Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia Regional Discussion 12th March 2013

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Now now, don't be spiteful, go and have a cry and you'll feel better :) We may have to wait a while for any warm ish sunshine looking at the charts.

Sorry just caught up on the replies to what people are remarking as a jealous post.

In no way was i coming across to be jealous i am happy for those who got snow. I am however thinking what impact melting snow can have as nightfall comes and temperatures drop like a stone.

Hopefully people can understand what i am trying to say.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow

lol, how ironic-

prectypeuktopo.png

however, in FI.....

h850t850eu.png

and the 28th-

h850t850eu.png

channel lows and easterlies?? spring might not be as 'springy' as we think.......

Could these deliver. Sorry I don't read charts. Well beginning to :-)

Posted

What about tomorrow Coast?

Wednesday - all day......

Edit sorry, being facetious again! Maybe something around EA coasts:

36_20.gif

and then further inland, but not huge amounts:

13031318_1206.gif

Edited by Coast

Posted
Posted · Hidden by Coast, March 12, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Coast, March 12, 2013 - No reason given

Excellant

Its excellent by the way.

& for the above poster who decided to jump in & mock my post. If you read my explanation you should just be able to understand.

Posted

Could these deliver. Sorry I don't read charts. Well beginning to :-)

quite possibly. the charts won't show details at that range but the wind direction is from the east and the blues are (as you might think) cold uppers. with low pressure running under it like that, theres a chance heavy of snowfall. the charts from the weather we just had looked similar to those i posted.

Posted

post-13201-0-96851200-1363081478_thumb.jpg

Had a few more cms since, gutted I was knocked out of the last round due to zero snow!

Ah but Nikki, you're in for a special prize for this event, perhaps for the whole snow season, for the greatest depth!

How does a case of champagne sound?

Btw, horse running in the first race at Cheltenham today called, CHAMPAGNE FEVER (1.30 ), Ruby Walsh riding and must have a decent chance!

Paul Sherman will pay you out on the first five places, only 3 with me though, sorry! hi.gif

Cheers,

Tom.

Should have listened lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

Looking outside its like nothing has ever happened the sun is warm through the French doors and I could quite easily drift off to sleep after two nights of jumping up every couple hours too check the lamposts! All virtually gone from the ground now and car read 6 degrees when driving home from the gym an hour ago!!! OH is now washing both car and van as they both white with salt - business will boom for him soon (own valeting business). Anyway some fantastic piccies I love looking at them and have shared a couple on my FB (hope u don't mind) many thanks to the regulars who post such great information and keep us updated with their knowledge that I am able to forward on to friends and work colleague - I'm known as weather girl chelle to most now :)

Posted

French doors

Owwww, French Doors - you guys up there are so posh, we only have patio ones!! rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

Owwww, French Doors - you guys up there are so posh, we only have patio ones!! rofl.gif

Errrr posh and essex? Hmmmmm don't sound right together

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

Roads in the sun clear now, but refreeze could cause problems tonight, and shady areas still well covered, temperature 2C now though.

Posted
Posted · Hidden by Coast, March 12, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Coast, March 12, 2013 - No reason given

I give up i post a reply to a one liner poster who tries to mock my post & one of which can't spell. In my reply it gets deleted while the rude post stays on.

Clap Clap Mod who deleted my post you have just tipped me over the edge i am done with this forum & N~W as a whole.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

No she didn't know which way to go, she was making her mind up, when she got stuck.

She was quoted as saying "It all came down so fast. I thought I was in the Land of Make believe" sorry i couldnt resist.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Large slab of stratocumulus passing south over us. Bye bye sun :(

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Wednesday - all day......

Edit sorry, being facetious again! Maybe something around EA coasts:

and then further inland, but not huge amounts:

I'd expect to see convection fire up well inland by tomorrow afternoon as well Robin, sun's just about getting enough energy on the ground to cause inland convection if the lapse rates are steep enough, by which time tomorrow they should be. Looks like dew points will be low enough, below 0C, for snow everywhere though could be some hail or graupel mixed in too.

Looks like we could see some snow and hail showers move in tonight from the north, so some could wake up to a dusting or perhaps a cm or two. But tomorrow, snow may struggle to settle as temps hold above freezing at lower levels even in the showers when they tend to drop. Though if showers can get heavier enough, perhaps a temporary covering can't be ruled out.

Posted

Snow has been causing travel mayhem in parts of Europe, leaving passengers stranded at airports, railway stations, on the roads - and at sea.

Frankfurt Airport - Europe's third busiest - was shut down by heavy snowfall until further notice.

The airport had already cancelled more than 100 flights and reported many delays after the German city saw about 12cm (5ins) of snow.

It was not immediately clear how many more of the scheduled 1,200 flights would be cancelled due to the closure.

Travel in France was also affected, with a quarter of flights out of Paris cancelled by the city's two main airports - Charles de Gaulle and Orly.

The nearby Beauvais airport, serving mainly low-cost airlines, cancelled all flights.

At Orly, a Tunisair flight carrying 140 people from Djerba skidded off the runway on landing but no one was injured, an airport source said.

Several roads in the capital were closed too, while the French rail network SNCF advised rail users to stay at home because of "unfavourable weather conditions".

The unseasonable snowfall - coming only eight days before the official start of spring - also knocked out power to thousands of people in France and left hundreds of motorists stranded in their cars.

About 80,000 homes in the north and northwest of France were without power, following snowfalls of up to 60cm (24ins).

More than 2,000 people were stranded in their cars overnight as heavy snow paralysed roads in Normandy and Brittany, with many spending the night in emergency shelters.

"There are cars in front, there are cars behind. We're in a film, it's like the end of the world," said one trapped driver.

A traffic accident near Lille injured 14 people and a 58-year-old homeless man was found dead, presumably from the cold, outside a building in the town of Saint-Brieuc in Brittany.

Across the border in Belgium, motorists were hit by record traffic jams with many caught in treacherous conditions and battling icy roads, strong winds and reduced visibility due to snowdrifts.

Rail services were also affected - many cancelled - including some of the Thalys high-speed trains to Paris, Germany and the Netherlands, leaving thousands of commuters stranded on snowed-in platforms.

Long traffic jams because of snow and ice also snaked along motorways in the southern Netherlands, hampering travel to and from Belgium after more than 10cm (4ins) of snow overnight.

Eurostar suspended cross-Channel train services between London and Paris following heavy snow.

"Due to extremely difficult weather conditions in northern France and Belgium, with a major part of the high-speed train tracks closed, Eurostar trains have been suspended until further notice," it said.

"Our advice to passengers is not to travel today and not to come to our stations. Exchanges and refunds will be available to affected passengers."

About 500 passengers on a ferry from Ireland to France were forced to spend the night anchored off shore after the vessel failed to dock due to high seas.

A number of French children on a school trip to Ireland were among those on board Irish Ferries vessel Oscar Wilde, which made numerous attempts to dock in Cherbourg in the north west of France

Passenger Caroline Mulreany told Sky News: "This boat, I feel, is in danger of a serious accident.

"Maybe more help is needed and they are not asking for it. The boat right now is swaying really, really bad and crashing in and out of the water.

"Everyone on board is violently sick and they don't have a doctor or anti-sick tablets."

The company said the vessel had attempted to dock four times without success.

"The vessel remains off the port and it is expected that a further attempt will not be made until circa lunchtime today when some weather improvement is expected (or earlier, if possible)," it said.

"To complicate matters further, it is understood that the port area and roads around Cherbourg are gripped by snow and icy conditions.

"Save for the obvious discomfort of being delayed from going ashore, everyone on board is safe and reported to be in good spirits, are comfortable and are being well catered for on board.

In the docking attempt yesterday, one crew member suffered what is understood to be a fractured leg. It was not possible to evacuate him to hospital. He is being attended to by two doctors who were travelling as passengers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

As expected virtually all snow gone from the garden,just a few patches left that have been in shade allday.Temp peaked at 3.6 and wind not nearly as bitter as yesterday or first thing this morning.Although had alot of near misses for this part of NW Kent which has been frustrating,we have still had 4 or 5 snowfalls this winter which is pretty good.We were spoilt in December 2010 so when scoring this winter you almost exclude that winter as it was a bit of a "one off" so i would score it 7/10.Think that will be it for here although i think we can expect below average temps for next 7-10 days so Spring is going to be very late this year.

Posted

Rapid thaw going on here in Southend. Amazing in fact. All roads clear and just patches left of the grass and of course the mega drifts. Was good whilst it lasted!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep snow, thunderstorms, heatwaves

Total non event here yesterday, a few heavy bursts of dandruff blowing in the wind but little to get excited about.

After Kent and Sussex stole all the snow our area deserves a pasting before the heat comes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

Tom,

Does this mean I would play Mr Sherman next or is it a random draw? Im already nervous thinking about coming up against the man himself smile.png

Edited by Essexgooner