Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 05/02/13 08 -------->

A.J

So peeps,

Are we only in for a spell of "preceded by" oan Wednesday then, or is there something better oan offur fur Kiltland?unsure.png

Did ah ivir tell yees that ah hate fkn rrrrainwhistling.gif

Big Innes

No, it's rain preceeded by a snowflake :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

ECM this morning will get the ramps out of retirement if it continues that trend.. a carbon copy of what I was on about yesterday evening. Didn't expect it to show up overnight though..

Very bullish retrogressing the UK high, and also progressive with the lobe of vortex spinning round.

Monster long shot for that to verify at day 10. Would be magic..!

The phrase 'In the freezer' would be apt for this.Not pinning all my hopes on this exact outcome but the trend for astronger block is good to see. maybe a more fitting end to winter than was projected yesterday in the padded cell which is the model thread!

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

No, it's rain preceeded by a snowflake rofl.gif

Ah hate fkn rrrrain cray.gif

Ah like a Snaw flake wink.png

Big Innes

Edited by Big Innes Madori

Glasgow Airport METAR going for snow early tomorrow morning, between three and six:

TAF EGPF 120500Z 1206/1306 09008KT 9999 FEW035 BECMG 1303/1306

BKN012 TEMPO 1303/1306 7000 -SN BKN008 PROB30 TEMPO 1303/1306

1400 SN BKN003 =

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Are we only in for a spell of "preceded by" oan Wednesday then, or is there something better oan offur fur Kiltland?unsure.png

Either that or a period of "followed by" i.e slush and a quick thaw if the predicted temps for Thu & Fri are accurate.

Much as I'd love that ECM to come to fruition, I'm not getting my hopes up in the slightest. However, there is one slim hope on the horizon from the alternative weather models stable. I'm up for Jury duty Wed next week. As a result the wife's parents are coming up from Englandshire to help out and take over school run duty. Every time, and I mean every time, including during the summer, they have been to stay with us since we moved to Aberdeenshire it's been cold during their stay. My mother-in-law seems to think Aberdeenshire is the coldest place on earth and is less than keen on the area as a consequence.

As for this morning, well it wouldn't surprise the mother-in-law as it is calm, gray and cloudy, and cold (around 1-2 deg C) with just a very, very light dusting of overnight snow in Kemnay.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Unexpectedly really really cold here this morning.

Oh wait, that'd be inside the house with the boiler having gone on strike so no heating and no hot water and four pensioners and me in the house... :p

Just as well we've a working fireplace and fuel, hot water bottles and stone pigs, and in my case forty thousand cosy jumpers and the odd old fur coat :)

Tomorrow apparently. That's when we can have an engineer. Nice.

It will be interesting to see how long the precip stays as snow tomorrow. I suspect not long the further west and lower down you are. I won't be able to judge what it's like here as the boy Catches are going home tomorrow so we will be out all day. Could be an interesting drive though, but I said that on Sunday ;)

Posted

Either that or a period of "followed by" i.e slush and a quick thaw if the predicted temps for Thu & Fri are accurate.

Much as I'd love that ECM to come to fruition, I'm not getting my hopes up in the slightest. However, there is one slim hope on the horizon from the alternative weather models stable. I'm up for Jury duty Wed next week. As a result the wife's parents are coming up from Englandshire to help out and take over school run duty. Every time, and I mean every time, including during the summer, they have been to stay with us since we moved to Aberdeenshire it's been cold during their stay. My mother-in-law seems to think Aberdeenshire is the coldest place on earth and is less than keen on the area as a consequence.

As for this morning, well it wouldn't surprise the mother-in-law as it is calm, gray and cloudy, and cold (around 1-2 deg C) with just a very, very light dusting of overnight snow in Kemnay.

is ita bad thing shes not keen on the area?? wants to leave quicker ;-) hehe

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

is ita bad thing shes not keen on the area?? wants to leave quicker ;-) hehe

I couldn't possibly comment on that. wink.png

In the other hand I will admit that I will be having trouble not putting weight on next week as she's a good cook.

Posted

-9c 850s and SEly flow still equates to +3c here on the Fife coast. Makes you wonder just how cold the 850s would need to be to see air temps near freezing...sub -12c?

Posted

I reckon if we can't shift this cloud cover today and early overnight then it's game over tomorrow. Temps just not low enough with that sitting over us. Same old story this winter!

Posted

Model agreement is building around a more settled period of weather with temperatures steadily falling next week and more likelihood of frost and fog. Things are definitely moving in the right direction for more deep cold than we have seen so far this winter. Still far from certain but another step forward this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

06Z following the ECM and going for height rises to the NW

http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20130212/06/240/npsh500.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

A grey, cold and raw Shrove Tuesday morning here. 2.3ºC but feels colder. Best go make some cakes of pan to heat myself up. Speaking of which...

Pancakes

Today, I wake without a plan

but know I must make cakes of pan.

The stuff of life placed in a bowl,

I stir and mix to make it whole.

The flour, the sugar, the runny eggs,

the salt, the syrup and milky dregs,

I mix and stir until it's smooth,

then set a flame upon the stove.

Dollops of batter one, two, three

bubble up with merry glee,

I flip them over one by one

making sure that they don't burn,

and when they're done and looking great,

I pop them out onto a plate,

the finest breakfast in the land,

Shrove Tuesday morning cakes of pan.

And just to veer vaguely back on topic:

post-736-0-91898800-1360666836_thumb.jpg

Posted

As expected the latest Met warnings exclude pretty much all eastern coastal areas - including Edinburgh and most of the Lothians. Not surprising.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

As expected the latest Met warnings exclude pretty much all eastern coastal areas - including Edinburgh and most of the Lothians. Not surprising.

I have low expectations it keeps me sane!

Posted

Good morning. Tomorrow's snow event certainly does have the potential to be the most significant of the winter. The conditions of course could be more favourable but a few factors are going our way this time. Overnight tonight, before and during the time of the arrival of the front, temperatures should be close or a degree or two below freezing and the fact that the snow is meant arrive before dawn is also a positive factor. The ground should also start dry and the precipitation is very likely to start as snow and it's vital that the snow settles as quick as possible. Another factor is that the precipitation could also be pretty heavy in places which would increase the chance of settling snow. And if all goes well, and the snowfall settles instantly, then there is a chance of having at least 5hrs worth of fairly heavy snowfall and I wouldn't rule out many areas seeing atleast 4-6cm. But of course, things can change but for sure at higher elevations this will be another significant snow event and accumilations on the high ground should easily reach 10cm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I think lack of heavy precipitation rather than lack of cold is the reason - inland Fife, stirling, Perthshire, Angus and Aberdeenshire look good for a pasting (3+ inches) up to about 5 pm. Temperatures will head down this evening, we'll lose the easterly breeze supplying the cloud (and a few flurries) and hopefully by morning temperatures will be sitting below 0C virtually everywhere. The cold pool at surface level looks very resilient and will only leave after the positive uppers push through and turns precipitation to rain from above. Other hotspots include AWT and catch's houses, although not as intense for the latter as in the aforementioned areas and not as long lasting for the former.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted

Can't say I'm sorry about that. Snow>rain or snow>thaw events don't float my boat at all. I know it's sacrilege to say on here but I'll be happy to miss out tomorrow. ;-)

Posted

Can't say I'm sorry about that. Snow>rain or snow>thaw events don't float my boat at all. I know it's sacrilege to say on here but I'll be happy to miss out tomorrow. ;-)

I tend to agree with you although if the kids can even get enough to be outside for an hour or so it'll be worth it.

Posted

Just had a wee snow flurry.

Saying that clouds seem to be indicating that we may be due a shower here bloody cold so if anything does brew up it will defo be snow