Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion 23rd July 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Lol..I'm more pleased the candle was protected, and pre caution adhered too! Saved for another rainy day.

Bish is too posh for candles !!!!  Its a solar light Posted Image

Posted

So an hour after i got into lichfield today there was a 'storm' (what my facebook feed told me) then as i was getting back into gentleshaw there was literally a 10 second burst of very heavy rain and a rumble of thunder, not my day i guess

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Excellent photos Bish! Christ thats some downpour! As echoed by Andixx some really loud thunder and good lightning and biblical rain reported here mid this afternoon. Even when I was up in Chester, the cloud structures were by far the best and cleanest ive seen this year. Classic day!

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

And before I forget, I thought the standard of posting in this thread today was brilliant throughout - it really does help enhance our enjoyment and understanding of a weather event when everyone shares their experiences within our little corner of the forum Posted Image

Bish

Edited by Bishop Brennan

Posted

Lol...amen to that!!!! Specsavers?

Looks to be room for a BBQ Posted Image

Another 20 mins of that weather and we would definitely of needed this, LOL

Posted Image

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Indeed Bish..bit of a round trip, but hey..amongst the rumbles, flashes, initially from near W Newport, via Haughton..then storm Bloxwich way - finally near on 10 mins of complete, bonkers mayhem, near Albrighton/Codsall way, last totally as if by chance and sheer luck especially when I thought, surely there can't be more?

Oh well, even if the northern folk hog all the storms tomorrow, I for one won't begrudge them, never do :) or anyone else for that matter. Unless they're say Dutch/German/Belgian or French hehe..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Have to agree with some of the comments from the likes Bishop Brennan in regards to the amazement of that mega downpour which gave Solihull and the surrounding areas a good slamming of rain and icy stuff. Although the Met Office had forecasted heavy and thundery showers for the Midlands, I didn't comprehend how powerful they really were going to be. It did just literally go mad at one point with the rain and hailstones looking as though it didn't want to give up that easily. But I don't think it was only the weather that went mad as I kept looking out through the window and saying to myself in an overly-excited manner "oh my gosh, oh my gosh, this is incredible" (or something like that). It's like, as if, I found it hard to believe what I was seeing, even though I probably did get a little carried away.

Had noticed however, on my way home on the train, that the clouds to the West became very dull and stormy looking with very dark low level bases (see the bottom right hand-side of the '6-in-1' pic). And I think it seemed to be that mass of dark grey stormy cloud which grew to become a savage thunderstorm around/near the Birmingham area. Back building seemed to have been evident from that approaching storm, plus the increasingly developing precipitation curtain behind that mass of particularly dark cloud (when I noticed it from the train window around 4:45pm) had seemed to have expanded and become more substantial. This somewhat lead me to believe that some very heavy stuff was about to hit here, but even then, it was more heavier than I imagined it would be. I would probably go as far as saying that watching how intense the rain and hail got (accompanied by some rumbles of thunder, which increasingly got louder, as well as some flashes of lightning) is enough to award this thunderstorm the No. 1 status. Posted Image

(most of the pics were taken just before the heavy downpour and also when the storm made a slow getaway Eastwards)

post-10703-0-34385100-1375145682_thumb.p

(also the odd pic of a thundery cumulonimbus cloud taken a few miles North-West of Birmingham)

post-10703-0-73457200-1375146318_thumb.j

But it does indeed look like it has been a pretty great day for those who like thundery weather in the region. Though, hopefully, if your still someone where all the thunderstorms have turned against you by devilishly avoided your area, that the rest of Summer can bring you some rumbly delights. ;-)

Edited by DiagonalRedLine

Posted

Haha. :p I dont suppose when you say Curry house you mean Kaben at the top end of the high street if you have ever been through their before. Only voted one of the best curry houses in the Stourbridge area. :p :lol:

Tiffins is better :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Seems to me a much calmer day with generally cloudy skies at the moment, but with some brightness too. The radar showing some showers trying to break free from the West, with the big ones currently going to the North of Birmingham. But after what happened yesterday, I wouldn't be too bothered if the storm shield here deflated them all away from here.

Feels quite pleasant with the temperature around 20*C(ish).

Posted

lol there were over 170 posts on this thread yesterday, compared with just six today (and one of them is about a curry house in Stourbridge!) Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

A classic case of the calm after the storm(s) methinks!

Bish

Posted

Hi Bish..... There's seven Posted Image ....No weather, No posts ! That's just the way the cookie crumbles Posted Image

Posted

Just to add one more post to today's input.

Like I keep saying, I have the most amazing view to the east from where I am...can see for miles. Just had a lovely view of convection way off to the north east. Looking at the radar, looks like I was seeing heavy showers near Derby and Nottingham. No Solihull/Coventry storm blocking my view today! Posted Image

Edited by Gord

Like I keep saying, I have the most amazing view to the east from where I am...can see for miles. Just had a lovely view of convection way off to the north east. Looking at the radar, looks like I was seeing heavy showers near Derby and Nottingham. No Solihull/Coventry storm blocking my view today! Posted Image

I spoke to someone today who lives in the north of Coventry whose neighbour had their roof destroyed by lightning yesterday around 6 pm Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

I have the most amazing views to the west! Literally can see the Welsh mountains when it's clear. Get a good view to the east if I take a short walk on the Hill path, but not at all from the house. South is also pretty much a non-view, south-west yes, but not due south. Wouldn't change living on this Hill for anything, though. To the west and SW tonight the clouds are gathering on the horizon, guess that'll be tonight's rain on the way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

My view is excellent to the East and North East, towards Birmingham way. However my road also has excellent views towards Clent and North Worcestershire. :)

Posted

Tiffins is better Posted Image

home of the milli jilli! lol, anyway back on track, think we're in for a fair bit of light persistant rain tomorrow, followed by a drier slot thursday, for now the thundery activity seems to be restricted :/

Posted

Off camping tomorrow in Weymouth for a week, Hope to have good weather down there, Don't mind a little rain during the night just hoping the days are ok.

Anyway BBQ every night with a few tinnies of course, CAN'T BE BAD !!!! Oh yes i'm sure the kids will love beach as well Posted Image  See you when i get back....... HAPPY DAYS Posted Image

I spoke to someone today who lives in the north of Coventry whose neighbour had their roof destroyed by lightning yesterday around 6 pm :shok:

Not good - must've been twelve or so at the time, playing at a mates house during one pretty vicious Summer storm - we were in the hall, right next to his glass embossed porch door..when an almighty flash then instant deafening boom! Made us jump like mad...Turned out a house only a block away had a direct hit, chimney adios...electrics ciao, phone line, tarrah..only then later to discover it was a friend of my folks? They said it was rather loud lol..remember it like it were yesterday.Anyone still awake zzzzz :)

Off camping tomorrow in Weymouth for a week, Hope to have good weather down there, Don't mind a little rain during the night just hoping the days are ok.

Anyway BBQ every night with a few tinnies of course, CAN'T BE BAD !!!! Oh yes i'm sure the kids will love beach as well :rofl: See you when i get back....... HAPPY DAYS Posted Image

Enjoy, I'm pretty sure that the warm if not hot bits shall make up for the MCS and rainier bits! A break is a break, get some sea air :) Edited by triple_x1

Posted

hi i though i share you my days weather we had here at walsall on monday 29th july

First video shows a short clip of the clouds starting to grow,next clip shows the first Thunderstorm 

All comments are welcome.

cloud developing and growing

http://youtu.be/n-JSpUYgdy8

This was the first Thunderstorm From Walsall

Second Thunderstorm

http://youtu.be/4KhrF-jfrAo 

Edited by STORMGUY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Very ready for tomorrows weather - just a few days away from warm weather and you really miss it! Although to be fair it hasn't been cool until today (18c still!) although suspect it'll pick up this afternoon.