Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wimbledon tennis weather 2013

Coast

Posted

As you of course know, Wimbledon starts Monday, but is this traditionally wet event (I have no evidence at all for that, just it seems like it!) going to be wet or dry?

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

The vast majority of games played through the years have been dry actually, you just remember the stoppages.

Given the draw however i need a front on QF day as it's the only chance Fed has of deposing Nadal quickly enough with the roof closed and still have enough to energy to take Murray.

Posted

Murray will win Wimbledon

Bold forecast!! :lol: 

Posted

Bold forecast!! Posted Image

If he reaches the final then he's actually the marginal favourate this year (and i'm not a Murray lover). His big problem is being crushed by Nadal in the SF or 50/50 against Fed.

(and i'm not a Murray lover).

Never would have guessed that.

Murray will win Wimbledon

Last year people said he would never win a Grand Slam and that was wrong, so who knows.

As you of course know, Wimbledon starts Monday, but is this traditionally wet event (I have no evidence at all for that, just it seems like it!) going to be wet or dry?

Week 1 is looking pretty dry, week 2 too far away to tell.

Edited by Jackone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I would like a washout on Wed 3rd July, so I can see all 4 quarter finals, rather than just 2, they should put all 4 quarters, mens and womens on centre court, not 2 on court 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

The annual Wimbledon forecast and rain radar is now up and running:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=wimbledon;sess=

A black box appears over the radar, presumably an advert failing to load for me.

Posted

A box will appear while the animation for the radar loads but that should clear very quickly, which browser are you using?

Posted

Posted

Wimbledon gets under way at the All England club in London on Monday, with all eyes on which of the main protagonists can best negotiate the grass, weather and their rivals to emerge as the champion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/23013684

Posted

Posted

Jo is going to be updating her forecast on the wimbledon page daily, alongside the local forecast and radar. 

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=wimbledon;sess=

There is some patchy rain in the vicinity but I'd have thought that even if it passes through it'll not be enough to cause any problems.

Posted

Looks set for another rain free day today with partial cloud clearing through the day, but returning towards the end of the afternoon?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted

Posted

The most disrupted Wimbledon championships were apparently in 1922:

Wimbledon 1922: Unseen photos show brollies, queues ... and fur coats

Long queues of spectators and a stadium full of umbrellas — these historic and previously unseen photographs of the Wimbledon Championships show not much has changed.

The black and white images, from 1922, show fans prepared to stand in line for hours for the chance to glimpse the sporting heroes of the day. Of course, Centre Court fans now have a multi-million-pound retractable roof to shelter under — but elsewhere on the grounds they must suffer London’s inclement weather just as they did all those years ago.

The rare photographs are published in a new book chronicling the early years of tennis and the life of George Hillyard, one of the game’s most influential figures and the man responsible for moving the Championships to its present venue. More than 200 photographs appear in the book, by professional tennis coach Bruce Tarran. One shows  Suzanne Lenglen of France turning up for the final against Molla Mallory wearing a fur coat.

The book describes how in 1887 Hillyard, aged 23, married Wimbledon Ladies champion Blanche Bingley and  influenced the world of tennis for the next 40 years. He won Olympic doubles gold at the London Games in 1908 and helped found the Lawn Tennis Association, wresting power over the game from The All England Club 

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/wimbledon-1922-unseen-photos-show-brollies-queues--and-fur-coats-8665413.html

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

I think that the crowd and players at Wimbledon will be happy enough this year - without either being drenched and shivering in the sort of weather we had last summer (or in 1922!) or baking and dehydrating in a cauldron of heat at the other extreme. If I was going it would make my wardrobe planning much easier tooPosted Image No fur coat required anyway!

Posted

Looks largely like there will be continuous play today, with a very low chance of an isolated shower later in the afternoon.