Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 2nd March Onward

IDO

Posted

The UKMO is definitely not having any of the cold and wintryness on tonight's 12z.

I find it very very difficult to believe the GFS when neither the UKMO or the ECM agree with the GFS solution.

I hope you're right. I'll take the slower evolution thank you very much. The GFS can do one as far as I'm concerned

Any slower and it might just arrive in time for Christmas good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

GEM backs GFS on the initial building of heights towards Greenland

T144

gem-0-144.png?12

I really don't know which way to call this. One or more models have got this massively wrong even at T60. Simple as.

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

GEM Backs GFS on the initial building of heights towards Greenland

T144

gem-0-144.png?12

The issue with this evolution is that it cannot be sustained due to that Azores high sticking its oar in!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

UKMO and GFS are completely different at t120

GFS

gfs-0-120.png?12

UKMO

UW120-21.GIF?05-17

Which will be right? my money is on UKMO

Uncertain for the UK; utterly bewildering for Denmark.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Any slower and it might just arrive in time for Christmas good.gif

I'd rather have no cold at all than watch it all flood across France and Spain ala GFS. Sinking HP does nowt for me I'm afraid.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

UKMO is poor and wouldn't deliver any noteworthy cold. GFS is so close to something so great but the Azores high ridges across... the only way this can not get in the way is if it ridges behind that little disturbance to the South of Greenland and we send more energy south. Which way will the ECM go? Big differences at such a short range!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The issue with this evolution is that it cannot be sustained due to that Azores high sticking its oar in!

Yep we have GFS/GEM showing a two (approx) day toppler and UKMO saying cold doesn't even exist.

No idea what ECM will show, probably the start of a 2 week big freeze probably rofl.gif

Someone usher Shanon out of the building. It's not good for our nerves.

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted

The UKMO is taking so long to disrupt that troughing with not enough energy going se. It might get there eventually but its really dragging this out.

Given the UKMO update earlier in terms of timing of cold they're obviously not buying their operational runs because I don't see how these raw outputs can deliver what they suggest in the that timeframe.

The GFS isn't as good as its earlier run because it slackens the flow, still some snow and cold temperatures compared to the UKMO which isn't going to sink the block but still hasn't brought the cold in at 144hrs.

I'd still rather take my chance with the GFS because at least the cold is there waiting to move west and it just needs a few small tweeks to be a lot better, the UKMO could have us here till Easter waiting for it to disrupt that troughing.

Either way one model is going to look very silly tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

UKMO is poor and wouldn't deliver any noteworthy cold. GFS is so close to something so great but the Azores high ridges across... the only way this can not get in the way is if it ridges behind that little disturbance to the South of Greenland and we send more energy south earlier in the run. Which way will the ECM go? Big differences at such a short range!

If GFS is correct I wouldn't write off the potential of this cold spell as it all depends on where that blasted ridge in the Azores links up but it is a potential major hinderance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep snow, thunderstorms, heatwaves

Think we can bin the UKMO

GFS has been consistent throughout in its forecasting of this potential snap but UKMO have been flip flopping and dithering

GFS it is

Posted

GFS has been consistent throughout in its forecasting of this potential snap but UKMO have been flip flopping and dithering

GFS it is

I would say that the UKMO has been just as consistent at not showing any cold just as much as the GFS has been consistent at showing cold.

Posted

GFS it is

LOL - half your posts suggest "binning" runs. Either that or calling on COBRA to meet! tease.gif

As others have said, no reason to "bin" anything - several options are on the table and UKMO has never bought the extreme cold of other models, so it has hardly flipped that much.

Edited by NickR

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GFS certainly downgrading the cold today and introducing a toppler scenario, a couple of cold days in the middle of a few cool days if that verifies and much decreased snow chances.

On the plus side the output is all over the place in the mid term across the models so anything could happen but trending the wrong way on GFS today for snow fans and MetO ain't great either.

Edited by Mucka

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I'm not so sure Karl we have really noticed it this year but in fact it’s not a new phenomena, I think it’s an error in the model.

Well the law of averages says it will sometime. As for the Gfs 12z, it's nothing like the latest meto update and the gfs has a blink or miss it cold snap followed by a milder trend, the gfs 12z is similar but worse than the 6z with that same toppling high followed by a flatter pattern.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

There were very few solutions in the GFS ensembles that looked anything like the UKMO, and certainly the ECM operational and GFS, while differing from each other significantly, both disrupted the trough much quicker than the UKMO manages. For the moment I'd say some kind of compromise between the ultra-quick GFS and glacial in pace UKMO looks likely, which luckily for us would be better in the longer term than either of those two solutions for cold, but that's bound to change in the coming days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and dry or cold and snowy, but please not mild and rainy!

it is a shame we can't see how the UKMO fits in the MOGREPS suite. The UKMO modifications to it so far suggest that it doesn't sit very well within the set, but that of course could change. The ECM still had quite a cluster (albeit a minority) going for less and/or delayed cold. As I said in an earlier post I find the GEFs strange in that it didn't see any alternatives when the other models could.

Be interested to see if the GFS finds any less cold or delayed solutions on this run.

Edited by SomeLikeItHot

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

A brief wintry toppler then from GFS 12z followed by a dreadful mild highjack in FIRtavn3481.pngRtavn3722.png

UKMO is a shocker to:

Rukm1441.gif

Oh dear...bad.gif Let's hope ECM brings more cheer!

Edited by Purga

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

A brief wintry toppler then from GFS 12z followed by a dreadful mild highjack in FI

Rtavn3481.png

Rtavn3722.png

If that high was a smidgen further SE we could be looking at some decent convection and maybe the first spring storms of the season.

Anyway, all irrelevant at that timescale but that would certainly be interesting for other sorts of weather aside from cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

It just shows that even though the metoffice have produced a stonking update this afternoon between days 6-15, the 12z op runs are not backing that update up whatsoever, so something is wrong somewhere. This morning's Ecm 00z was stellar with a sustained arctic outbreak but it's anyones guess what the 12z will show @ T+240 in 2 hours from now, boom or bust?

Posted

What looked like a historic march cold spell is quickly being watered down into a brief toppler. If the ECM backs down as well its game over IMO. Typical of this winter ...so near but so far

Posted

A brief wintry toppler then from GFS 12z followed by a dreadful mild highjack in FIRtavn3481.pngRtavn3722.png

UKMO is a shocker to:

Rukm1441.gif

It's hardly a hijack. It would be late March if this were to verify and it is Spring now after all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

UKMO is a shocker to:

Rukm1441.gif

Rukm1441.pngOh dear...bad.gif Let's hope ECM brings more cheer!

what do you expect? its march!

the gfs's short sharp suggested cold snap is about as 'good' as it can get for cold, (snowy cold anyway). i cannot recall any significant snowfall in march, onwards, that wasnt a breif spell. looking for or expecting a lengthy snow/freeze now has the odds heavily stacked against you. of course raw, grey, cold days are easier to come by, but i suspect that that nothingness isnt what people would like.

slight though the chances are of the ukmo nailing it, it is still a possible solution, and would be foolish to ignore it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

im very intrigued by the ukmo charts they seem rather out on its own gfs and ecm still bring something exciting.

still more time needed i think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

What looked like a historic march cold spell is quickly being watered down into a brief toppler. If the ECM backs down as well its game over IMO. Typical of this winter ...so near but so far

...but it was always in fi, and still is, as the three major models cannot agree on its evolution.