Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland - Alba Regional Discussion 20/03/13 21z ------>

A.J

Posted

We've had a decent fall here overnight. Its hard to estimate depth as theres been quite a bit of snow blowing about but ranges from 4cm to 15cm in the deeper parts. Still snowing but mainly light. 1.0c/-1.5c.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Got about 6cm plus drifting.Think its just snizzle left on the radar now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

The Edinburgh snow shield appears to have been in fantastic form overnight!

Whereas this Edinburgher has woken in Essex to an inch of snow and still falling!

The news reports from parts of the UK are staggeringly snowy... someone in the SE thread posted some quotes about previous spring snow - 1916 and 1919 both had a foot or so of snow in London itself, in late March and late April. It happens, but not very often... mind you, it doesn't look like there'll be much down here, and it's fairly wet. Still, nice to see it! I remember staying here in Feb 1991 when it was knee-deep snow for the whole week and colder than Moscow...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

It looks as though there could be some more snow for the Essex area overnight into tomorrow.

Nooooo!!!! I really really have to get a train from S.Essex to E.Kent on Sunday morning. Really have to.

Mind you, at present it's only an inch and pretty wet, so I am hoping it isn't going to be a problem!

Posted

The Edinburgh snow shield appears to have been in fantastic form overnight!

It's quite gutting when I have family in yorkshire sending me pics of 15 inches of snow

Some of the pics from north Wales are insane!

Edited by JoeShmoe

Posted

Nothing of note here.

Seems the grey cloud hasn't decided to leave yet! Uppers still cold enough snow up here but that cloud needs to get tae!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Snizzling again as it was overnight though not enough to even cover the grass and melting on paved areas.

Temperature gone from +1.6C at 00.28 to a minimum of +1.1C at 06.54. Currently +1.3C/-1.4C.

Working in Blairgowrie yesterday, just below the snow line. Patients were reporting roads closed over by Forfar, Letham and Kirriemuir due to drifting snow off the fields.

As ever the snow gates on the A93 from Blairgowrie to Spittal of Glenshee were closed at Bridge of Cally.

post-9088-0-52749900-1364031676_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Some of the picnic table pics out there rival SS table..diablo.gif Amazing pictures.

A pretty dull affair here today - not very exciting !

Grey, dry, overcast very breezy and windchill that turns your back garden into a fridge..

I think a Net Wx road trip down to visit Catch is in order..!

Edited by lorenzo

Posted

Ok folks what's the likely hood of this grey cloud doing a disappearing act and at least giving us NE folks a chance of some convective showers off the north sea?

Posted

Another stunningly cold morning with a strong E wind ,dull, some flurries enough to give the frozen farm road a white appearance and currently 0c.Ground still drying due to wind and sublimation overnight in the freezing conditions. Can"t remember a period of such sustained cold in March. It usually came and went with average conditions every 2 or 3 days. Am beginning to get concerned about how far into April this carries on especially with North Sea so cold. No point in sowing anything in the fields or garden as it will not germinate!!!!

Posted

Morning, nice to wake at last with a very good surviving cover of snaw. Last night we got a healthy top up, so a good couple of inches of clean crispy snaw to play in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Check out the pics on the Wales, Yorkshire and Lincolnshire and NW England Forums folks.

This is the West coast of the Isle of Mann at sea level - mental!

post-9088-0-97227100-1364033257_thumb.jp

Posted

Just been into my study which is East facing and had no heat on. The temperature is 8C in that room. It didn't get below 10C in December 2010. Double glazing/window seals must be useless.

Posted

Melting going on but with that wind it ain't half cold!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Just been into my study which is East facing and had no heat on. The temperature is 8C in that room. It didn't get below 10C in December 2010. Double glazing/window seals must be useless.

Yeah I've noticed that the house is near impossible to warm up this week. The wind is chilling the building despite the heating being on. I dread to think of the oil consumption just now. Gonna light the stove in a bit for extra warmth.

Currently -1.8C outside and shows no sign of rising any time soon. I know I keep saying it but given we rarely get below freezing up here at night (yet alone day time) 'cause the cold sinks off the hill, this month has been incredible. No new snow today but the road is blocked again by drifting.

Edited by Scotster

Posted

Constant light snow or snow pellets coming in off the sea this morning giving a thin covering, IF proper convection starts later in a straight east wind without influence from the front I'd be confident of a decent covering.

Another stunningly cold morning with a strong E wind ,dull, some flurries enough to give the frozen farm road a white appearance and currently 0c.Ground still drying due to wind and sublimation overnight in the freezing conditions. Can"t remember a period of such sustained cold in March. It usually came and went with average conditions every 2 or 3 days. Am beginning to get concerned about how far into April this carries on especially with North Sea so cold. No point in sowing anything in the fields or garden as it will not germinate!!!!

I've a few articles about how a lot farmers in the UK are struggling with conditions in the last year. Surely a delayed spring is risking turning this into a crisis come the autumn when yields are down and food prices rocket. When is the latest you could sow cereal crops?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Just back from Gala.

As I was in a hurry, took the back roads. Mistake. Probably the most impassable road I've ever navigated in the Leon; drifts considerably deeper than the base of the car. Didnae get stuck though! Bouncing over drifts was interesting though.

After got the wee yin to the swimming pool on time for lessons, when heading back decided to take the long way via the main roads. Got up to 50 and the car is vibrating quite noticeably Thought tae masel, oh f3ck, hope a huvnae duffed the suspension or something.

Quick look at the wheels though and ah-ha; lots of snaw and ice trapped in them. Which of course throws the wheel balance way off at speed...

Anyhoo, might be useful to know folks.

0.4 C, windy, light snow showers at times, drifting still going on locally.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Seems endless this cold. Today is identical to any number of recent days. Grey, baltic, tiny face-stinging snow flakes in the wind. Not that I take GFS as the gospel model but this easterly component is there through its entire next 2 weeks. If that holds true I will be screaming for April warmth!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Ok folks what's the likely hood of this grey cloud doing a disappearing act and at least giving us NE folks a chance of some convective showers off the north sea?

Looks like on radar some light showers hanging around the coast, but certainly not a full on blast of convection.

Sat rep displays the situation well, lots of cold dry air pouring out of Scandi and a flat section of Sc across the country, the cloud streets this time arcing further North.

post-7292-0-89638400-1364036450_thumb.pn

Attached a couple of Skew Ts - Dyce and Aboyne.

post-7292-0-28354100-1364036429_thumb.gi post-7292-0-92810200-1364036438_thumb.pn

Am hopeless with these ones not enough practice deciphering them - so hopefully LS or Mr Pilot can tell you more, if the gist of this is both lines need to be closer together to create cloud tops then the green section at 800mb on the Dyce one indicates dry air or a cap on convection. Hopefully they can clarify or put me right.

Here is the ECM driven Meteogram for Aberdeen.

post-7292-0-46169700-1364036441_thumb.pn

Accumulations or more prolonged showers further inland or at elevation according to the much maligned NAE 06z.

post-7292-0-13443700-1364036597_thumb.gi

Grainy, graupel showers fizzed in on a brutal cold wind would be my guess !

Edit - add uppers - cold.gifcold.gifcold.gif Even the 950s are as cold as we might be looking for at the 850 level !!!

post-7292-0-20470800-1364036853_thumb.gipost-7292-0-93762800-1364036924_thumb.gi

Edited by lorenzo