Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Conditions tonight are about as marginal as the evening of the 28th Nov 2010, when I was anticipating a thaw at low levels. The 29th brought school closures, thundersnow, and 15cm of fresh snow here, although it was wet. Tomorrow is a completely different setup, but it shows that we can sometimes do well right out to the coast even when it looks this marginal.

There's some droplets of water on my window, I hope we haven't just had a RAIN shower, I wasn't looking when whatever it was went through!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

Conditions tonight are about as marginal as the evening of the 28th Nov 2010, when I was anticipating a thaw at low levels. The 29th brought school closures, thundersnow, and 15cm of fresh snow here, although it was wet. Tomorrow is a completely different setup, but it shows that we can sometimes do well right out to the coast even when it looks this marginal.

There's some droplets of water on my window, I hope we haven't just had a RAIN shower, I wasn't looking when whatever it was went through!

I'm expecting a wintry mix or sleet and wet snow which won't lie and may even melt out existing cover.

Got a bad feeling about this event.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

I think NAE may well be on the money with PPN totals, the topography of the North-east means that under this scenario for the next 24 hours 30mm is probably widely achievable......there is some modelling that suggests an element of air mixing in with upper temperatures of less than -5, especially toward the coast, this has not been indicated in the south and east of England (where lower uppers have been present) and accordingly, most/all PPN appears to have been snow away from the coasts. I suspect we may need around 500' of elevation to 'buy' us the insurance of getting a 1:10 rain-to-snow ratio, which if it comes off will bring much of County Durham and Northumberland east of the A1 to a complete standstill, especially if the council take the approach they did yesterday morning of waiting until the snow ceases prior to road treatment (Sensible IMO though). If I was guessing I would suggest that where good snow cover is present, more will come, where snow has been thawing rapidly today, sleet and wet snow may be the best on offer tomorrow.

From a personal perspective Id like to see us all get 30cm + and get on with business as usual and send a giant 'ha ha' to the soft southerners.....

Posted

I'm expecting a wintry mix or sleet and wet snow which won't lie and may even melt out existing cover.

Got a bad feeling about this event.

I certainly won't be surprised tbh. The snow is already thawing here now, I think my street is looking a bit slushier than it did a couple of hours ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

BBC Forecast for Leeds shows heavy snow from 10pm this evening to 2pm Monday afternoon. smile.png Please be right!

Edited by Barking_Mad

Posted

Had a bit of rain here, but a lot of snow remains in tact.

Am 244ft asl apparently. Thought I'd be lower to be honest. Hopefully it's high enough and further enough away from the coast for the snow to be, for want of a better word, snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

I think NAE may well be on the money with PPN totals, the topography of the North-east means that under this scenario for the next 24 hours 30mm is probably widely achievable......there is some modelling that suggests an element of air mixing in with upper temperatures of less than -5, especially toward the coast, this has not been indicated in the south and east of England (where lower uppers have been present) and accordingly, most/all PPN appears to have been snow away from the coasts. I suspect we may need around 500' of elevation to 'buy' us the insurance of getting a 1:10 rain-to-snow ratio, which if it comes off will bring much of County Durham and Northumberland east of the A1 to a complete standstill, especially if the council take the approach they did yesterday morning of waiting until the snow ceases prior to road treatment (Sensible IMO though). If I was guessing I would suggest that where good snow cover is present, more will come, where snow has been thawing rapidly today, sleet and wet snow may be the best on offer tomorrow.

From a personal perspective Id like to see us all get 30cm + and get on with business as usual and send a giant 'ha ha' to the soft southerners.....

Darlington council are out gritting priority 1 routes now so there prepared here all gritters have snowploughs attached as well

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

Darlington council are out gritting priority 1 routes now so there prepared here all gritters have snowploughs attached as well

Gav do you think it will be snow in darlington? i am at my parents house in darlington until tuesday

Posted

Can only assume the Durham boys are sat in the pub....roads around Consett haven't been done since....well actually I don't know maybe last night???

Posted

Gav do you think it will be snow in darlington? i am at my parents house in darlington until tuesday

Aye confident of snow here very rare we miss out having some elevation and a decent distance from the coast

Posted

If its raining now it'll be even warmer rain tomorrow I'm afraid. Look outside now and enjoy it while you can.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

I certainly won't be surprised tbh. The snow is already thawing here now, I think my street is looking a bit slushier than it did a couple of hours ago.

We've been experiencing a gradual thaw for about 48 hours now.

As I say, unless temperatures drop considerably I don't see this event delivering for us.

Posted

I'm surprised by the rain/sleet reports considering dewpoints are lower than last night, I think the air will be cold enough personally, the question is just how heavy any PPN will be.

There has been a little bit of a thaw here but because of the low dewpoints, its a very slow thaw.

Posted

The Air temp have been hovering around 2.0°C for the past few hours now here

Pressure is down to 996.8hPa now

Posted

Use this link for live road temps and dew points, its via North Yorks highways but you can scroll up to all of the North East

http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=13516

DPs are generally well below freezing with temps either side of zero so I am little surprised with the reports of rain....perhaps some local 'urban heat island' effect or a layer of warmer air messing with things....

Posted

very light hail/snow here - not much sign of melting here today - local tynetees news weather forecast just talked about snow for tonight and tomorrow but did show a rain symbol right over the coast and also some sleet symbols,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn and Winter

Standby Standby, it's going to be fun overnight..weather warnings are coming in. If your out and about be careful !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

Standby Standby, it's going to be fun overnight..weather warnings are coming in. If your out and about be careful !

has the met upgraded our weather warnings?

Posted

Back to wet snow here, but its definitely a wet sleety mix, not hail or grauple.

Posted

I do remain a bit hopeful, no mention of sleet/rain on on ITV - will take with a pinch of salt.

However on Friday the meto had rain for us here and they were wrong.

Edited by Emma Jayne Agar