predictable, not very regular, difficult to pinpoint like thunder. It's also not around long enough for us to get used to.

Folk in other countries who have a winter every year know how deal with it, they know how to drive in it, not with bald tires and in 1st gear, some runways even have heated strips in em to melt the snow. Most still clear runways with vehicles - they still have delays believe me!

Over here if someone slams their brakes on the M25, spins in 2cm of snow everything grinds to halt or takes 2 hours to get from Hertford to Stevenage.

If we had winters with weeks of fallen snow we would get used to it and probably drive better and the gov would have spent millions on infrastructure.

Anyone here fancy a hefty tax rise to pay for 3 intermittent periods of snow, maybe?

It's going to get cold here with sub zero temps very soon and there will be warnings about that and the gritters will be out - and if it gets too cold the salt won't work and a few of the points out of millions on the railways will freeze.

Come on.. 'stiff upper lip brits' we can cope drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Loads of people are still stuck in traffic, so I'm feeling a little smug having set off early.smile.png

Or am I a mug?unsure.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Sleety Snow just started in Hailsham. This is now officially a better winter than many endured here in the 90's and 000's

Posted
  • Location: near Charing ( Mid Kent between Ashford & Maidstone )
  • Location: near Charing ( Mid Kent between Ashford & Maidstone )

Started snowing here ( nr Charing, Ashford ) at around 7.45am and has been on and off since - big chunky flakes at times and a slight covering on all surfaces.

A lovely start to winter smile.png

Temp +0.2c

Edited by damp patch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

wheres them bits of ppn in the sea going,going over hull atm?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot and sunny, freezing cold and snowy!!

I've got rain here..............!!

Posted

Come on.. 'stiff upper lip brits' we can cope drinks.gif

Of course we can!! I mean, heaven forbid if this were to happen on Friday eh?????

post-6667-0-97053200-1354699531_thumb.jp

http://www.snow-forecast.com/maps/dynamic/uk

54_4.gif

54_31.gif

54_20.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

This will be my first post of the winter,ive being watching the forums these last few days and tried not to get to excited , that was till now, ..

Here in ramsgate it is currently snowing, it started off as rain tuned to snow then rain ,now back to snow, large flakes to boot ,which im just happy to see wth 3 weeks till crimbo, one can only get excited from here on!!

Started the day wth a heavy frost, then the sky went pink, always a good sign!!

Temp dropped to -0.4c currently 1.7c

Reading the model discussion, there looks like lots to keep us interested for the next few weeks, just hope it leads right up till Xmas....smiliz39.gif

Posted

Very light covering here after some big flaky stuff for 5 minutes. Seems to be sticking as -2c overnight and currently 0.7c. They haven't shut the schools yet though - my son will be seething!

Posted

Here is Sarf East Essex Offerings - Not a bad start to winter down here with 2-3cm of Snow

post-24-0-87414500-1354699967_thumb.jpg - Big Flakes

post-24-0-25777200-1354699997_thumb.jpg - Fancy a Dip ??

post-24-0-06293600-1354700027_thumb.jpg

post-24-0-32300100-1354700055_thumb.jpg - Winter Wonderland