Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Discussion - January 11th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Location: hastings riviera 4 last 10 years .born & bred in croydon
  • Weather Preferences: proper seasons ! hot sunny summers & cold snowy winters

ive just watched bbc se weather & i thouhjt it was a bit sketchy with regards snowfall ,more of an ice issue until monday when more in the way of snow was mentioned.Ive just checked the met office site which was updated at 19.02 & it doesnt give snow for my postcode at all just rain & ice .Am i going mad or would i be right in thinking that the bbc & met will firm up on snow nearer the time .I live in hastings by the way ! many thanks

Posted

Losing the plot here! So what has happened to the snow tomorrow? Or could it be one of those surprise days when we get dumped on

So basically we might get a few snow flurries over the weekend but the main event is on monday late afternoon ,is that right,plz can anybody enlighten me

Here's an amended post similar to one I made this morning. :)

Snow possible for areas south of the M4 corridor tomorrow, with a light covering in places. Snow showers on Sunday in Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex and maybe Kent, some showers pushing inland at times too. Monday into Tuesday could provide a significant fall of snow for the vast majority in this region. Snow potential continues thereafter, cold - v.cold conditions continuing with sharp frosts overnight.

Posted

The problem with Brighton is that it's on the coast so it's difficult to forecast that area, snow is harder to fall on coasts due to sea warmth and lack of height.

We've done quite well in recent years, even from frontal events. And last year we had frontal snow albeit that melted straight away! I have about 50M altitude as well. Just surprises me that others have heavy snow in forecast and we have rain! Will hopefully change though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

temps here 1.8.c dp 1.4c

Edited by Mike Storm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

Took me ages to think of one but hopefully the snow levels are "Higher in Higham" over the next week!

NW have me @ 60/60/95/95% for the next few days *fingers crossed* good.gif

Edited by anything-but

Posted

Ok here's my take on things.

A lot of people seem to be confused as to how much snow we will get. It depends on your height above sea level to a certain extent. we will get snow but no one can predict the true amounts it is a wait and see situation.

In an easterly wind feed the people in Kent and near the east coasts can get convective showers (the nearer the coast the colder the temp needs to be for snow showers due to the warm body of water nearby) which cannot be forecast by any models till they are very near the time frame.

Convective showers can be very heavy and persistent and can add cm's of snow to the frontal snow we are expecting from Monday onwards.

The talk is of frontal snow NOT convective snow so some on here will be surprised with what they get over the next few days.

All this talk of no snow is silly and confusing to the newer members just look forward to Monday we get a little taster over the weekend and the main from Monday onwards.

And also the model thread has moved past this weekend and they are looking at next weekend with all the dangers of model watching it involves best to stay in your regional thread for a better idea of what is going on.

Hope that clears things up for some on here.

This post mainly relates to what happens after the weekend.

Edited by Snow Queen one

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

Mullerred in Motspur Park

Waiting for Pub Run

Edited by fluid dynamic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 'Big talk' weather....:-)

Going shopping tomorro what's the betting ppl will be panick buying pushing and barging ppl out the way for the last loaf of bread !! X

They were already doing that here in Biggin....it was like Christmas over again at Waitrose mega_shok.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: proper seasons ! hot sunny summers & cold snowy winters

Many thanks snow queen one drinks.gif

Posted

Loving all this prospect of snow, yes it does become a nightmare for me to get around but this year unlike last year I'm a little more prepared that I have a sledge for my son so he can sit on that instead of attempting (and failing) at pushing a buggy in it!

Can't wait to build a snowman my sisters little boy has his heart set on a snowman and snow dog!!

Looking at one of the posts looks like almost continuous snow fall for my part of the world from Monday.

Hello to any other Ipswich folk!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Anyone just seen the BBC News 24 forecast at 7.30pm? My god that was quick! Blink and you would miss it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Winds will initially be onshore for anyone living close to the coast on Monday - so snow might not be possible till this is cut off as the low passes across the region. The channel could well be a spolier as sea temperatures are relatively high for this time of winter due to the mild weather recently. This will keep dewpoints higher till the onshore wind is cut off. However into Tuesday it looks a lot better and the snow might be slow to clear - so anyone near the coast may well make up for lost time thensmile.png Plus it looks like there could be a lot of snow showers afterwards anywayclap.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

7.9mm? 8cm for Ipswich! :D

Oooh! Yes I've just had a look at the latest run and it's looking particularly good. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

"Hello to any other Ipswich folk! "

Hello to you, Masked_Firefly. Also in Ipswich. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything and everything

Anyone just seen the BBC News 24 forecast at 7.30pm? My god that was quick! Blink and you would miss it!

i did and thought the same. Shame as I missed the main one too.

Posted

I wanna know what happened to Sky news weather on the hour with the girls oh and Francis lol now all we get is a summary pathetic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything and everything

I just ventured into the model thread and got out pretty quick. Very easy to get confused in there and the bickering drives me mad. Much happier in here :)

Just been looking at my MEtO 5 day and they are currently going for snow showers during day on Monday with heavy snow for the evening rush hour. Great for me as I will be home from work by then (and whether I manage the 18 mile journey the next morning remains to be seen), but not so great for my fiance who leaves for work at 6pm and will be driving his lorry all night in it.

Am always torn as I love love love the snow, but then end up worrying each night when he is out in it :/

Posted

Off for a Ruby now check back in later to see Johns Fax charts blum.gif

Posted

I just ventured into the model thread and got out pretty quick. Very easy to get confused in there and the bickering drives me mad. Much happier in here smile.png

Just been looking at my MEtO 5 day and they are currently going for snow showers during day on Monday with heavy snow for the evening rush hour. Great for me as I will be home from work by then (and whether I manage the 18 mile journey the next morning remains to be seen), but not so great for my fiance who leaves for work at 6pm and will be driving his lorry all night in it.

Am always torn as I love love love the snow, but then end up worrying each night when he is out in it :/

Yes could be nasty time to be on the roads,unfortunately I am on day shift in Docklands both Monday and Tuesday with a 60 mile drive home,plus I cannot leave until my opposite guy gets in and he is coming from the same direction.So good luck to everyone travelling next week and be safe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Some very good cold weather advice from George....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VOMwSThHQqU

......probably as good as any other TV weather forecast atm angel.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Right I'm going to the shops to stock up on some essentials.

1) 3 new sledges (1 each for my boys, and 1 for me and Mrs Leigh D to share)

2) 5 loaves of bread and 8 pints of milk (just incase we get snowed in for days)

3) A big ladder and lamp post cleaner.

4) Some beer 😇

5) A flash torch just incase the lamp post stops working in the extreme cold 😱

That should do us fine. 😄😄😄😄