Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Observations Of Nature Through The Seasons.

Jane Louise

Posted

Spent an interesting hour this morning watching a couple of young Jays cavorting and eventually falling out and giving it some welly up a tree. The sort of situation if you are lucky you can just get it right or not as the case may be. It virtually always turns as nearly but not quite.

Jay 2.jpgJay 3.jpgJay 4.jpg

Jay 5.jpgJay 6.jpg

And then along came Sidney taking time out from the MOD thread

Jay 7.jpg

Edited by knocker

Posted

Since the youngsters have fledged I seem to get loads of these little fellas flying in in formation. Difficult to tell the number but must be around fifteen. And can they nosh!!

Sparrow.jpg

And then....................................

Jack.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Young Rabbit on the front lawn early'er this morning.

20160717_095323.jpg

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted

Well the little fella is still with us and I'm hopeful it will survive. It's the only one left out of ten. The Mallards have done quite well. A young Blackbird this morning.

Cygnet.jpgBlackbird.jpg

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted
6 hours ago, knocker said:

Well the little fella is still with us and I'm hopeful it will survive. It's the only one left out of ten. The Mallards have done quite well. A young Blackbird this morning.

Cygnet.jpgBlackbird.jpg

Lovely dark and light contrasts in the swan photo.

Good news about the ducklings too. There was an interesting photo in a local rag this morning of a Heron in flight carrying off a duckling.

Posted
9 hours ago, ciel said:

Lovely dark and light contrasts in the swan photo.

Good news about the ducklings too. There was an interesting photo in a local rag this morning of a Heron in flight carrying off a duckling.

I've found by trial and error that standing on one side of the lake and with the sun at a certain angle produces some interesting reflections and light effects. I can't explain some of them but the green effect is definitely enhanced by much algae just under the surface. No need to fiddle with the photo :)

I have to say Swan behaviour is fascinating. The other day they all walked in single file down the path to reach a small connecting lake where they stayed for a couple of days. Then recently I went into mild panic mode as I couldn't initially see a swan anywhere. Eventually I spotted them all gathered at the other end of the main lake, apart from the two with the cygnet, fast asleep! They have been there ever since.

Asleep.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

After today's storms, a Yellowhammer bathing in the temporary garden pond.

Yellowhammer 1.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I've never seen a yellowhammer in my life, ciel; and that's not for the lack of trying (not enough, obviously). Are they the ones that sing 'a little bit of bread and no cheese'? Or is that something-else my younger Bro dragged me off to Ashdown Forest to NOT observe?:D

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Are they the ones that sing 'a little bit of bread and no cheese'? 

Yes, Pete, but they tend to be farmland birds. They are in decline.

• Like 1

Posted

I’m intending to take part in the “big butterfly count” this year, and had a reckkie today of the garden, field edges and verges close to home.  It was not the best weather conditions, overcast but warm with just a slight breeze. The butterfly tally was only three, two Meadow Browns and a Small Tortoiseshell. From a very local observation, there does seem to be a shortage of flying insects this year.

Pretty Harebells in the verges.

Harebell 24.07.16.jpg

Posted
13 hours ago, ciel said:

I’m intending to take part in the “big butterfly count” this year, and had a reckkie today of the garden, field edges and verges close to home.  It was not the best weather conditions, overcast but warm with just a slight breeze. The butterfly tally was only three, two Meadow Browns and a Small Tortoiseshell. From a very local observation, there does seem to be a shortage of flying insects this year.

Pretty Harebells in the verges.

Harebell 24.07.16.jpg

I must admit I haven't seen many butterflies either.

Posted

He doesn't even have a hair do.

This Blackbird has been around for a few weeks. He seems lively and appears to be behaving normally - sunbathing today. His condition is probably due to a parasitic affliction. Hopefully he will recover in due course and grow new feathers.

Bald blackbird  25.07.16.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
11 hours ago, ciel said:

He doesn't even have a hair do.

Bald blackbird  25.07.16.jpg

A mere bagatelle. Poor little fella, looks in a sorry state.

New Zealand Vows to Wipe Out Rats and Other Invasive Predators by 2050

New Zealand plans to eliminate invasive predators by 2050, wiping out opossums, rats and weasels that threaten the survival of native species, the government announced on Monday.

The island nation has a large number of unique animals that face extreme pressure from small, predatory mammals brought by Polynesian and European settlers.

“While once the greatest threat to our native wildlife was poaching and deforestation, it is now introduced predators,” Prime Minister John Key said in a written statement.

“Rats, possums and stoats kill 25 million of our native birds every year, and prey on other native species such as lizards and, along with the rest of our environment, we must do more to protect them,” the statement said.

26NEWZEALAND-web2-master768.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/26/world/australia/new-zealand-animal-predators.html?_r=0

• Like 1

Posted

Just watched part2 of the cracking three part series New Zealand; Earth's Mythical Islands.Not too keen on the giant snails eating habits though. Connects with the article above when one realises how some predators are wiping out some unique bird life. Like Stoats and the Kea for example.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, knocker said:

Need some help with identification please

Un.jpgUn 2.jpg

A young robin just getting his adult red breast feathers would be my best guess.

Posted
26 minutes ago, Gael_Force said:

A young robin just getting his adult red breast feathers would be my best guess.

Yes that was my thinking but the head plumage didn't seem right but that could just be because of the age.

EDIT

Having checked that is right.

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
50 minutes ago, knocker said:

Need some help with identification please

Un.jpgUn 2.jpg

Saw one just like him in my Mum's garden a few weeks back, we were confused at first but also came to the conclusion it was a young robin! Never seen a young one before.

Posted

This bird crashed into the bedroom window early this morning.  He was stunned but recovered after 20mins or so, and flew off apparently uninjured. 

crash thrush 1.jpgcrash thrush 2.jpg

Edited by ciel