Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion 10th February 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

e8fc903f4305480ea9ed3e0.png

98b59a39b9ca4235b7e8c37.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Had 6.5cm in total today. Pretty happy with that. Went for a drive in the Wolds earlier, the drifting was immense in places nearly blocking some roads, people really struggling in their cars with a few people stuck or stranded. My winter tyres served me well and managed to get around fine. Main roads were a nightmare, snow coinciding with rush hour is always a disaster!

Posted

No idea what's coming down now as the windows are all covered up with snow/sleet/what ever - and it's too wild to tempt me to go out and find out

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Is there a way to see live upper air temps or do we just get to see those a few times every day with the model runs?

Its still 0C here so just wondering if there is any chance the next front now coming in from the west will be snow or not?

Im presuming although its still cold outside its just residual surface cold and the upper air is now already too warm for snow?

Posted

Still snowing here and really windy with some lovely drifts around the house, as Vizzy says, will be some impressive drifting on the tops. When I say snow, I think it's actually frozen rain at the moment, temp -1.1, fell to -1.6 earlier.

Posted

Gust just topped 52mph which is a story in itself without it being below freezing with drifting snow.

Falling snow has all but stopped now though.

The windchill was -9.8C around 6pm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Is there a way to see live upper air temps or do we just get to see those a few times every day with the model runs?

Its still 0C here so just wondering if there is any chance the next front now coming in from the west will be snow or not?

Im presuming although its still cold outside its just residual surface cold and the upper air is now already too warm for snow?

You can run a 850hpa temp overlay on the V6 radar, and also you can view hour by hour upper temps on the latest NMM run. So only available to NWextra subscribers.

Posted

Just been outside! (I am brave!). We've got 5cm's and some decent drifts too. It's still tipping down with what i can only describe as frozen rain. Looks like rain but it's freezing on contact with surfaces. Window is coated with ice from it. Never seen that before!

Temp is -0.6C with a dew point of -0.8C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Re. radar overlays, indeed- although there are lite and radar-only subscriptions offered to those who aren't bothered about the full set of features and mainly just want the radar.

What PMPhotography is describing sounds like freezing rain, perhaps associated with the milder air coming over the top of our surface cold air. Looks like the cold front will bring mostly rain, freezing rain and/or ice pellets and wash the current lying snow away.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...

Really odd, we had about 2cms before stopping at around 5pm. Bit gutted really. Still, I must admit to looking forward to some sunshine and warmer weather now - roll on Spring and Summer!

Posted

Still snow here and heavy for the moment, we have a couple of centimeters on the grass and a thin cover on the pavements and roads.

Its looking like most of this first band will be snow, but a thaw looks likely under the mild sector.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Interesting. Originally freezing was forecast as the first front pushed to the eastern areas instead what we're getting is freezing rain as the back end of the front passed for some. There's also freezing rain for some on the leading edge of the second front. At the moment here it's above freezing whether it's enough above to prevent any icing remains to be seen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

isnt it annoying that snow fronts always seem to be light and weak and then when it rains its always heavy stuff :p lol

Posted

After snow from 1330 it turned to heavy frozen drizzle about 1900 for about 30 minutes, then a mixture of heavy freezing rain, ice pellets and snow flakes all at the same time, before dying out at 2015. Never seen anything like it and really unpleasant out there. At least I have an outside light so I can watch while the football's on.

Add to this the wind which has drifted the snow even here in the valley, a gust of 36.5 knots recorded on top of the hill here recently.

The snow now has a solid crust, which has at least stopped the drifting.

Hard to tell the snow depth with the drifting, but around 6cm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Light rain here now, temperature is creeping up (0.9) so I doubt that I'll be able to claim a Met Office "snow day" tomorrow.

Actually at this location this winter has been quite unusual for the proportion of heavy precipitation events that have produced snow rather than rain, with rain often tending to fizzle (though on a couple of occasions during the January cold spell the snow was wet and didn't add much to what was already on the ground).

Posted

Interesting. Originally freezing was forecast as the first front pushed to the eastern areas instead what we're getting is freezing rain as the back end of the front passed for some. There's also freezing rain for some on the leading edge of the second front. At the moment here it's above freezing whether it's enough above to prevent any icing remains to be seen.

Its very icy out there at the moment. The snow has a crust on it plus the slushy compacted snow on my road and pavements is lethal.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: I love the seasonal periods of the year, ( in their extremes - of course ).

i work for my self will all the snow have gone by moning at leeds bradford airport ??

Yep. All gone by daybreak. Some sunshine at long last, as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: I love the seasonal periods of the year, ( in their extremes - of course ).

A good snowfall today IF not the heaviest... Shame it will be gone in a couple of hours, but if its not gonna stay around then it might as well go down the drains - and take the country's supply of road salt with it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Was up at the Manor in Sheffield an hour ago the side roads are coared in ice from the freezing rain my roof rack was coated in ice as were the trees that i noticed down in the valley in Abbeydale there is a definate thaw an the snow has no crust an is thawing unlike at the Manor where it's frozen an crusty just goes to show that little bit of extra height can make a huge difference.