Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 08/03/13 ---->

A.J

Posted

Good luck to all over next 48 hours - be good to see all get a right pasting! Esp S Devon which is a place i absolutely love!

Sunny and a bit of cloud here, temp around 20c.

Nursing a hangover this morning after me and the wife spent a late couple of hours in a beach nightclub with a load of dutch guys and gals!

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Happy Mothers day to all the Moms, Hope you get spoiled today........give_rose.gif And lets hope Mother nature will spoil some of us in our region,,,,,

Ahh......... Is Cerneman American? :p :p

Posted

If I remember rightly, and my memory isn't always that good, we had a similar event back in 2009. The low was travelling east to west and dumped insane amounts of snow all over Southern England.

This sort of setup is bingo for us lot, always has been - but from where this low originates it's also allowing some of the far South West to get in on the action. We always do well out of these sort of setups, and it's common from the models to prog it north/south...maybe a bit further south again, but at the end of the day I'm pretty confident that large portions of the South West and Central area will experience a decent event tomorrow.

Obviously, how much lays is a question and a half but with these conditions being modeled I think we could all be in for a bit of a treat for March.

Posted

Some particularly heavy snowfall around the Southampton/Portsmouth area and over the Isle of Wight for a time there.

Liking that for my area. We have done well this winter with the snow, so some more is certainly welcome.

After almost hitting 14c yesterday, its 4.3c now, dewpoint 0.8c, 1005 hpa, 78% humidity.

Edited by lettice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I'm so confused! I come in here and everything looks good for snow but met office forecast shows no snow at all! Help :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

Ahh......... Is Cerneman American? blum.gifblum.gif

No an English Gentlemanair_kiss.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzard, Hot & Sunny

I'm so confused! I come in here and everything looks good for snow but met office forecast shows no snow at all! Help :-)

There main forecast model doesn't update till tonight and that's probably the most reliable.

Posted

It's game on from what I can see.

Posted

Know how you feel!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

No an English Gentlemanair_kiss.gif

So Mum rather than Mom it is then kind sir? :):p

Posted

Let's put this in perspective for those living in the far south. In terms of potential considering we are nearing Mid March it doesn't (and won't ever) get better than this. Things can always go wrong, right up to a few hours away but right now it is looking very good indeed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

From the 06z GFS, costal Dorset looks like location A.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

I am pleased to confirm.... its snowing on Dartmoor!! Its -0.1c now so if it can battle through the damp ground then it should be good!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow

I know everyone's attention is focused on possible snowfall(so is mine),but for me,these projected winds are equally exiting.

Falmouth bay already looks like a mountain range this morning and it's set to get worse.

It's really v rare to see such high winds from this east/n.east direction

Posted

I am pleased to confirm.... its snowing on Dartmoor!! Its -0.1c now so if it can battle through the damp ground then it should be good!!

Nothing new there then!!! Hope you have recovered from your telling off last night!!!

Posted

Iv been trawling websites planning a holiday to finland and thinking at least I'll get to see snow there and looks whats happened while my backs turned, for once im in an excellent spot to get some snow at home! Am very happy mum todayacute.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

The tension is building big time

Can anyone advise of a good weather station? I'm about to take the plunge and get one.

Cheers

K

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but foggy damp weather

So Mum rather than Mom it is then kind sir? smile.pngblum.gif

Oh yeah,,,,,,just noticed what i did,,Not only do I speak with Brum accent, I type in one,but sentiment the samegood.gif

Think going down to watching Radar, and hope for surprise, Not bad for end of first week of March,,,,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

For any of you Isle of Wightee's, this will hopefully bring some joy to you!

"@PORTSMOUTHFCLEE: @fergieweather hi ian do you think the Isle of Wight will see some snow?" V likely tomorrow, yes.

good.gif

Yes, the 06z GFS showing what could happen if the low tracks further north;

post-12721-0-20432700-1362909116_thumb.jpost-12721-0-18914200-1362909122_thumb.jpost-12721-0-20747500-1362909125_thumb.j

post-12721-0-81322900-1362909130_thumb.jpost-12721-0-83108700-1362909146_thumb.jpost-12721-0-22024500-1362909144_thumb.j

post-12721-0-92550200-1362909147_thumb.jpost-12721-0-17626700-1362909154_thumb.jpost-12721-0-55900000-1362909160_thumb.j

post-12721-0-96843900-1362909168_thumb.jpost-12721-0-10107900-1362909175_thumb.jpost-12721-0-83352700-1362909181_thumb.j

post-12721-0-16077900-1362909196_thumb.j

Some particularly heavy snowfall around the Southampton/Portsmouth area and over the Isle of Wight for a time there.

Roger even mentioned the isle of wight..

We have had a few flakes in the wind this morning... Current temps 3C at the moment.

I know everyone's attention is focused on possible snowfall(so is mine),but for me,these projected winds are equally exiting.

Falmouth bay already looks like a mountain range this morning and it's set to get worse.

It's really v rare to see such high winds from this east/n.east direction

get down there and take some pics. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Nothing new there then!!! Hope you have recovered from your telling off last night!!!

Haha!! Yeah, got sent to bed without a story by the mods!!

I have to say, this is the heaviest snow I have seen all winter. Huge flakes and settling nicely now!!

Posted

I have to say, this is the heaviest snow I have seen all winter. Huge flakes and settling nicely now!!

Not winter anymore!!!! Just saying ;)

You always seem to get pasted! Have fun though... And any pictures will be appreciated! :D

Posted

The tension is building big time

Can anyone advise of a good weather station? I'm about to take the plunge and get one.

Cheers

K

The Davis Vantage ones are generally the better and most reliable for amateurs. A friend up the road has one of these that I help him setup and use online.

I will invest myself in one of those soon, as my old OS wmr100 is needing weekly tweaks but has been good for an amateur.

The weather display software though makes it a more fun experience.

Edited by lettice

Posted

Haha!! Yeah, got sent to bed without a story by the mods!!

The rain has stopped here it seems nice and calm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Very cold and windy outside 1.9c

I also have a cracking hangover! bad.gif