Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 08/02/13 00z ------->

A.J

Posted

hmmmm, I'm supposed to be flying to Newcastle from Southampton at 8:55am on Monday,hiring a car and driving to Durham. Could be interesting.................help.gif

I'd book a snowplough for that drive!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

I'd book a snowplough for that drive!

Oh really......? Great, I've got a poxy Peugeot 107 on hire, aka Bambi on ice!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

It's quite a decent day out there really considering it's early February. Some sunshine, light winds and 6.4C. It really is surprising how those few extra degrees of elevation that the sun has now makes the ambience of the day so much better once it gets out from behind those dreaded clouds.

Edited by Gibby

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

It's quite a decent day out there really considering it's early February. Some sunshine, light winds and 6.4C. It really is surprising how those few extra degrees of elevation that the sun has now makes the ambience of the day so much better once it gets out from behind those dreaded clouds.

It does feel particularly nice out there today after having an (overall?) greyish January. Certainly for me anyway. :)

Posted

It does feel particularly nice out there today after having an (overall?) greyish January. Certainly for me anyway. smile.png

it was gorgeous this morning when i got off the train in Fleet. Sun just rising and i was surprised to find the platforms and carpark were covered in patches of black ice. Certainly no ice in Bournemouth when i left!

Come on 12z's, let's see everything shifted south (i appreciate that there will have to be a massive change of luck if Bournemouth are to be involved in anything wintry....) before we start to look forward to spring and longer, warmer days (hopefully).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW GALES LIGHTNING

Correction South West on the 12z's then guys ?????? Fingers crossed ...

yep and no more snow dances look what they done yesterdayblum.gifblum.gifblum.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

yep and no more snow dances look what they done yesterdayblum.gifblum.gifblum.gif

Yes this guy really in the Dog house today

post-18298-0-82489600-1360337358_thumb.j

post-18298-0-65743800-1360337378_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Lets hope for a last super upgrade... clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

I am still a little shocked with the extent of the downgrade for all of us when even pro's from the met were bullish about this being a south west snow event. I expected downgrades to maybe just a modest covering but never an all rain event. sorry.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Previous snow event is no longer. Warnings all moved north from what i can see as opposed to yesterday Metoffice warnings.

Ian F also confirmed less risk here but may see a little snow.

Posted

Lets hope for a last super upgrade... clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

I am still a little shocked with the extent of the downgrade for all of us when even pro's from the met were bullish about this being a south west snow event. I expected downgrades to maybe just a modest covering but never an all rain event. sorry.gif

Agreed!

It's been a frustrating winter for us if u like snow. a couple of events so far.

Doesn't surprise me though.

Even though some LRFs were hinting at 'battleground' scenarios this Winter and everyone got excited, it's worth remembering that although these have 'delivered' for us in the past, quite often in my lifetime they've become North & East/south & west split affairs for the Winter.

Generally that seems to be how this winter has/and continues to be panned out.

we've been on the 'wrong' side more often than not.

A noticeable feature of this coldish winter so far(well, it hasn't really been mild except for part of January) has been any lack of deep cold for a few days, even at night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Agreed!

It's been a frustrating winter for us if u like snow. a couple of events so far.

Doesn't surprise me though.

Even though some LRFs were hinting at 'battleground' scenarios this Winter and everyone got excited, it's worth remembering that although these have 'delivered' for us in the past, quite often in my lifetime they've become North & East/south & west split affairs for the Winter.

Generally that seems to be how this winter has/and continues to be panned out.

we've been on the 'wrong' side more often than not.

A noticeable feature of this coldish winter so far(well, it hasn't really been mild except for part of January) has been any lack of deep cold for a few days, even at night.

This Winter has certainly not been cold here, last Winter was colder and it was a tedious, boring one at that.

Dec/Jan's mean temp here have been above my average and February is running above average too.

Posted

Your right bristle boy I have not seen one minus double digit this year and we often a get a few days with the occasional -10/-15 range but this winter has struggled to even drop below about -3/-5c on a couple of occasions which showed when the snow did fall with many areas getting a constant slow thaw from warm ground temperatures below.

I do get myself wound up every winter and I should really just let go of it but it's an obsession. fool.gif

Maybe in a few years we will all be labeled with some strange kind of medical term? S.D.D. Snow deprivation disorder help.gif

Edited by mullender83

Posted

This Winter has certainly not been cold here, last Winter was colder and it was a tedious, boring one at that.

Dec/Jan's mean temp here have been above my average and February is running above average too.

I was trying to be diplomatic, in case i got jumped on! LOL!

Yes, you're right it feels about average overall, temp wise.

Posted

Be thankful for what we had i guess, and for me that was some sledging with my family and a bit of skiing to boot

Posted

Your right bristle boy I have not seen one minus double digit this year and we often a get a few days with the occasional -10/-15 range but this winter has struggled to even drop below about -3/-5c on a couple of occasions which showed when the snow did fall with many areas getting a constant slow thaw from warm ground temperatures below.

I do get myself wound up every winter and I should really just let go of it but it's an obsession. fool.gif

It's been a 'near miss' Winter in the West..oh i hate that expression! A near-hit i mean.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny or Cold and snowy

I'm properly in spring mode now, nice sunny weather most of this week and feels nice in the sun, not long until daylight is a lot longer and only 6 ish weeks until BST! Spring warmth can't come fast enough.

Posted

I see early stages of GFS 12Z are even more progressive in pushing rain even further North! Could end up a damp squib for all in the UK at this rate!

Ciao..for now. Thatcher's time in an hour.

Posted

I'm properly in spring mode now, nice sunny weather most of this week and feels nice in the sun, not long until daylight is a lot longer and only 6 ish weeks until BST! Spring warmth can't come fast enough.

Spring may end up being better for snow than winter yet I do enjoy the heavy falls of snow you can get followed my an almost tropical day. fond memorys of running round fields in april with shorts and t -shirt jumping around in snow drifts air_kiss.gif

Posted

This winter has really turned to be terrible once again evreyone hypeing up snow pontetial the completely blows away to nothing think im gunna move to canda least they get decent snow most of the winter

Posted

Coast, i`m afraid it looks that way bud. But hey, bring on spring and hopefully nicer year as opposed to last.

Posted

keep-calm-it-s-not-over-yet.png

Coast not even you can sugar coat this one...

post-8911-0-72353500-1360340989_thumb.gi

Posted

Coast not even you can sugar coat this one...

Maybe not for you guys here (or even me on the South East coast) based on current projections, but there are still some chances slightly up country and Winter isn't quite over yet.......

Edited by Coast