Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 23rd August onwards 2013

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Loud thunder to my south,missed the lightning as i went for a P LOL.

Posted

Loud thunder to my south,missed the lightning as i went for a P LOL.

Il keep sending em your way Si Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Woken up by very heavy rain about 2am, saw one flash of lightning. OH said it lasted about an hour but was a good few miles away to the NW. Still raining.

Posted

Yes I suppose.

Sorry guys, I never thought that using 'Newton Poppleford Weather' would be such a big deal...

Hi William. I'm rather dissapointed with one or two of the comments you received to be honest. I'm pretty certain that the majority of us here admire and appreciate your obvious enthusiasm for all things weather related. I hope you have not been put off posting. It's fair comment though that there is no need to keep posting your full address with every post. It appears underneath your avatar and in your signature. Don't be put off mate Posted Image

Back on topic just light and sporadic rainfall here, and eveything seems to be shifting further east ?

• Like 2

Guest William Grimsley

Hi William. I'm rather dissapointed with one or two of the comments you received to be honest. I'm pretty certain that the majority of us here admire and appreciate your obvious enthusiasm for all things weather related. I hope you have not been put off posting. It's fair comment though that there is no need to keep posting your full address with every post. It appears underneath your avatar and in your signature. Don't be put off mate Posted Image

Back on topic just light and sporadic rainfall here, and eveything seems to be shifting further east ?

It hasn't put me off posting don't worry. I just like to do that thanks.

Well, it looks like a few people in the East have seen some action last night. To be honest, I was expecting WAY more intense rain than that on the radar, this morning. Shows how OTT the BBC is doesn't it?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Well one rumble yesterday evening was all I heard and the rain was heavy but not torrential. I therefore think my forecast of heavy rain with the odd rumble of thunder proved accurate for here, although I am aware that places to the N and E of here fared somewhat better. The fact that there has been thunder and lightning scattered about means the forecast from the BBC of thundery rain proved correct, although I would not call any of what occurred last night "big thunderstorms". I won't put there forecasts down yet though as we are only just into the period whereby they were talking of thunderstorms with a whole day of this weather type still to come today.

My personal feelings are that I am too far west today. Areas to the SE look best, maybe east of a line from the IOW to The Wash for the best thundery activity. There could be the odd rumble further north aswell, east of the A1 but not to the extent of further SE.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

A weak Thunderstorm last night around midnight. Looking at the posts suggests the Sheffield Shield was down for maintenance. I wondered if the cell had sneaked in and then developed within the shield. There was an earlier distant rumble earlier as well before midnight.

Interesting the once the lightning started the rain which was heavy eased off eventually stopping the lightning and Thunder moving off sometime after the rain had ceased.

Posted

It hasn't put me off posting don't worry. I just like to do that thanks.

Good mate, you show great enthusiasm, and also pick up stuff quick. A future forecaster in our midst.

• Like 2

Guest William Grimsley

Good mate, you show great enthusiasm, and also pick up stuff quick. A future forecaster in our midst.

Thanks, Biggin.

Guest William Grimsley

I'd just like to start something about Sunday Night (all action gone in SW England). Netweather.tv is showing a 32% chance of storms and around 200 j/kg with a LI index of 1. Probably nothing much but something may come to SW England do you think?

Posted

heavy rain at times overnight with thunder and lightning, mainly just SW of here around 0120-50, heaviest rain at 0518 according to the Davis, 81.2mm rate, total so far=15.0mm.

Guest William Grimsley

Tuesday Evening could be interesting. Temperatures in the mid 20s and heavy rain associated with a cold front pushing down from the NW. With the combination of another cold front with warm/muggy air could be another repeat performance of last night. :D

Posted

had an early night last and slept like a log here in the storm void North West, although I did look at the radar for the early hours here and it showed some good red echoes at around 300AM  did I miss anything? 

didnt think so , this is the North West after all

Guest William Grimsley

had an early night last and slept like a log here in the storm void North West, although I did look at the radar for the early hours here and it showed some good red echoes at around 300AM  did I miss anything? 

didnt think so , this is the North West after all

You didn't miss much but better than us in the SW.

Also, after that rain band has moved through, towards the end of the week lots of convective showers will grow mostly inland and look like they could be quite heavy. Then, towards the start of September, lots of intense downpours are forecast. This could be good. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun

We had a few rumbles of thunder but the noise of torrential rain on and off all night was enough to wake me up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Huge convective drops as I speak here, torrential stuff. Maybe I might get lucky!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

In Yarmouth........

The sun is out. What a surprise Posted Image

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted

In Yarmouth........

The sun is out. What a surprise Posted Image

That isn't a bad thing by any means, more sun = more fuel ;) some people forget that!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

That isn't a bad thing by any means, more sun = more fuel Posted Image some people forget that!

North easterly wind means hell will freeze over before convection happens here. The metoffice seem to have forgotten that when they say we are going to get 40mm of rain. I never bought this forecast, again unless we get imports this will be a non event. Posted Image

Posted

North easterly wind means hell will freeze over before convection happens here. The metoffice seem to have forgotten that when they say we are going to get 40mm of rain. I never bought this forecast, again unless we get imports this will be a non event. Posted Image

Ah not that god forsaken North Easterly again! stuff seems to be surviving crossing from Benelux though, guessing its elevated.

Posted

I would love to know where all this rain on raintoday is? My area is covered but alas not a drop

Guest William Grimsley

I would love to know where all this rain on raintoday is? My area is covered but alas not a drop

There's a higher pressure towards the E of you so the rainfall is drying up as it falls to the ground. It is very light rain you are speaking of though. It's 'error rainfall'.

Posted

I'm in Maidstone today, so perhaps in a prime location for action today?

• Like 1