Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

I still don't know what to think, the weather pro app I have on my iPhone which is basically metro group/ weather cast has been forecasting all snow here for Monday for the last few days and still is, I don't know what model they use.. Perhaps ECM if they are a European company.

The met office if forecasting nothing but sleet for hebburn, but if I choose Newcastle it says heavy snow until at least 12. So my thoughts on that are does the met office computerised forecast system use a station closer to the coast for hebburn, because I would say it has a more similar climate to Newcastle, if not better than the centre.

Tomorrow I'm back to Uni, and I'll expect heavy snow in the rush hour to it, so if the metros are still running and I get there I'll be in central Newcastle most of the day, which is normally a touch warmer due to urban heat island effect, if it turns to rain there it could still be snowing at home I've known it before where jarrow had lying snow last year and in Newcastle it was sleet.

I'm inclined to think with Evap cooling snow may last until dinner time at home in hebburn, and then who knows after Evap cooling may loosen it's affect due to the warm sector whenever that arrives, and it could turn to sleet and rain, we'll just have to see!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All extreme weather especially cold and snow!

I still don't know what to think, the weather pro app I have on my iPhone which is basically metro group/ weather cast has been forecasting all snow here for Monday for the last few days and still is, I don't know what model they use.. Perhaps ECM if they are a European company.

The met office if forecasting nothing but sleet for hebburn, but if I choose Newcastle it says heavy snow until at least 12. So my thoughts on that are does the met office computerised forecast system use a station closer to the coast for hebburn, because I would say it has a more similar climate to Newcastle, if not better than the centre.

Tomorrow I'm back to Uni, and I'll expect heavy snow in the rush hour to it, so if the metros are still running and I get there I'll be in central Newcastle most of the day, which is normally a touch warmer due to urban heat island effect, if it turns to rain there it could still be snowing at home I've known it before where jarrow had lying snow last year and in Newcastle it was sleet.

I'm inclined to think with Evap cooling snow may last until dinner time at home in hebburn, and then who knows after Evap cooling may loosen it's affect due to the warm sector whenever that arrives, and it could turn to sleet and rain, we'll just have to see!

I'm pretty sure the BBC use Tynemouth as the nearest weather station for NE31 AND NE32 postcode areas cos that what appears on the BBC mobile weather app on my mobile.

I for one will be glued to the N/W radar tonite (sad,i know),with fingers crossed!!

Edited by Jarrow Posh

Posted

I'm pretty sure the BBC use Tynemouth as the nearest weather station for NE31 AND NE32 postcode areas cos that what appears on the BBC mobile weather app on my mobile.

I for one will be glued to the N/W radar tonite (sad,i know),with fingers crossed!!

Yeah that's what I thought,

And we're hardly tynemouth climate hahaha.

It's a weird one this as I know it's going to make my morning potentially hell but I still want it LOL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Light snow here in gloucester atm. Forgive me if im wrong but looking at raintoday looks like the stuff from London is moving more westerly?

This is the north of England thread

Posted

From Matt Hugo on Twitter

Away from the coastal strip then yeah 5cm to 10cm possible in and around Newcastle, but rain/sleet possible near the coast.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

From Matt Hugo on Twitter

Away from the coastal strip then yeah 5cm to 10cm possible in and around Newcastle, but rain/sleet possible near the coast.

I'll let you all know whats falling at the coast going to be touch and go here but modelling on some sites have the 'milder' core about 20-30 mile offshore. There's quite a bit of difference of lying snow in South Shields, in the centre of Shields there's little snow cover but where I live we still have a couple of inches albeit icy. We had another slight covering last night/early morning as theres about half a cm covering on paths that had been cleared. BBC graphics on News 24 weather have rain/sleet for our area today but the very light showers on and off this morning have all been snow/graupel.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 70 degree's in the summer, snow in the winter

Spent last night in south shields ANC there was heavy snow showers. But the inch of snow on the car roof from falling in Nunthorpe had nearly all melted by the morning.

Just got back and there us an inch on the other car back in Nunthorpe from what ever happened yesterday.

So what's going to happen today? Nothing until the early hours then a good dumping?

Posted

The met office has heavy snow down the road from me in prudhoe starting at 1800 tonight and going unabated until light snow takes over at 0000 on tuesday. If happens we will be digging out for a week.

Posted

The met office has heavy snow down the road from me in prudhoe starting at 1800 tonight and going unabated until light snow takes over at 0000 on tuesday. If happens we will be digging out for a week.

Yeah saw that and a strong wind to go with it.

Amber warnings have been issued for parts of eastern Scotland wouldn't be surprised to see one for NE England

Posted

I think the met office are in the process of updating their warning's,amber warning now for parts of

Scotland 20cm's+ snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: It's all about the white stuff!

The Met Office have Jarrow as heavy rain/sleet tomorrow :( really hope they are wrong!

Posted

I think the met office are in the process of updating their warning's,amber warning now for parts of

Scotland 20cm's+ snow.

Looks like its just parts of NE Scotland for now

Posted

Latest bbc forecast had orange warning right over our heads but they are predicting more snow than they were for that part of wales that had a red.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 70 degree's in the summer, snow in the winter

Place your bets!!

What time so you expect the snow to arrive on our region?

As I am at the Southern end I don't mind being the adjudicator

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Place your bets!!

What time so you expect the snow to arrive on our region?

As I am at the Southern end I don't mind being the adjudicator

You'll be hit at 22:37, not specifying whether it'll be rain sleet or snow yet.

Posted

Tomasz Schafernaker has just said an amber warning in out for us with 10 to 15cm of snow (3 to 5 inches in old money) for inland areas high parts will see the most as is normal an factor in a strong wind its going to be right winters day.

I bet we don't get a BBC 1 snow special tomorrow night!!

Edited by Gavin.

Posted

Heres a few photos I took at South Shields seafront on Friday evening around 8pm.

post-5386-0-44798400-1358686957_thumb.jp

post-5386-0-05564700-1358687034_thumb.jp

post-5386-0-99540400-1358687063_thumb.jp

post-5386-0-90938100-1358687079_thumb.jp