Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion 20/03/13 22z ------>

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

They took off Saturdays yellow warning..hope that's just for upgrading to Amber

haha "We got it wrong, no snow just lots of rain"

lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!

haha "We got it wrong, no snow just lots of rain"

lol

Arrgh no no no..

Posted

Saturday seems to have been downgraded slightly with more light snow than heavy. Sorry, should have said that's for Leeds.

Edited by Barking_Mad

Posted

Well good luck to all of you in the South of the region but i can't see this amounting to much for York - it's been a rather poor winter (and spring!) for snow really. Our lack of elevation defeats us.

I promise not to moan though, even though the thought of you getting 30 - 40 cms makes me a smidgeon jealous...

Hi there Yaffle. I think we've done just fine this winter. 1 full week and two weekends of snow (settled with depth) in January... a good dollop in Feb (several short lived snow events) and looks to me that we will certainly see some snow this weekend .... though probably several cm rather than the 10-30 cm likely to the West and South.

Its been okay this winter and a zillion times better than the winters of late 90's early 2000's.

Chin up, it is spring .... but more snow could hit next week as well !

Y.S

Posted

Hi there Yaffle. I think we've done just fine this winter. 1 full week and two weekends of snow (settled with depth) in January... a good dollop in Feb (several short lived snow events) and looks to me that we will certainly see some snow this weekend .... though probably several cm rather than the 10-30 cm likely to the West and South.

Its been okay this winter and a zillion times better than the winters of late 90's early 2000's.

Chin up, it is spring .... but more snow could hit next week as well !

Y.S

Yes, you're right YS i am just a bit negative.

I will certainly remember the late Jan sat night snowfall (was it the 28th?) as i was with the cubs walking around Snowball Plantation. It was amazing in the trees in with only torches to mark the swirling snow.

Here's hoping for something unexpected... if that isn't an oxymoron...

Posted

I remember a similar scenario back inwinter 1992/93when i was working on the milk round.A front was due to move up from the sw against entrenched cold air,so we started delivering at midnight to be finished for 6ish when the heavy snow was forecast.Obviously the front died a death to th sw of us and we ended up with a cm or 2.Got the day off school though and extra cash lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!

Yellow is back for Sat ..shame there's no amber

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

latest bbc look north shows disruptive snow rite thre sat to be honest

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather but love snow

I thought Paul Hudson was rather brief and stand offish with the snow risk disruption. Playing his cards close to his chest I think for now. Not holding out for scunny to get a big hit but to be honest I'm full of man flu and am hoping for a heat wave as soon as possible lol. Would be nice for my bday in April as I've booked a hot tub for my week off work lol.

Posted

Id look at the video forecast that usually appears around lunchtime, but for some reason its not been updated.

Afternoon.

The missus is heading over to Liverpool tomorrow from Hull at 9am on her hen night on either the bus or train (I don't know which).

What's the probability that she will get make it over the Pennines, because I was looking forward to a quiet night in watching the footie :)

Cheers

Posted

Afternoon.

The missus is heading over to Liverpool tomorrow from Hull at 9am on her hen night on either the bus or train (I don't know which).

What's the probability that she will get make it over the Pennines, because I was looking forward to a quiet night in watching the footie smile.png

Cheers

haha. I'd take a guess at go on the train! A van would seem like madness to me!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny (hate hot), severe thunderstorms, heavy snow, extreme cold

Met office 5 day says constant heavy snow from 3am till 10pm sat then light snow till 12pm on sunday. :)

Then again I am in the very south west of yorkshire. Missed out hugely this winter with a max snow depth of 11cm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild Spring , hot summer , crisp autumn and snowy cold winters

Not going to kix anything but my weekend off is looking good for some proper weather good.gif

Posted

Guys I think the next gfs is crucial to our snow chances, let's have one more upgrade before we get into the time frame where upgrades will be quite unlikely.

What's the current situation? We looking at less snow at the moment? When is the next GFS output?

Posted

Gut feeling tells me that away from south yorkshire there won't be any big totals like places further south west will get.

But barnsley is still favourite for a pasting?

Posted

But barnsley is still favourite for a pasting?

For a real pasting it's on a knife edge, you will at least get a good covering though!

Met office updated forecast for yorkshire doesn't look bad:

This Evening and Tonight:

A mainly fine evening will be followed by increasing and thickening cloud overnight. This is expected to bring outbreaks of sleet and snow to many areas by the end of the night. Increasingly windy, too. Minimum Temperature -1 °C.

Friday:

Snow for much of the region, with significant accumulations in places, especially on higher ground of the Pennines, probably light and intermittent and more of sleet near the coast. Windy. Maximum Temperature 2 °C.

Outlook for Saturday to Monday:

Snow and strong winds continuing for many parts Saturday morning, then slowly dying out, with some bright or sunny intervals on Sunday and Monday. Very cold and windy throughout.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

GFS 12z looks alright to me with hours of mod-heavy snow, the front does appear to struggle at first but has no problem moving east eventually, W York's looks alright IMO.

Posted

certainly does look good for most of our region will be nice to watch it fall during the day for a change!

I am surprised though theres no amber warnings for our region but then there is still time

Edited by LeeSnowFan