Hot?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Good questions. I think the skew-t diagram for East Lothian is quite revealing:

http://cdn.nwstatic....tLothian-00.png

It indicates shallow instability up until around the 800hPa level, but a layer of dry stable air between 600 and 800hPa which will be capping the convection and thus encouraging spread of convective cloud into stratocumulus. The instability is proving sufficient to give light flurries from north Yorkshire northwards but insufficient to give a sunshine-and-snow-showers type scenario.

The current set of skew-t forecasts for Tuesday/Wednesday suggest less of a dry stable slot at 600-800hPa for Tuesday so the easterly on Tuesday is more likely to bring heavier snow showers with sunshine in between, but the flow becomes more stable again on Wednesday. I should really have looked harder at the skew-t forecasts for this weekend in advance.

Great post, going to share this in the Scotland Thread.

Hope your snowshields all pack in and decide to let the snowmaggedon in ! Best Of Luck from your hopefully snowed in neighbours !

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Reports of snow settling in Skegness!

Got to also remember Lincolnshire has a shorter sea track than up here so you got to be careful of not getting too excited by these reports and really, its all now just about what falls out of the sky up here.

I suspect it will be a sleet turning to snow event, hopefully the snow will be dry enough to settle and not be the case of nothing being added or dare I say, even thaw what snowcover we do have.

Posted

Hello all, first post of the year.

That front looks rather week, is it supposed to intensify?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Snowing in Penrith and settling, the radar shows random precipitation growth across the County ahead of the main band even in Coastal West Cumbria!

Andy

Posted

Barnard Castle checking in. -0.2 air temp, Light graupel right now. Almost zero thaw today woth 7-8cm lying. Looks like we're at ground zero for tonight's action.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

I think its going to 2-3am before the main band gets here. Off to bed. Could be a fun drive to work.......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All extreme weather especially cold and snow!

Quite an encouraging post from Stewart (GP) in the technical model thread emphasizing a return (If we ever leave it) to a cold regime around the 28th Jan (a week Monday) from a NE/E, he even states that the models could do a marked turn around come the weekend. He's certainly put his cards on the table and if this comes to fruition I expect you folk inland and elevated are going to have a rough time especially if theres no breakdown in the current conditions..!!

Just had a look at the 18z run from GFS and from t276 onwards(FI I know), there are some excellent Synoptics showing for a prolonged and pretty severe wintry spell,especially for the north and east of the uk

Posted

Snowing in Penrith and settling, the radar shows random precipitation growth across the County ahead of the main band even in Coastal West Cumbria!

Andy

Posted

Surprised to hear penrith has settling snow there is nothing in thé kendal windermere area ter however it bodes well for out prospects incidentally temps in penrith rose High today up to 3 degrees

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

NMM has a strong trough like feature hovering around us from 5pm to 3am on Mon-Tues, this after the heavy precip throughout Monday morning.

This could be very snowy in parts, extremely so- whilst it could also be VERY wet around the coastline.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

After reading all the reports from down south as well as looking at the charts I am going to call this as a sleet and snow mix at my location with no accumulation. We will know if I'm right in the morning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All extreme weather especially cold and snow!

Radar broken?

wbSbX.gif

Yep,both net weather and met office radar stuck at 22.25,talk about bad timing!

Edited by Jarrow Posh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I think you'll get 5cm by the morning and easily more afterwards Alza.

Band making steady inroads whilst pivoting now... into North Yorkshire.

I would love it if you were right! I'm coming off here now and I'm not checking any weather forecasts until the morning or else this uncertainty will just kill me! A thin layer of grauple has turned the tyre tracks white again on my street.

Edited by Alza