Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

Why does anyone away from the coast think we'll get rain? It's snow and it's a case of how much we'll get.

Im with you paul tall snow all the way

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Band hitting Boro now-

expect a lot of pivoting and twists and turns, with VERY heavy (stronger than that nr Scarborough) to be around our region in a few hours time.

my9LguL.png?1

Edited by Isolated Frost

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

Yes IF,that band stretches a LONG way!

Bloody hell surely the met must give us some red warnings if that lot hit

Posted

Snow here in Durham. My Wunderground feed has gone weird, but it still updates - just doesn't register on the widget thing - now at 0.8 / -0.7°C with blowing fine snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I think with the kind of intensity you're going to be looking at that it's bound to be snow away from the immediate coast, even if it's starting as rain. Huge amount of latent cooling will be going on and temperatures are likely to be kicked down quite substantially.

Posted

your joking surely?

If it was the SE they'd be working out a way to invent a beyond-red warning.

Posted

Definitely a red warning if all that came here, but there is only some of it coming (which is still a huge amount- amber material).

Moderate blowing snow here... band making quick inroads through Teesside, any reports?

Posted

Snow here... my only concern is that DPs look quite similar to GFS predictions, which might mean that we get 4-6 hours of snow before 6 hours when DPs are too high and it goes sleety.

Thoughts?

Posted

I wonder if going by the graphics and looking at the radar, we'll see a "cold" version of what Cumbria experiences but with a cold ESE'ly flow with cloud and PPN stretching a long way but battering the East coast, the BBC graphics do seem to indicate that.

That said, it does not mean it will be constant PPN and this is shown by the gap in the PPN, which looks genuine rather than poor radar coverage.

Posted

The scariest period is 3am-7am Nick- and that coincides nicely with the coldest temps.. after that, most models have all snow for Durham. If you have snow falling when you wake up, I'd be VERY confident.

Posted

Definitely a red warning if all that came here, but there is only some of it coming (which is still a huge amount- amber material).

Moderate blowing snow here... band making quick inroads through Teesside, any reports?

i don't agree regards the red warning.it is the last port of warning and using it in a flippant manner would eventually lead to loss of life.

this is only a bit of snow and the METO have only released a red for that once before.which didn't turn out as bad as prior thought.

Posted

The scariest period is 3am-7am Nick- and that coincides nicely with the coldest temps.. after that, most models have all snow for Durham. If you have snow falling when you wake up, I'd be VERY confident.

Sounds good... just hope that if doesn't go sleety at those times, because a few hours of heavy sleet would wreck my cover!

Posted

hail falling blowing horizontally in the wind, still no dripping sounds, encouraging reports of snow starting to fall in Teeside area

Edited by gazzac69

Posted

i don't agree regards the red warning.it is the last port of warning and using it in a flippant manner would eventually lead to loss of life.

this is only a bit of snow and the METO have only released a red for that once before.which didn't turn out as bad as prior thought.

A few days ago in Wales, you mean?