Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England Regional Discussion 10/03/13 17z---->

A.J

Posted

The way the ppn is getting stretched out at it's northern most extent, that does seem to be the limit of the LP ppn. Could still cause a mini riot over Dartmoor, South Devon and into Cornwall. Some fun and games into southern most areas of Dorset, Hampshire and Isle of Wight, maybe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

It has just started snowing here, very cold!

Temp: 1.2°C

Dew: -1.0°C

Wchill: -2.5°C

App: -3.5°C

Posted

The way the ppn is getting stretched out at it's northern most extent, that does seem to be the limit of the LP ppn. Could still cause a mini riot over Dartmoor, South Devon and into Cornwall. Some fun and games into southern most areas of Dorset, Hampshire and Isle of Wight, maybe.

The very fact Ian has not been on to ramp up the mood.. Says all.. Hitting a brick wall..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells or any decent thunderstorm

Not all is lost for me here however it does look like east Devon, Dorset and west Hampshire looking like being in the firing line for more prolonged whiteness - dry as a bone here atm - freezinf east North easterly though 1.6C

post-7202-0-46288000-1362965078_thumb.gi

post-7202-0-31707000-1362965087_thumb.gi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

It would seem that Lyme Bay is the best place for snow in the next few hours i.e. anywhere from Eastern Dartmoor, round across the Exe Valley, the rest of East Devon and into West Dorset. After that is anyone's guess! The precipitation distribution is most definitely different to what has been forecast so far, even on the 18z runs

Edited by Joe Levy

Posted

Looking at the radar that's a hell of a lot of wasted snow falling over the English Channel.

There was a setup (a few winters ago infact) where there was a stalled front sitting in the English channel for around 3 days... PPN rates where moderate, but in total nearly 100mm of rain (was all snow actually) fell in those 3 days.

If it was just 40 miles further north, could of been such a different story!

SM

Posted

Didnt Ian's post earlier mention Lyme Bay though?

Jersey and Guernsey getting a pasting??

Guess they must be!

Is there anyone on here from there?

Posted

Jersey and Guernsey getting a pasting??

Jersey was reporting heavy sleet just over an hour ago, so not snow yet

SM

Posted

The very fact Ian has not been on to ramp up the mood.. Says all.. Hitting a brick wall..

Too long in the tooth to ramp it up, lol i am a Spurs supporter, enough said, already waiting for a fall. Not had a snowflake in anger here since Jan 2011 thats 26 months, apart from the odd blob in some sleet showers this winter, looking at the current radar prediction not looking as bad, but it keeps changing, still looking best for east Devon and Dorset eastwards

post-7202-0-58158100-1362965565_thumb.gi

Posted

Hey Ian - you got a 2m temp and dew point reading there? -10 850s expected overnight.

Edited by kumquat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

Didnt Ian's post earlier mention Lyme Bay though?

Yes it did, though I was more referring to the short range computer models than the professionals. I think Ian's prediction will be the closest to reality, though perhaps snow will be more extensive in Cornwall judging by the radar, as well as perhaps a tiny bit further north elsewhere.

Posted

Not all is lost for me here however it does look like east Devon, Dorset and west Hampshire looking like being in the firing line for more prolonged whiteness - dry as a bone here atm - freezinf east North easterly though 1.6C

do you include pompey in that?

Posted

Too long in the tooth to ramp it up, lol i am a Spurs supporter, enough said, already waiting for a fall. Not had a snowflake in anger here since Jan 2011 thats 26 months, apart from the odd blob in some sleet showers this winter, looking at the current radar prediction not looking as bad, but it keeps changing, still looking best for east Devon and Dorset eastwards

Willl change all time.. Thought the trend was about to be set... Well you know what i mean..Must be near crunch time?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Looks like ppn struggling to reach the Cornish coast now. Still light snow here but I expect no more than that and on and off for just a few hours before it clears. At least ive been able to see some. 2nd snowfall of the winter. :)

Posted

Hey Ian - you got a 2m temp and dew point reading there? -10 850s expected overnight.

Dewpoint is -2.4C

do you include pompey in that?

Yep. Pompey looking good!!! But it could all change, God this is heart attack material!!!!

post-7202-0-08562200-1362966294_thumb.gi

post-7202-0-95897200-1362966299_thumb.gi

Posted

Dewpoint is -2.4C

Yep. Pompey looking good!!! But it could all change, God this is heart attack material!!!!

I would say, at the moment, the sweet spot seems to extend from East dorest, right through the new forest/southampton to the Portsmouth area. Does that sound about right to you? Possibly pushing up just below Winchester.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter and summer

Still snow flakes here but think that's our lot for now, next time hey :-) have to love it, so close to having a big fall too.

Posted

Just a little something for people in the Taunton Deane area, Snow ploughs have been fitted to all gritters...i wonder why? ;)

Very interesting... Would go against the mets forecast of just light snow at 6am....

Oh, and just woken up... Looking good so far!!

Edited by dec10snow

Posted

I would say, at the moment, the sweet spot seems to extend from East dorest, right through the new forest/southampton to the Portsmouth area. Does that sound about right to you? Possibly pushing up just below Winchester.

Yep i would say thats looking good atm, also for Kingsbridge, Dartmouth may well get clipped

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Snowing quite nicely in Poole, just woke up with beer still In hand and not a drip dropped! Skills! So for so good,