Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Chase Day 17 - Slight Risk MT/ND/SD/NE/KS/WY/CO

Paul Sherman

Posted

Any of the above, a broad slight risk area, mainly for hail and wind damage but the odd isolated tornado cannot be ruled out if moisture can get advected far enough North.

Please chat away here

Posted

24h RGEM shows a meso-scale low east of Denver and Boulder CO that could enhance upslope thunderstorm formation to the east of those locations, otherwise on the larger scale, eastern Wyoming looks most promising although a better moisture field could give good results in southeast New Mexico but that seems a long way to go.

Edited by Roger J Smith

Posted

On the road from our overnight stay in Burlington, CO. Heading north towards the South Dakota border for some northern plains magic today :D

Posted

Afternoon team. I quite like the area around Chadron, NE up near the SD border. On the NE flank of the Denver cyclone, close to 60F dps have already got into the area and SRH looks sufficient. A suspect a line of cells will develop by 21Z from NW SD to NW NE and the southern end of this line could provide some fun.

Posted

Just finished lunch and heading north towards the South Dakota border :D

Posted

Personally I would head for I80 in Nebraska, some where near Gothenburg and wait for thinks to kick off. 

Posted

No Rich, we're all the way up in Nebraska! Will be making a decision shortly whether to head for the cell heading in to SW South Dakota

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells

hey Arron. Your a good 90 miles away from that cell to your north I think - take it you guys are banking on something firing up a bit closer -

Posted

anyone else around? - I make tha cell to the SW about 40 miles from the Team, if the gps is right, and tops now of 25 kft - definitely building -

Posted

I cant work out whether its attached to the warm front, or some sort of wave off of that range, or just a serious right mover!

Posted

Hey Arron, is your route up SD 79 to I-90? Elk Vale Road cuts across outer suburbs of Rapid City could save you 10-15 mins. (Just looking on Google Earth). Sure your GPS will give you best route, I can't see any way to cut across country to Wall.

Sam, the storm is frontal, crest of the warm sector. Will probably track about due east or maybe ENE a touch, will need a north-south road off the I-90 to get close.

Posted

Yeah that's the one Roger, just no roads that cut NE so having to blast north and then across the I90

Posted

Well you're almost to Rapid City, take Elk Vale Rd across to I-90 east and then if the storm hasn't outrun you, 173 Ave runs north from I-90 and has an interchange. Just looking to see what sort of road connections there are up 173 Ave, imagine it's a paved 2-lane suburban to rural sort of road with 55 limit. Country looks flat with 200 ft deep river valleys here and there disrupting otherwise grid NS EW road pattern. Let me know if you want any phone numbers for specific motels, I can google them here and post them for you, or addresses for that matter, got me the old google earth going. Wall has the world's largest drug store, did you ever see it on other trips? There's nothing else there.