Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 12th February 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

If the easterly arrives and brings with it some exciting weather then fine , but to be honest i'm just waiting for spring/summer now, the light evenings,BBQsclapping.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees, thunderstorms and heavy snow

The usual nonsense regarding the potential easterly being progged at the end of next week in the MOD, personally I cant abide easterlies but as long as it brings some much needed sunshine I'm happy.

It's all sooooo bloomin 'darn sarf' grrrrr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long hot summers, cold winters.

bring on spring i say..cant wait.sunshine,mild and long walks..im ready for it now,plus i want to get back into my running

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

In stronger easterly flows it is possible to have a covering of snow for more western areas, you'd really need to see some significant trough features which contain a lot of energy plus a strong wind driving them westwards.

Hope the 00z ECM brings back the Greenland high!

Posted

We'd get bu**er all with an easterly wind , just cold frosty Nights and mainly sunny days , we're too well protected by the pennines

Posted

We'd get bu**er all with an easterly wind , just cold frosty Nights and mainly sunny days , we're too well protected by the pennines

We rarely get sunny days of an easterly.

Posted

Plenty of cloud to the north of here but at the moment we are enjoying unbroken sunshine - its a really pleasant day out there. Only hope the weekend is the same.

Was just thinking this morning about the lack of frost this winter, I know its been mentioned before but frost here has been rare, as have the strong winds (also snow for some of us rofl.gif )

Posted

Plenty of cloud to the north of here but at the moment we are enjoying unbroken sunshine - its a really pleasant day out there. Only hope the weekend is the same.

Was just thinking this morning about the lack of frost this winter, I know its been mentioned before but frost here has been rare, as have the strong winds (also snow for some of us rofl.gif )

Think it depends what you think a normal amount of frost is....I dont think we saw one till late Jan last year.....and prior to 2009/10 my sheltered back yard had barely seen a zero for three or four years.......so in comparriosn to that its been very frosty..............we getr such a spread of winters from the very rare 47......to not rare frostless winters.....we dont have a normal or average winter really..........

Im not saying this applies to you...but lots of peoples expectations bare no relationship to the historical data.......

I havent enjoyed the weather this winter...a few crappy marginal events here...and a few semi cold spells...but Im not shocked or surprised.....actually even though I love cold and last winter had none....I preferred last winter to this.......for me if its not going to be bitter cold...with snow that stays..Id rather have a mild dry winter like last year.......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Easterly needs to sod off. Would love this mild, sunny weather to last until early Spring, then we can tap into some warmth.

Posted

Lovely sunny day with broken cloud, great views of the snow-clad mountains. These days have been very rare this winter and most of last year even! Looking forward to a nice sunny, settled spell this coming week.

Feeling quite pleasant outside in the sun, light winds and a temperature of 6.6C. Feels like spring is just round the corner now.

Posted

Easterly needs to sod off. Would love this mild, sunny weather to last until early Spring, then we can tap into some warmth.

I have to say I'm come along with your line of thinking, the prospect of a rinse and repeat of last months synoptics doesn't exactly overwhelm me tbh especially given that the lengthening daylight hours which will only serve to anything lying quicker.

Posted

Im not saying this applies to you...but lots of peoples expectations bare no relationship to the historical data.......

You're right Chris, but as according to some this winter has been towards the colder side of average the absence of frost has been surprising. Last winter was pretty damp and on the whole miserable, on average i'd expect at least 15/20 mornings with a frost during the winter period its only 3 or 4 a month over that period, we've not even had that this winter.

http://www.metoffice...b=climateTables

Looking at the stats for Myerscough - college (i presume) - this has surprised me a little. 52 days air frost average a year (1981-2010) we are nowhere near that this year.

Also if you look at this http://www.metoffice...tab=climateMaps for us at least this winter has been well within the average - so nothing spectacular really.

I suppose its relative to where you live, but for an apparent colder winter there has been a lack of frost.

Edited by Snow free zone

Posted

WOW, i know we dont do well in terms of snow from Eastelry, but still I never thought id here that from you.....i think i agree........a mild sunny end to winter leading smoothly into a a watrn sunny spring.....ahhh if only................

Posted

You're right Chris, but as according to some this winter has been towards the colder side of average the absence of frost has been surprising. Last winter was pretty damp and on the whole miserable, on average i'd expect at least 15/20 mornings with a frost during the winter period its only 3 or 4 a month over that period, we've not even had that this winter.

http://www.metoffice...b=climateTables

Looking at the stats for Myerscough - college (i presume) - this has surprised me a little. 52 days air frost average a year (1981-2010) we are nowhere near that this year.

Also if you look at this http://www.metoffice...tab=climateMaps for us at least this winter has been well within the average - so nothing spectacular really.

I suppose its relative to where you live, but for an apparent colder winter there has been a lack of frost.

Interesting.............that 52 a year surprises me too.......

Good info....cheers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

WOW, i know we dont do well in terms of snow from Eastelry, but still I never thought id here that from you.....i think i agree........a mild sunny end to winter leading smoothly into a a watrn sunny spring.....ahhh if only................

He'd soon be changing his tune if he had a big fall of snow. All to play for at the minute. Plenty of time for mild mush later on.

Posted

He'd soon be changing his tune if he had a big fall of snow. All to play for at the minute. Plenty of time for mild mush later on.

lol...now now...Id say the marginal set ups we have had this year are far more mushy than mild weather.....today has been relatively mild, would you call today 'mush'...Id say its been a beautiful day

Posted

We rarely get sunny days of an easterly.

A true Easterly bringing dry air from the continent would not pick up much moisture over the north sea , then we would get sun to the west of high ground

Me too ,The wife and i have been into Liverpool today and whilst the wind was a bit chilly it was quite pleasant in the sun..Roll on Spring

Posted

Funny the model thread appears to be at peace in a sea of tranquility and harmony. They appear to have finally got their Easterly. Still no guarantee of any significant snow fall yet, but with the atlantic switching off for the foreseable, the signs are promising for those in East/South East. I'll just be happy with a decent period of dry weather now, not expecting much from the easterly here, until breakdown time.

Posted

A true Easterly bringing dry air from the continent would not pick up much moisture over the north sea , then we would get sun to the west of high ground

Me too ,The wife and i have been into Liverpool today and whilst the wind was a bit chilly it was quite pleasant in the sun..Roll on Spring

Depends on the time of the year, even during the 80's not one of those easterly outbreaks during the winter months brought sunshine.

Posted

Some parts of region have missed out on the snowfalls but these areas are not the only ones suffering. In places, favourable for snowfalls such as Washington DC have had another poor season for snow lovers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/post/washington-dc-falling-deep-into-dungeon-of-snow-futility/2013/02/13/975896fa-7606-11e2-95e4-6148e45d7adb_blog.html