Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland - Alba Regional Discussion 20/03/13 21z ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters

I don't know if we'll have the detailed historical data for comparison, but even if this March comes in at the 2nd or 3rd coldest relative to 1947, it would be fascinating to know the shape and distribution of it.

By which I mean, I'm assuming that 1947 was mostly early to mid-month following on from a very cold February. And that the 1947 average was dragged down by some very cold overnight lows. This cold is (relatively) mid to late March and hasn't (as yet) produced many notable lows (a few but not many). Average temperatures tell us one part of the story, but would be great to line-graph 1947 against 2013 and see "the shape of the month" for a few selected sites.

Even if it doesn't beat 1947 overall, it could still maybe come in at the coldest 2nd half of March on record. Anyway, fun to speculate...

we will more than likely see some hard frosts during next week when the winds drop off so that will help with pulling the average down

Posted

Truly remarkeable modelling at the moment, -10 to -13 T850's for the next 48 hours, or maybe 168 hours..... Absolutely no end to cold in sight on models, if only they could get the roads to the Eastern ski centres open.

Posted

its snowing here and have a covering

only kidding rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

its snowing here and have a covering

only kidding rofl.gif

BUS - we really have to get you paid employment!

Posted

It's very quiet in here.....so there's a choice of 3 things happening;

1) everyone is out playing in the snow or

2) everyone is bored of the weather or

3) it's Saturday night and all have dates!!

Bugger all happening here as usual. Windy cold and nae snow

Posted

BUS - we really have to get you paid employment!

i wish i could find something the boredom kills me sometimes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

You think you've got problems - try being an agnostic atheist Calvinist - it's a right sod! biggrin.png

Not much fun being a Methodist Catholic.either. Its bad enough not drinking. But to have to feel bl**dy guilty about it really sucks......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

This is just wacky stuff. And its likely the next 24 hours will hardly continue to budge a degree either way. Amazing in its own way, just amazing...

Some shelter in the far west could take the edge off the cold as the week goes on by a degree or so, but it seems quite possible that many central and eastern areas could *fail* to get above 40F by this same time next Saturday. And beyond that...jeez, who knows when it'll subside...

post-9506-0-13548000-1364077901_thumb.jp

Edited by by-tor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

ECM now taking the p*sh cold out beyond Easter and into April. Limpet Highs in situ:

post-6412-0-67553800-1364080461_thumb.pn

1. The CODSAC*

2. The Scandi High aka the SODSAC (Significant Other Deliverer [of] Snaw And Cauld)

and making up the Troika of Cauld...

3. The Arctic High aka the HOCTSA (HOly Crap, The Spring's Awa).

Once again, striking cross-model agreement tonight on nothing warm for the foreseeable. Notable that the hunt in the TOORPing thread is now for anything mild.

Today's Embra (Marchmont) summary: rinse and repeat - grey, cauld, raw with occasional snawgrains skelping the face like angry ice-midgies in a vicious easterly wind. Crossing the Meadows this afternoon felt like being on the wrong end of a wind tunnel whilst walking through a deep freeze. No' braw at a'!

"High" of 1.4ºC and a low of 0.8ºC for the 24 hours to 9pm - as By-Tor says, remarkable in its consistency.

Lying snow depth: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Don't be silly. This is Embra.

Really, really ready for the Big Yellow Warm Thing in the sky now.

Wait until I get my mitts on that *****y groundhog.......

post-6412-0-52114300-1364080500_thumb.jp

*see here: http://forum.netweat...00#entry2646552

Posted
Posted · Hidden by 101_North, March 23, 2013 - I love my mates but...
Hidden by 101_North, March 23, 2013 - I love my mates but...

Here... Steaming... Shame on me....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Similar here with snow grains blowing in all day and a high of 1.3C with a min of 0.9C. I even have a drift against the East side of the garden shed. Not a lot of change in last couple of days. Wind still gusting but not as strongly as earlier in the day or yesterday [Friday].

Posted

There's still lying snow - mainly on the grass which makes measurements a bit more difficult but probably arpund 2cm. The whole area is looking very good under the blanket of snow, especially the fields and the Campsie Fells where there were some massive drifts. The last of the snow was during the afternoon which remarkably made this season snowier than 2010/2011! And the strong easterly wind felt bitter. The most notable thing about yesterday was that the maximum temperature was only 1C at Glasgow airport. I had a look through the records going back to 1973 and only one day in March 1980 equalled todays high. I find that amazing, considering how late it is the month and roughly this time last year it was 20C. I enjoy an element of winter in our Spring weather, but into April I'd be nice to actually have some proper Spring weather and also the last of the winter weather (ala 2012) and the first of the summer weather (such as 2011). But it has to be said that this month probably is the March equivalent to November 2010. Each month has also contributed to the winter 2012/2013 in its own way (December had coldest maximum temperature, joint coldest, longest spell of lying snow; January had the longest run of temperatures below 5C, joint snowiest month/ most consecutive days with snow at Glasgow airport; February had the largest snow-depth here and the most air frosts....).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Just back from a night out playing with the piping society at the society oscars. Wind chill in Edinburgh is around -100000C, reaching -200000000C with gusts. Crazy stuff, no fun trying to play in it or to walk back after a few drinks for that matter.

Still no sign of anything warm, or mild, or cool, just cold, always cold:

13032518_2318.gif

Nothing not cold up to +240 on the pub run:

13040218_2318.gif

More snow chances, more cold, more utterly freezing walks back home in Edinburgh, more high food prices and more angry farmers unfortunately. NL is going to have a tough year unless this turns around and it is getting beyond a joke now really, especially if it refuses to snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Then back to road which was just too tempting not to have a play on. Did decide at one point that discretion was the better part of valour, a three point turn would be much more fun/challenging!

A wee vid for the winter wubber lubbers among you.

Not quite on the same scale as down sarf but it's definetly winter up there!

Quality vid. Road looks like the one I took to gala the morn.

Must admit at times I thought I was pushing snow driving too far and would get stuck (snow shovel, blankets, snacks in boot of course). Last drift had me s**ting myself; something of a first.

One proper farmer 4x4 had obviously been past within the last hour so I could see the depth from his tracks. Took a new line rather than that of the 4x4 to get maximum lift over the big barstool which must have been up to 40 cm deep at peak (only 2-3 m wide though, and soft, fluffy snaw, so you can ride and push through it).

No chance without winters type road. Crazy to attempt even with, so will turn back next time!

-0.7 C here with light snow flurries at times.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

I CAN SEE THE FORTH!!!! FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THREE DAYS!!!! AND IT'S GOT SUN SHINING ON IT!!!!

Honest, guv :) I can even see a tiny patch of blue sky :) There's hope!!

Posted

Sunnier morning in Campsie with a cover of snow remaining and the hills looking great. 1.4c/-4.2c.

Good agreement for cold to continue throughout the coming week. It looks mainly dry with the wind dying down a bit over the next few days which will bring some hard frosts. Shower risk should increase as we move through the week, moreso for eastern areas. My attention will be on the end of the week and the next attempt by the Atlantic to bring in Spring. Scotland is favoured to stay on the cold side with any precipitation remaining as snow.

The GFS, as is often the case a bit progressive, UKMO less so and ECM the best option for those wanting to stay in the freezer.

GFS by Saturday:-

post-9135-0-04007500-1364113442_thumb.pn

UKMO

post-9135-0-88471100-1364113467_thumb.gi

ECM

post-9135-0-32430600-1364113502_thumb.gi

Posted

Cold dull dry less wind and currently 0c. Snow patches in all the usual places now on their 7th day!!!! Ground frozen hard

Small signs of the low cloud taking a hike this morning, even a small patch of blue sky. Models hint at snizzle for the east coast for the next couple of days.

GFS gives us a repeat of this weekend next weekend with a different outcome, front moves in and wins. ECM not having it! Fascinating week ahead smile.png I would post charts but need to go to work today (boo hiss).

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Temperature currently +1.9C/-3.5C (+0.4C/hour) with a minimum of +1.1C at 04.57. The air is certainly on the dry side with RH 67%. Snizzling earlier but now dry. Leaden skies continue.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

Erm.....I just looked outside and saw this. What is it!?

post-10976-0-58687000-1364120390_thumb.j

Don't know Scotster,but I bet it's accompanied by this!!post-18260-0-75870100-1364121000_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow

My east facing windows are very salty this morning!

Hiya,you need to stop that..it ain't good for youpost-18260-0-13536100-1364121639_thumb.jpost-18260-0-06515600-1364121653_thumb.j