Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion 10th February 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

doh.gif Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Why do people put words in your mouth lol?

No its not an IMBY post as I didn't mention west yorkshire, I was reffering to yorkshire on a whole. Even toward the coast with uppers of -8 in a mainly slack flow, convection wouldn't be that great and in between showers towards the coast (were most of the precipitation would be falling anyway) it would melt somewhat due to the stregth of the sun, onshore breeze and many other factors.

Please don't tar someone with the IMBY brush when there is no evidence as it's a little annoying smile.png

No one is putting words in my mouth. I've seen less cold uppers and a slacker flow a the end of of Feb 2005 deliver 15cm in York within a few hours than the ones being shown in this morning charts. Anyway agree to disagree and all that we all just crazy about snow tease.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

18.3 hours of sun over the past 3 days, fell to -1.1C this morning before rising to 9.5C, I could easily get used to this, beats boring cloud-laden easterlies with no snow, 3C by day and 1C by night.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Already dropped to 3.4c here. A rapid drop over the last few hours. Still a few patches of snow in my garden where it has drifted and in the shade. Just need a top up now.

Posted

Anyways what I'm saying is ON A WHOLE ; ) if we want deep snow, this potential easterly isn't the awnser. It's can we get retrogression of the blocking high north westwards to greenland and can this *quite likely deep cold plunge* penetrate far enough south west to affect us ?

ECM 216

ECH1-216.GIF?16-0

Doesn't look far off.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

18.3 hours of sun over the past 3 days, fell to -1.1C this morning before rising to 9.5C, I could easily get used to this, beats boring cloud-laden easterlies with no snow, 3C by day and 1C by night.

Aye, getting towards the time of year when we can get some good durinal ranges.

No one is putting words in my mouth. I've seen less cold uppers and a slacker flow a the end of of Feb 2005 deliver 15cm in York within a few hours than the ones being shown in this morning charts. Anyway agree to disagree and all that we all just crazy about snow tease.gif

Yes but the difference was that there were plenty of troughs forecast, this for whatever reason away from the coast is forecast to be very dry.

Posted
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL

After the last couple of days of sunshine and a bit of warmth i'm ready to end winter for this year. Its been a strange winter really, although its given many

good snow events and a lot of days with lying snow, its left me feeling a little disappointed and let down.

Its just been 'nice', no real serious disruptive snowfall, no deep prolonged cold, nothing really memorable (unless you judge it by last years standards), apart from the night

with blizzard conditions and thundersnow which was special.

For me personally my expectations have been ruined by 2009 and especially 2010 which are still fresh in my mind, it will take a very special winter to live up to their

high standards. Also, keeping up to date with the strat thread raised my expectations to a level which with hindsight was probably way too optimistic, so in reality i've expected far too

much and have been left disappointed by a winter that was actually above average by UK standards, maybe, probably?

Posted

Wow, in the highly unlikely event that the GFS18z came off we'd go 18 days at least with no precipitation. Upto 11 days in the high resolution (unless we get a surprise trough obviously).

Posted

After the last couple of days of sunshine and a bit of warmth i'm ready to end winter for this year. Its been a strange winter really, although its given many

good snow events and a lot of days with lying snow, its left me feeling a little disappointed and let down.

Its just been 'nice', no real serious disruptive snowfall, no deep prolonged cold, nothing really memorable (unless you judge it by last years standards), apart from the night

with blizzard conditions and thundersnow which was special.

For me personally my expectations have been ruined by 2009 and especially 2010 which are still fresh in my mind, it will take a very special winter to live up to their

high standards. Also, keeping up to date with the strat thread raised my expectations to a level which with hindsight was probably way too optimistic, so in reality i've expected far too

much and have been left disappointed by a winter that was actually above average by UK standards, maybe, probably?

Yes, although I have seen nearly half a metre in accumulative snow, I still feel let down somewhat. The main reason for this being is because every cold spell has been downgraded throughout the winter so although I received snow, the models were showing I should of had a lot more previous to the events. Without model viewing I would be a lot happier overall with the winter I reckon.

Can anyone remember the last time a cold spell was upgraded by the models?

Anyway lets all move to the North York Moors they have had around 90cm so far this winter. Id take that :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

It's not looking so good now for any significant snow, maybe a few flurries.

Just have to keep an eye on where this high ends up and any developments to south.

On a plus note a dry spell will be very welcome for some.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

12Z models have pushed the high further North, another 100 miles north and we could be in the action.

HAVE FAITH YORKSHIRE!

Posted

You never know love snow but enjoying the Dry weather sick of walking the dog in mud !!! Cold and dry will do me snow will be a bonus but had my good share this year in leeds!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

What is the point really in model discussions. All we get is our hopes up and you can't not 'get excited' by them just to always have downgrades and backtracks. For once I and I bet many were hoping the gfs was onto a northward cold snowy trend only to now back off again. An evening of disapointnent coming. Again

things could change in 24 hours synoptics wise so nothing to worry about yet!unlike your team who can now concentrate on the lgrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

Posted

things could change in 24 hours synoptics wise so nothing to worry about yet!unlike your team who can now concentrate on the lgrofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

Sheffield wednesday are doin well aren't they rofl.gif

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted

Another lovely day here.

GFS high resolution takes us to day 13 with no precipitation.

Posted

Another nice day was great driving home from work and the sun been out and it getting lighter

Posted

Today epitomises why I hate easterlies - was cloudy here until around 1pmish (only an estimate as I was indoors most of the time) while most of the country basked in sunshine. Well, we've been very sunny while other areas have been pretty cloudy, so I guess it's only fair. Tomorrow looks very sunny.

Already down to 0.3C here.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Managed a high of 7.1c today after the cloud broke. Already -1.3c and a sharp frost forming.

Posted

Today epitomises why I hate easterlies - was cloudy here until around 1pmish (only an estimate as I was indoors most of the time) while most of the country basked in sunshine. Well, we've been very sunny while other areas have been pretty cloudy, so I guess it's only fair. Tomorrow looks very sunny.

Already down to 0.3C here.

Having not got up until 1 i just assumed it had been sunny all day.

Posted

There was low cloud this morning, I was going to take a screen shot of the satellite image.

Posted

Sun has been up a good hour but still -2.5C

We missed the fog last night but the temperature did not fall away until well after midnight.

Posted

Gorgeous day in Leeds after a frosty start wish I wasn't working inside all day !! Enjoying the current dry and sunny spell everyone like myself feels in a better mood