Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

London & South East Regional Discussion - January 19th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Well ^^ im glad im only renting for a year here- poxy Thames- to close......

I rate our chances for tomorrow as 6/10- i think we will have between 2 & 5 cm of snow-

hopefully though the temp will play ball...

S

I know!! Location here is useless because of height & the Thames!

Was up at west kingsdown earlier & such a difference!

Cheers though Steve.... Fingers crossed

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

Do you think anyone of us will ever be happy with the snow in our part of the world?

What would be your dream?

I think this spell has had a lot of expectations and been built up quite a lot what with the SSW Events, but realistically it is only on a par with some of the mid 2000's events, this is certainly NOT a 1987 or 1979 or 1991, not to say it cant grow into that, but just a very normal very typical Uk Winter spell at the moment. Bits and pieces of snow and nothing to write home about......................Yet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

In fact the METO warnings update rather confirms the lack of marginality and extent of the snow tomorrow and if anything the highest snowfall closest to eastern and south eastern coasts:

A band of snow is likely to spread northwards across parts of southeastern and eastern England during Sunday afternoon and evening, bringing accumulations of 2-5 cm snow to some areas, and perhaps in excess of 8 cm towards coastal counties of southeast and eastern England. The public should be aware of the risk of disruption to travel.

All the apps/ predictions of snow today are based on enough convection to develop a streamer-

I think I said from day 1 the parameters dont look great- The windflow/ DPs are good- surface temps are fine-

Its the clouds & convection thats quite low plus the gradient isnt that strong-- the highest potential seems to be later today & into the early hours-

The snizzle could give way to some moderate bursts -5 on the scale- but this will be localised...

tomorrow the models put most of our region on the edge of the heavy stuff-- I will be gutted again if we in NW kent are on the periphery & it snows heavy to our east- talk about dry slotted 3 out of 2 days...

anyway I would like the temps down later as early as possible- hate looking at damp roads- was great last night looking at the glaze...

S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

Just driven from Wakering, through Rochford, Canewdon, Hullbridge, Rayleigh, Eastwood and back to Wakering again and I must say the snow is pretty much lying the same in all these areas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Temp is 1c with snizzle lazy.gif

Posted

NEW Meto Weather Warning

Going for 8cm plus for most. Oooooooh I'm gonna ramp, I'm gonna ramp!

Issued at: 1220 on Sat 19 Jan 2013

Valid from: 1200 on Sun 20 Jan 2013

Valid to: 2359 on Sun 20 Jan 2013

A band of snow is likely to spread northwards across parts of southeastern and eastern England during Sunday afternoon and evening, bringing accumulations of 2-5 cm snow to some areas, and perhaps in excess of 8 cm towards coastal counties of southeast and eastern England. The public should be aware of the risk of disruption to travel.

Edited by Halling Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Two locations I see on here often make me wonder how they are pronounced: Lyminge and Meopham, anyone able to enlighten me?

CD

Are you a typical Essex girl? Grammar less? Lol ;-)

Posted

Two locations I see on here often make me wonder how they are pronounced: Lyminge and Meopham, anyone able to enlighten me?

CD

Li- minge

mep- ham

Hope that helps

Posted

Okay this is of the latest NAE PPN totals..

Will update later... good.gif

post-12648-0-87928900-1358598471_thumb.j

I'm in the middle of the yellow & green overlay, does that mean I get between 10-18cms rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Temp 0.6 and light snow here in Petts Wood/Locksbottom borders.Looking at tomorrow,I have dreaded feeling those in this part of NW Kent could be on the edge of things like Steve M said.Yesterday ,we were about 6-10 miles too far East of the heavier snow,tomorrow got horrible feeling we will be about 15-20 miles too far West!!Is there a flipping warm shield over this bit of NW Kent??Anyone got anythoughts?aggressive.gif .

Also,if after tomorrows events, skies clear and temps drop that would be a good thing as that Helen Willets on BBC24 showed as that low sliding from the West on Monday afternoon could hit us in evening with maybe another potential dollop for SE?Thoughts anyone?

Posted

i do hope north kent gets a plastering i.e medway towns i no we had alot 2 years ago and peaple are saying that but i want snow to take the kids out lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Typical I'm in the red zone,what a surprise,whilst the south are under yellow,sorry to moan but I can't believe that being as close to the Kent border as I can,yet again its looking like disappointment.hoping for upgrades today,please

Posted

I think this spell has had a lot of expectations and been built up quite a lot what with the SSW Events, but realistically it is only on a par with some of the mid 2000's events, this is certainly NOT a 1987 or 1979 or 1991, not to say it cant grow into that, but just a very normal very typical Uk Winter spell at the moment. Bits and pieces of snow and nothing to write home about......................Yet!

I agree. I just can't see 'big' snow arriving at the moment. Tomorrow is now being built up but we aren't talking about really heavy snow and large accumulations - especially when some parts of the area have had a foot or so of snow in recent years (I know not everyone has) average of 5cms isn't that much

Temp 0.6 and light snow here in Petts Wood/Locksbottom borders.Looking at tomorrow,I have dreaded feeling those in this part of NW Kent could be on the edge of things like Steve M said.Yesterday ,we were about 6-10 miles too far East of the heavier snow,tomorrow got horrible feeling we will be about 15-20 miles too far West!!Is there a flipping warm shield over this bit of NW Kent??Anyone got anythoughts?aggressive.gif .

Also,if after tomorrows events, skies clear and temps drop that would be a good thing as that Helen Willets on BBC24 showed as that low sliding from the West on Monday afternoon could hit us in evening with maybe another potential dollop for SE?Thoughts anyone?

you were to far east fri. to far west Tom & so far North Mon.....

Maybe to far south Tues-?

S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

All we got was a dusting which is melting away

Posted

i do hope north kent gets a plastering i.e medway towns i no we had alot 2 years ago and peaple are saying that but i want snow to take the kids out lol

Do you only take them out in the snow?blum.gif

543960_393966697362549_1359127604_n.jpg

It's becoming a lot clearer where the snow will fall now however the models seem to sway the precipitation from West to East and back again, so areas that are forecast to only have 1-3cm may have a little less or a little more.

Generally speaking areas in the purple could see between 7-12cm (3-5 inches) once this band of precipitation leaves, perhaps scraping 6 inches above 150m.

Areas around the coast might have a marginal set up meaning snow might become sleet during the day.

The precipitation will stick its nose in around 8-9am tomorrow morning in Kent during Sunday rush hour (for those who work). So please take care and avoid driving on the roads unless necessary between 9am-6pm as the nature of this snowfall could be very heavy.

From Facebook..

Purple Area pushing into Surrey.. Think little over doing it

Edited by Surrey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Steve, looking for your knowledge as got asked a question on the Scottish Regional thread which I reckon you will know.

What is best to look at for upcoming / incoming convective activity. Looking out east at that mass of Stratocumulus is there anything to look out for on the mesoscale models that indicates where showers may pep up or is it a case of just watching the radar or satellite.

Thanks in advance.

you were to far east fri. to far west Tom & so far North Mon.....

Maybe to far south Tues-?

S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Cheers Steve M!!,i was after reassurance,now i am fully depressed.Hope your were only joking but the way things have gone/going to go,probably you weren't!!

Posted

I would like the temps down later as early as possible- hate looking at damp roads- was great last night looking at the glaze...

S

Totally agree with that. Damp slushy roads and pavements look so dull and dreary. Love the cold, dry air and the crispy crunch of snow underfoot. The orange haze of tungent light reflecting off the glazed crystallised surface. Back to the radar......