Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 20/01/13 18z ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

If the ground temperature goes below 0°C, would the snow start to stick even on wet ground? So far tonight, the only snow that has stuck has been on leftovers from Friday and on car roofs.

evap cooling cools the slus. Down that makes it easier to stick

Posted

If the ground temperature goes below 0°C, would the snow start to stick even on wet ground? So far tonight, the only snow that has stuck has been on leftovers from Friday and on car roofs.

I would think so yes Edited by greybing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

yeah that was quite bad...but we do need to see temps and dp's going down a lot, what is the upper air temp now?

-6C right now, elsewhere -8C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

w70uur.jpg

btch ass heavy stuff ever so close to our east. Talk about scraping the barrel lol. Looks like the Pennines are blocking it out :S

Infact I'm quite annoyed to see I've ended up in the middle two heavy heavy blobs to the West and to the East! I'd have to say, that's an Orographic shadow.

Edited by Snowmad79

Posted

-6C right now, elsewhere -8C.

could really do with seeing that down to around -8C too, not sure if its progged to or not.

dp is 0.7 slowly falling, temp 0.8C static 0.o

Posted

The snow has got a little heavier recently, if it carries on like this for a couple of hours it should stick to all surfaces smile.png

If the ground temp is at 0C then the wet surfaces would turn to ice, helping the snow stick more readily.

Edited by Brass_Monkeys

Posted

exactly right if the surface was 0C it would be cold enough to form ice. All that is needed is heavier prolonged precipitation.

Posted

could really do with seeing that down to around -8C too, not sure if its progged to or not.

dp is 0.7 slowly falling, temp 0.8C static 0.o

Temp 0.6C DP 0.5C here. Uppers are fine. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

w70uur.jpg

btch ass heavy stuff ever so close to our east. Talk about scraping the barrel lol. Looks like the Pennines are blocking it out :S

Infact I'm quite annoyed to see I've ended up in the middle two heavy heavy blobs to the West and to the East! I'd have to say, that's an Oreographic looking shadow.

What time is that from?

Heavy here currently and that green is not far away.

Posted

The snow has got a little heavier recently, if it carries on like this for a couple of hours it should stick to all surfaces smile.png

If the ground temp is at 0C it then the wet surfaces would turn to ice, helping the snow stick more readily.

You'll also need to factor in any surfaces that have been gritted (salted) as this will need 7-8 degrees lower to freeze (i.e. -8 to -10C) will take much longer for snow to accumulate here at the current levels. Heavier falls will settle more quickly on gritted surfaces though.

Posted

Temp 0.6C DP 0.5C here. Uppers are fine. smile.png

temps are still a little on the marginal side, but should come down later..i hope

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

What time is that from?

Heavy here currently and that green is not far away.

Thats the latest image from NW premium.

Posted

temps are still a little on the marginal side, but should come down later..i hope

Heavier echoes are to our west, annoyingly!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Hc im off to bed now what do you think will happen overnight. Will it just be light to moderate or on the heavier side

Posted

Just watched BBC news 24 forecast, said possibly more snow tomorrow night moving into NW from Wales.....and that heavy stuff is so close nr Huddersfield area which is just over the hill from here

Posted

You'll also need to factor in any surfaces that have been gritted (salted) as this will need 7-8 degrees lower to freeze (i.e. -8 to -10C) will take much longer for snow to accumulate here at the current levels. Heavier falls will settle more quickly on gritted surfaces though.

I agree, my reply was quite vague and by all surfaces I was meaning footpaths, grass etc, not gritted roads :)

Posted

Hc im off to bed now what do you think will happen overnight. Will it just be light to moderate or on the heavier side

maybe a couple of cm, say 2/5cm , its hard to say, but there is a lot of precip on the west side of the pennines towards us, but it looks kinda light.

Posted

Heavier echoes are to our west, annoyingly!

have you see whats heading directly west towards us on the radar, and its just pepping up all the time 0.o

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Well its been a steady snowfall herefor the last couple of hours, quite heavy too, easily couple of inches now on pavements and about an inch road cover, cars covered in it, grass almost white now, still coming down heavy. No wind at all now, very quiet out there and sky looks full of it.