Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Regional Discussion 26th January 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Morning regional peeps!

Chucking down here in Benny Hill, some signs it might be brighter later.

Still looking windy overnight tomorrow into Saturday, but hopefully not quite the monster projected earlier in the week:

ukwind.png

gfs_gusts_eur39.png

Edited by Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep snow, thunderstorms, heatwaves

Starting to get really really scared about the 7th now

John knows his onions, really starting to think I should postpone my holiday

Posted

Nice blue sky here this morning. Any rain is passing to the south and north of me. Lovely jubbly!

Looking forward to a bright day, to get things done on my day off.

Posted

Here's some interesting thoughts this morning from the overnight GFS run, just for a bit of fun eh?

138_20.gif

150_20.gif

162_20.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Morning all,

It's a bit gusty here today...I don't think I'll be able to hold on to my hat so best not wear it today me thinks !!

Have a lovely day one and all.....it's nearly the weekend good.gif

Posted

Starting to get really really scared about the 7th now

John knows his onions, really starting to think I should postpone my holiday

Yes that would probably be the sensible thing to do, I mean its only at T168 - Nothing FI about that now rofl.gif

Posted

GFS Free atmosphere meteogram shows the cool down in London (specifically, but representative of our region) for 5th Feb onwards:

MU_London_avn.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Morning all. :) Bright and breezy here. A good force 6 wind blowing at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep snow, thunderstorms, heatwaves

Yes that would probably be the sensible thing to do, I mean its only at T168 - Nothing FI about that now rofl.gif

I just saw the results when heathrow cancelled flights last time etc, people having to sleep on terminal floors, I have a flexible ticket and am staying with a relative out there so have been thinking whether I should change the date as am scared Heathrow will close or cancel flights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Well if the ecm,is ön the ball here, then sustaind cold with plenty of snow chance,more so for us south east with -8 850hpa, sustained for some time once established gfs not so sure and has many more signs of wanting warmer sector back quicker,albeit with still cold incursions of sort.but if gfs performance were picked at over previous output so far this winter,then you would most likely have take that with pinch of salt.all to play for in regards probable further cold....and maybe prolonged blocking.

Posted

Just had more info on the meteor that it happened at 21:03 it has been seen in Yorkshire and Nottingham

Indeed Tom. Several reported sightings over on Ukww as well.

Posted

Can I just say, that is one of the biggest fronts I have ever seen on a Fax chart..

Here's how it looks from a satellite:

ASII_20130131_0830.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Watching that squall on radar should be hitting here soon, looks to be lossing some of it's intensity though.

Posted

I just saw the results when heathrow cancelled flights last time etc, people having to sleep on terminal floors, I have a flexible ticket and am staying with a relative out there so have been thinking whether I should change the date as am scared Heathrow will close or cancel flights

hi cw

too far too worry yet

certainly looks cold but snowfall not easy too predict

hold fire for 2 or 3 days before doing anything if you can

be more reliable checking what the fax charts say

Posted

northwood_analysis_mslp.png?31415

Can I just say, that is one of the biggest fronts I have ever seen on a Fax chart..

looks like british rail has expanded smile.png

Posted

60th anniversary memorial to be unveiled for 1953 flood victims

normal_Rescue_operation.jpgA SPECIAL memorial will be unveiled in Mablethorpe on January 31, 2013, to remember the 42 people who lost their lives in the Great Flood of 1953.

On January 31, 1953, at around 5.30pm, sea water breached the coastal defences, causing widespread devastation along the East Coast, with Mablethorpe and Sutton on Sea being two of the worst affected communities.

Former Mayor of Mablethorpe and Sutton on Sea, Helen Parkhurst, raised funds for a memorial as part of her civic engagements in 2010. Helen will be joined by local people to unveil a six tonne, Norwegian Granite rock, with a commemorative plaque on January 31.

Helen, explained: “The memorial rock, which is the same type as those used in sea defences, will provide a lasting memorial to those who lost their lives in 1953’s flood. I would like to thank all those people who have made this possible for the community, including Robert Howell, who provided and transported the rock to its resting place.â€

The rock will be located by the skate park, North Promenade, Mablethorpe.

Prior to the rock’s unveiling a memorial service will take place at the former Dunes Theatre, now the Dunes Complex, on Mablethorpe seafront, organised and funded by Mablethorpe Town Council. The memorial service starts at 2pm and local people are invited to attend. The memorial unveiling will take place thereafter.

Mayor of Mablethorpe, Joyce Taylor, said: “January 31 will be a chance for the community to reflect on what happened in 1953 and to commemorate those who so sadly lost their lives. I would encourage the community to attend the memorial service or take a moment out of their day to reflect on the sad events of January 31, 1953.â€

Leader of East Lindsey District Council, Councillor Doreen Stephenson, said: “I would like to praise the work of Helen on providing a lasting memorial to the community in Mablethorpe and also Mablethorpe Town Council in organising a memorial service. Although 60 years have passed it is important we remember that flood risk is still an issue we face and that we must ensure we’re all prepared should sea waters breach our defences again in such a way. I do hope the community can attend this service and memorial unveiling.â€

As part of the commemoration, John Monk MBE who helps to run the Meridale Centre in Sutton on Sea, will be hosting an exhibition that focuses on Mablethorpe and Sutton on Sea during and after the flood, with personal accounts and photographs. The exhibition will take place from January 26 to January 28 between 10.30am and 4.30pm. A service conducted by the Revd Peter Liley to remember those who lost their lives and those affected will take place on Sunday, January 27, immediately after the exhibition.

Since 1953, a lot has changed along the Lincolnshire Coast. Sea defences are now stronger than they’ve ever been and emergency services have a robust plan in place for dealing with future incidents of coast flooding.

The Lincolnshire Resilience Forum is continuing to remind people about the importance of being prepared for East Coast flooding and is reminding people that they should sign up to Floodline on 0845 988 1188 and complete their own personal flood plan at www.lincolnshireprepared.co.uk.

twitter-icon.png

Posted

60th anniversary memorial to be unveiled for 1953 flood victims

twitter-icon.png

:good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Thankfully tomorrow looks much improved on what was suggested earlier in the week with no disruptive/destructive winds to worry aboutsmile.png This time last year we were just starting a cold spell with snow in the first week of February that stayed for a week. Can the same happen this year? At least in terms of another cold spell with snow a week or so later than last year?cold.gifair_kiss.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring, Autumn, Snow ..... not, I repeat, not heatwaves!!

Thankfully tomorrow looks much improved on what was suggested earlier in the week with no disruptive/destructive winds to worry aboutsmile.png This time last year we were just starting a cold spell with snow in the first week of February that stayed for a week. Can the same happen this year? At least in terms of another cold spell with snow a week or so later than last year?cold.gifair_kiss.gif

Goes to show, nothing in this country can be forecast effectively > t+24hrs