Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Regional Discussion 11th February 2013 18:00hrs>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

I have no idea why but a gritting lorry has just gone up the main part of the road here and he was laying down quite a heavy amount of salt, am I missing something ?

They were gritting the M1 yesterday afternoon when it wasn't as cold as it is now.

Guest bjaykent

I think flooding is going to be an issue come tonight :/

Yes, everything is so wet, this is the view from my upstairs front window, all the farmers fields are under water and have been for around 12 weeks now. At the moment its more like a nature reserve. you can see the train going by in the background and then the Thames is just the other side of that. Flooding I don't think would be an issue as the our road is about 5 metres above the marsh, I think it was built on an ancient Thames river bank. If we did get flooded I think much of the Thames corridor would also be in trouble, so I would prefer to see no repeat of Feb 1953.

post-16390-0-53217700-1360752433_thumb.j

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Dew points holding down nicely across the SE for some snow when the precip arrives later. DPs of -2C to -5C generally.

http://meteocentre.com/analyse/map.php?lang=en&map=UK

Posted

I have no idea why but a gritting lorry has just gone up the main part of the road here and he was laying down quite a heavy amount of salt, am I missing something ?

A period of 3-6 hours of snow possible later today from about 4/5PM onwards I believe as the precipitation moves across the region. Temperatures will then rise overnight and it will turn to rain. I guess they are gritting to try and prevent any travel issues during rush hour this evening, as it could be snowing at about that time. Edited by Hughsey

Posted

The 10C forecast for tomorrow will feel positively tropical compared to the last few days. Will be a welcome respite for me, because I do spend a lot of time at work doing inspections in unheated drafty warehouses at Heathrow.

Do think we will return to a colder continental flow again by this time next week though, despite what the GFS says.

Hmmm, I often wonder what goes on in those big warehouses when I'm doing the school and work run around the northern perimeter road at Heathrow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

This winter all in all has been very poor snow wise for me in Gillingham.

Nothing more than a coating has fallen. Temps have not been great and a lot of nasty rain.

Heres hoping the month goes out with a bang.

Guest bjaykent

The 10C forecast for tomorrow will feel positively tropical compared to the last few days. Will be a welcome respite for me, because I do spend a lot of time at work doing inspections in unheated drafty warehouses at Heathrow.

Do think we will return to a colder continental flow again by this time next week though, despite what the GFS says.

Hi Nick, whether we return to continental flow remains to be seen but disregarding what GFS are showing looks a much easier decision, just look at the difference in the low shown on the 12z yesterday compared to the same time on the 6Z today. I know it is probably better to compare like for like runs but I would be surprised to see the return of 930 low on the 12z later.

There's no consistency therefore no confidence in GFS.

post-16390-0-05518000-1360754521_thumb.p

post-16390-0-49681500-1360754543_thumb.p

Edited by bjaykent

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

The largest amount of snow to fall in one day was 1.93 m at Silver Lake, Colorado in April 1921...

post-10773-0-11120800-1360755098_thumb.j

Edited by MKsnowangel

Posted

Temp rising slowly, up to 1.3 degrees, dew point falling though, -4.8 apparently (not sure this is correct). Might be good for a few hours of light snow, unlikely to accumulate though,

Edited by Hughsey

Posted

According to Herts highways salting web site the gritters are doing a run today at midday as snow forecast from 3pm.

Seems about right going by current modelling and satellite/radar:

LOC_20130213_0600.png

It may be rain for some though:

12_20.gif

Posted

Hi just a quick question. I was wondering how u become a host? Many thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Exciting weather!

Is the red 'N' squiggle freezing rain?

The red squiggle and green dot is sleet - if that's the one you mean :)

Posted

Hi just a quick question. I was wondering how u become a host? Many thanks

It's a rigorous exam of 4 hours followed by a lengthy interview with the Senior NW team and then follow up interviews over the course of several months. You then have to give a bond of £5000 and carry out an indoctrination ceremony a bit like the Masons.

MKSA by-passed it all though as she's on here all the time and got the job on merit and wonderful cake making!! :lol:

Posted

The red squiggle and green dot is sleet - if that's the one you mean smile.png

Yes, freezing rain or drizzle:

international-weather-symbols.gif

Posted

Temp rising slowly, up to 1.3 degrees, dew point falling though, -4.8 apparently (not sure this is correct). Might be good for a few hours of light snow, unlikely to accumulate though,

I think that sums up my experience of this Winter so far... slow to accumulate, quick to thaw!

Guest bjaykent

It's a rigorous exam of 4 hours followed by a lengthy interview with the Senior NW team and then follow up interviews over the course of several months. You then have to give a bond of £5000 and carry out an indoctrination ceremony a bit like the Masons.

MKSA by-passed it all though as she's on here all the time and got the job on merit and wonderful cake making!! laugh.png

Isn't it like community service, punishment for previous misdemeanours ! - orange suit sweep the floors and man the computersdiablo.gif Only jokinggood.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Yes, freezing rain or drizzle:

international-weather-symbols.gif

Thanks coast, bookmarked for later use.

Been looking for something to explane those symbols for ages lol.

Posted

There was still deep snow cover over the Chilterns this morning, I don't think there has been any melt at all. Even the trees were still thick with snow. The area of the Chilterns I live near is Stokenchurch way, 200m+ elevation. It just goes to show that even a little bit of elevation can work wonders for snow cover.