Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Observations Of Nature Through The Seasons.

Jane Louise

Posted

Checked the radar this morning and thought looks good for a dry window of a couple of hours so down to the lake. Caught in heavy twenty minute downpour, soaked. And I wasn't the only one.

B 1.jpg

And there was a bit of JawJaw

J.jpg

And keeping a beady

Chick.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

Popped down to the lake this morning in a brief weather window. The seven ducklings are still with us as it the little fella, the cygnet.  In fact there are four more younger ducklings whom I spotted under mothers wings on a little hillock

Sleeping

D.jpg

Time for a dip

D 1.jpg

Streuth forgot about getting back

D 2.jpg

Now where have they gone?

D 3.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Mother Woodpecker feeding its young off the nut feeder this morning.

20160629_062518.jpg

20160629_062450.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

I have been watching the sparrows cavorting around the garden and bird table and feeders of late and their interactions are quite amusing. This morning had twelve on the bird table at the same time which is tad unusual. Mind they don't hang around. A couple of young wood pigeons have also taken to popping in together.

• Like 2

Posted

I was hoping, on returning home, that there would be fledglings in and around the garden, but the birds seem to be keeping a low profile, apart from the Carrion Crow family who have three youngsters this year.

There should be more time to survey the garden properly tomorrow. 

Posted

Spotted a tiny Moorhen chick this morning as it  returned to the nest under the bank (I assume). And when I say tiny I mean tiny, no more than a couple of inches. The parent was close by and took up a vigil at the entrance. I didn't get too close. actually it would have been difficult anyway, because Moorhens are very nervy. And the little fella is still with us but not counting chickens, or swans, just yet.

M 1.jpgM.jpg

Edited by knocker
  • Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, knocker said:

Spotted a tiny Moorhen chick this morning as it  returned to the nest under the bank (I assume). And when I say tiny I mean tiny, no more than a couple of inch. The parent was close by and took up a vigil at the entrance. I didn't get too close. actually it would have been difficult anyway, because Moorhens are very nervy. And the little fella is still with us but not counting chickens, or swans, just yet.

M 1.jpgM.jpg

Great spot, knocker. Hopefully it stands a good chance of survival. 

I'm still surprised at the lack of bird activity here.

Late this afternoon the dog was fussing outside, and after investigating, I found this quite large hedgehog on the patio. Initially I thought it was very lethargic, possibly unwell, but after a few minutes of peace ithedgehog 1.jpg scarpered pronto.

Edited by ciel
  • Like 4

Posted

Clever as a Jackdaw. I hung one of those fat feast in a half coconut shell thingies out using a much longer piece of string thinking that will make it difficult for the Jackdaws to get at it. Not a bit of it as the longer string meant that could move it further which they proceeded to do resting it flat the right way up in an adjacent bowl. Polished off in record time. And a mouse seems to have adopted me, no idea how it got in, so another meal twice a day.

Edited by knocker

Posted

A note about bees. An acquaintance of mine posted this on Facebook. Funny enough I came across just this situation a couple of days ago.

If you see a bee of any description on the floor or not flying other than on a flowering plant, it is STARVING! You can help.
We are currently well into the 'June Gap' - the time between when the Spring flowering plants stop and the Autumn flowers start producing pollen and nectar.
You can help by mixing two parts sugar to one part water and offering the syrup to the bee. She (and they are mostly ladies) will happily drink from a teaspoon. You'll see her little black tongue as she drinks. It will take about 10 minutes for her to convert the syrup to energy, but she will fly away if you've helped her in time. The feeling you get on seeing her recovery and flight is well worth your time.
They can't thank you, so I will on their behalf.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted
On Monday, July 04, 2016 at 19:57, knocker said:

Clever as a Jackdaw. I hung one of those fat feast in a half coconut shell thingies out using a much longer piece of string thinking that will make it difficult for the Jackdaws to get at it. Not a bit of it as the longer string meant that could move it further which they proceeded to do resting it flat the right way up in an adjacent bowl. Polished off in record time. And a mouse seems to have adopted me, no idea how it got in, so another meal twice a day.

A ball of Chicken wire hung up with the feeder hung inside keeps them out knocker.

Posted

News from the lake this morning is not bad. Five of the Mallard ducklings have reached a fair size and should be okay now and the lone cygnet is still with us. There are four other much younger ducklings so it's wait and see there.

They had just been doing some ducking and diving and decided it was time for quick ablutions.

Ducklings.jpg

Just managed to snap this but need some help with indentication

Insect.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
5 hours ago, knocker said:

There were some Jays around this morning

Jay 1.jpgJay 2.jpg

And a Wigeon

Wigeon 2.jpg

They've got a neck!!

Swan neck.jpg

I see no ships

Swan no ships.jpg

Super Jay photo - they are beautiful birds. I see a pair of furry ears in the foreground?

Edited by ciel
  • Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, ciel said:

Super Jay photo - they are beautiful birds. I see a pair of furry ears in the pic?

It does look like that I must admit. I've a better photo but you know the problem of keeping the picture framed using a hand held long zoom.:)

Jay 3.jpg

Posted
On 6 July 2016 at 17:45, knocker said:

Insect.jpg

I luckily managed to snap the male of the species last year

Calopteryx virgo .jpg

• Like 4

Posted

The focus is all wrong in this photo, but this little wagtail fledged this afternoon.

Pied Wagtail Fledgling.jpg

Nice sharp stones though !

Edited by ciel
  • Like 2

Posted
On 07/07/2016 at 21:52, ciel said:

I luckily managed to snap the male of the species last year

Calopteryx virgo .jpg

Lovely snap, Ciel.

We don't have any of them come to the ponds but there is a little burn below the house where we go and spend ages just watching them - so beautiful to look at.

Two young pheasants have appeared out of the woods and seem to like our lawn for strutting about; wonder how long before they are a meal for somebody - not me, hasten to add - I like mine oven ready!

Edited by Nouska
addition
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms

I have finally found the answer!

My little birds are Black Redstarts - Phoenicurus ochruros.

http://www.oiseaux-birds.com/card-black-redstart.html

The adults are feeding juveniles in the garden, and one of the latter took to following me yesterday! It came onto my garden chair while I was sitting there reading, then followed me up the porch railing, until finally coming onto the mat inside the house and looking into the kitchen before flying back out, very calmly and seemingly knowing very clearly from where it had come in. All of them seem very unafraid of me and happily sit very close and come to eat while I am in the garden. When I open the door to the outbuilding they flit in and out and perch on the garden tools. The closeness is very lovely - they don't seem to get worried about my presence - and a lovely contact with nature. Apparently they are on the endangered list in the UK. 

I've also got a sparrow nest in the eves - the parents have been feeding the babes all day. Lots of cabbage white butterflies going in by the beak-full, so we won't complain...

• Like 1

Posted
18 hours ago, Nouska said:

Lovely snap, Ciel.

We don't have any of them come to the ponds but there is a little burn below the house where we go and spend ages just watching them - so beautiful to look at.

Two young pheasants have appeared out of the woods and seem to like our lawn for strutting about; wonder how long before they are a meal for somebody - not me, hasten to add - I like mine oven ready!

Thanks, Nouska, I shall be able to identify the female now.

The photo was taken stream side at our holiday rental last year, just south of Saint-Laurent-de-Cerdans.