Snowangel-MK

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

I guess, but that won't be until Monday as every other day looks dry.... I guess I'm impatient... Haha

Wouldn't it be terrible to have all this cold air in place and not have a good snowfall across the whole region!

In western areas it goes out with a bang

Hopefully not going too far off topic. I would pay £100 to see a decent fall of snow and a week of cold temperatures but after that I suspect I would have had enough of disrupted trains, supermarkets low on food and petrol stations running out. Hopefully the utilities would remain on otherwise it would be unpleasant very quickly. Then again I have worked a few ski seasons so have experienced months of cold and snow already.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

I don't know what I want really 20cm of snow with it turning milder after a few days....or much colder but much drier....difficult!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

Hopefully not going too far off topic. I would pay £100 to see a decent fall of snow and a week of cold temperatures but after that I suspect I would have had enough of disrupted trains, supermarkets low on food and petrol stations running out. Hopefully the utilities would remain on otherwise it would be unpleasant very quickly. Then again I have worked a few ski seasons so have experienced months of cold and snow already.

If the nights get colder than this I will start to get a bit worried about pipes freezing etc.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Interesting point there. Some people can get their snow fix by going to the Alps etc and seeing 2 meters of snow. That however does nothing for me at all. I like to see the landscape I know so well change......have I got some sort of non sexual fetish!? haha

If the nights get colder than this I will start to get a bit worried about pipes freezing etc.

Is your loft very well insulated? Do you have a header tank in the loft? For anyone who does it can be a real problem. Insulating your loft keeps the house warmer, but the loft space much colder as that feed of warm air from you living area disappears. When it gets very cold for a number of nights, I open the loft hatch a tad to raise the temperature by a degree or two. I know it means more heating, but it's far cheaper than a burst pipe!!

Edited by suffolkboy_

Posted

I don't know what I want really 20cm of snow with it turning milder after a few days....or much colder but much drier....difficult!

Definetely the 20cm of Snow then turning milder

I follow everything weather related in winter because I'm a snow freak ;-)

I don't follow models etc because I'm a cold freak ;-) (if that makes sense)

For me to look back at 2012/13 being a good winter I would look for snowfall amounts, that's what makes it memorable for me, not how many days we had with cold dry air and daytime temps of 1c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Hello folks,

Thought I would pop in and see how you people are are enjoying the weather. I'm interested because I lived in the Waveney valley for a while before coming down to Dorset in the late 80's. my folks moved back to Harleston in 2004.

Anyway, I was telling my kids this evening about the snowfalls we had in the 1980's and just wish they could experience something like that here..maybe Friday?

So, from a very envious snowmantic, enjoy the weather and goodnight.

Hi Lewesdon, snow all melted here but Norfolk has done very well with more heavy snow showers today.

I think the models are trending well for your location in Dorset as classic cold patterns of the past have forecast the snow too far East,thus dumping the snow in the South West!

So the kids may get some life long memories at the weekendsmile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

I said to my dad in November last year that we may see a winter to remember...could I be right? I mean the CFS mean temperature for the coming 10 days is on average 5-6 degrees below average...astonishing!

Edited by PerfectStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Still -5.2C here with some mist/fog. Not a breath of wind an lovely clear sky.

Off to bed now, up at 5.30 to drive to work (Colchester). Be interesting to look at what temperatures are being reported around dawn.

Long day of model watching tomorrow!

Snowy dreams all!

PS. Anyone between Felixestowe and Clacton....keep an eye out to the East.....decent shower incoming, could give a dusting within the next hour or two

Edited by suffolkboy_

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

I said to my dad in November last year that we may see a winter to remember...could I be right? I mean the CFS mean temperature for the coming 10 days is on average 5-6 degrees below average...astonishing!

Ninja Winter mate, We have no idea whats gonna happen. . .. Models look TO good to be true. Right poker game this one.

Posted

Wowzers

Norwich @ -8c Temp and -9c Dewpoint as at 00z

Marham @ -9c Temp and -10 Dewpoint as at 00z

Both reporting Freezing Fog!

Very Impressive!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Reposted from the previous London & SE thread:

Paul Sherman, on 15 January 2013 - 22:57 , said:

I think what a lot of people in here have got to realise it and Darren (Kold) touched upon it earlier this evening, these are NOT your normal synoptics, unless you were born Pre 1982 you probably will not remember these types of cold spells, yes in those days the blocks were so huge the Atlantic took 3 maybe even 4 attempts to get through but when it did end it was an almighty snowstorm, so what if the block holds firm this weekend, who cares and what would be the pay off, pretty decent if you ask me.

If that low undercuts, and then heads off east through France it will drag in an Easterly or East North Easterly, so there is your pay off.

Please have a look at the archived charts from winter 1979, 1982 and others throughout the 1980's and you will see how these Synoptic Set Ups played out!

Posted

Just been reading a poultry-keepers' forum and people in the USA (Idaho) are saying it's -23C. Not sure I'd want that for weeks on end, frozen hosepipes and all, but managing livestock in it takes some imagining. It's -7C here, coldest it's been for about 2 years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

"By Friday the potential is there for disruptive snowfall to spread in from the west, risk of blizzards, warnings will be updated"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/

.......scroll down for UK forecast video.....(oh and it's John Hammond presenting it wub.png )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

Unbelievable, -11c now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

We're on —8ºC. Don't hold out much hope for my seedlings in an unheated greenhouse plus bubble wrap plus fleece. Oh well…

Posted

Well done Norwich the fun has started. Friday could be immense.good.gif

Posted

Wowsa. Ramp ramp ramp on Carol K's early morning forecast. Widespread heavy snow. Detail still patchy but the Midlands should get 15-20cm. The front needs to track slightly more Eastwards for our region to be in the sweetest of sweet spots.

Posted

Meto Weather for our region Today/Tonight.

East of England

Headline:

Mostly dry but remaining very cold.

Today:

Very cold with some low cloud or areas of freezing fog at first, perhaps lingering in some places all day, but sunny periods will develop. Scattered light snow showers are possible, mainly in coastal areas. Maximum Temperature 0 °C.

Tonight:

Very cold with a severe frost returning and patchy freezing fog becoming a little more widespread. Mainly dry, but the odd snow shower is still possible near the coast. Minimum Temperature -10 °C.

Thursday:

Remaining very cold with some sunny spells, although cloud tending to increase later. Most places dry, but a few snow showers are still possible near the coast. Maximum Temperature 1 °C.

Updated: 0535 on Wed 16 Jan 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Summers, Snowy Winters

We don't want that precipitation on Friday to reach us. The further west it stays the better chance we have of locking ourselves into prolonged cold. If we miss out Friday bigger things will definitely be around the corner for us in the east!

Posted

Morning all..

-10.1C here currently, tad nippy! Got another hour or so for that to drop too!

See Marham is recording -11C

And before anyone asks, I haven't got the thermometer on the ground. My Davis is set up at over 2m from ground level.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

We don't want that precipitation on Friday to reach us. The further west it stays the better chance we have of locking ourselves into prolonged cold. If we miss out Friday bigger things will definitely be around the corner for us in the east!

Normally talk of a Greeny High and deep cold from the north east I would take with a pinch of salt.

But when it comes from two posters like Recretos and chino I sit up.

Shotski

Well done Norwich the fun has started. Friday could be immense.good.gif

You aint seen nothing yet