IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Regional Discussion 6th February 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

BCiLtm3CQAAWamb.jpg

humm

Hi Surrey

That was posted last night and is more than likely out of date now, especially for the sw.

Still looks good for our region tho (well most of our region).

Updated yellow warnings should be out soon

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

Not true the M4 is a proven division between fridgid air to the north and subtropical air to the south. Theres a force at work with the M4 than no one understands, its a bit like the Bermuda Triangle smile.png

Indeed, during the last ice-age the glaciation stopped it's journey south about where the M4 is, today.

Posted

until the next in house runs come out ...................................

bit early for a punt tim. i think you are a bit low for peterborough based on current thinking.

Absolutely, and that is where the biggest difficulty comes. We are having a hard enough time monitoring the track of the LP and subsequent rain/snow line....the totals are something that I don't think we will be sure of even 6 hours prior to this event. I'm certainly envisaging amber warnings in place by tomorrow, I'm wondering whether we will even see a red pushed out during Sunday itself as this is likely to spring a few surprises.

5-15cms would be a rough estimate presently in the favoured zone (wherever that may end up) - though given the marginality at play, 25cms could be the sweet spot.

SK

Posted

until the next in house runs come out ...................................

bit early for a punt tim. i think you are a bit low for peterborough based on current thinking.

Fair enoguh BA. If I was working for the Meto I wouldnt have a wild punt... What do you rekon for Herts? wont hold you to it. Ive found the highest pub in the Chilterns (Near Tring) for lunch on sunday.. Fancy a Pint ?... Wont publish the name here or I won't get a table lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Might be because winds follow through the bristol channel and along the thames creating a warmer pocket of air due to reletively warm waters, along what looks like the M4 but really the estuary and river

Edited by PerfectStorm

Posted

Latest met office warnings not great for our region - but could change.

I suspect it will be snowing on the observatory deck of the shard (c.300m asl) if all else fails.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow all the way

And that was that..... Meto just issued new warnings and Im now out of the yellow, suprise suprise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

The Met Office have just updated their warnings.

The north of the region more favoured currently.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

wow the snow line moves north on monday, does that mean the low does not move south as thought before?

Posted

Donta Panic about the warnings. they will change and they are only just updating them. I empect an amber to appear over the Pennine regions shortly and wouldn't be at all supprised to see the yellow come further south. Worst case scneario even coastal sussex / kent could see snow falling and sluchy accumulations, they only issue warnings if its deep and disruptive

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

Donta Panic about the warnings. they will change and they are only just updating them. I empect an amber to appear over the Pennine regions shortly and wouldn't be at all supprised to see the yellow come further south. Worst case scneario even coastal sussex / kent could see snow falling and sluchy accumulations, they only issue warnings if its deep and disruptive

hi tim are we still ok? Can't get on the metro site.....

Posted

Are the warnings automated or do they have human input..?

Posted

Lovely another wet weekend in Kentcray.gif

Are the warnings automated or do they have human input..?

Human input

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!!

I think, realistically, the time has come for us all to build a new settlement ..........

Absolutely brilliant, you've certainly cheered up my day. I'm off to get equipped with shovels....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

I knew it last night we need the center of the low to move further south to get the cold air here, why does it want to sit on top of us.

Posted

Wow

Was not expecting that from the Meto with the warnings, Must have some new data on how that area of Low Pressure is going to behave.

Not looking good at all atm rofl.gif If thats the case they are surely not expecting it too exit SE and into Europe now, stronger Easterlies further North as a result affecting Wash Northwards with convective snow showers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

I think, realistically, the time has come for us all to build a new settlement (the name is up for grabs - all suggestions welcome) somewhere inland from the Thames Estuary (probably somewhere around N Kent), and for us all to embark upon it.

It will be a lot of hard work, but if everyone can report for duty in the spring, armed with a shovel, we will start digging up some land, and shifting it into a large pile. We will also need some dedicated patters, you know, to pat the mud down for stability. The eventual plan would be for us to create a hill large enough for us all to build houses (most likely igloo's) on, and probably needs to be circa 250-300m in elevation. The mud will have to be dug in a circular shape surrounding the new settlement so that we can create a moat to keep out any mild rampers.

If we can all stick in a tenner too, i'll look into getting an industrial snow machine from one of the ski resorts, so that in times where it is simply cold and dry, we can have some snow on the ground. Also, I would suggest ditching the car in return for a snow-mobile or husky and sledge, as we will be incorporating a new cooling system underneath the roads to ensure that snow settles in any marginal situations.

We'll work on the minor details such as sanitation, electricity and gas supplies whilst we're digging

SK

Leave the earthworks and construction to me, I'm a Civil Engineer CEng MICE :)

Posted

Blimey!! Just shows this has a long way to go yet and nothing is set in stone. Two days away and we still haven't a clue!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms & all extreme weather

U won't see any further changes today. But hopefully tomorrow will see some southward corrections to the warnings