Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Your online delivery by unmanned drone?

Coast

Posted

I wasn't sure if this was an April Fools joke a little early, but apparently Amazon are going to start trials in 2015 - watch this space....

Amazon unveils drone delivery system

Firm says the unmanned ‘octocopters’ could be delivering packages within 30 minutes of ordering as early as 2015

In what looks like a service from the Back to the Future universe, Amazon has unveiled its newest innovation: home delivery by unmanned drones known as ‘octocopters’. A video released by the company shows a small package being put together on an assembly line before being carried to a overgrown remote control helicopter, which picks it up and flies off to its final destination.

And before you think the video is a simple publicity stunt that won’t become reality for decade -  Amazon has said the service, known as Prime Air, could fill the skies by 2015. “I know this looks like science fiction, but it's not,†Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos said in an interview with CBS. “One day, Prime Air vehicles will be as normal as seeing mail trucks on the road today,†the company added on its website. “From a technology point of view, we'll be ready to enter commercial operations as soon as the necessary regulations are in place. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is actively working on rules for unmanned aerial vehicles.â€

Amazon hopes that through use of the drones, packages weighing up to 2.3 kg will be in the hands of customers within 30 minutes of them placing an order. In the US, the FAA has approved the use of drones by police and government agencies and has already issued around 1,400 permits. Now, by 2015 US airspace is expected to be opened up to all kinds of commercial drones, with Europe quickly following suit in 2016, when everything from books to pizza could be delivered by the aerial robots.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/amazon-unveils-drone-delivery-system-8976976.html

Isn't our airspace congested enough without having unmanned vehicles filling the skies?

Must just be a gimmick or marketing ploy surely, how would you get FAA or CAA clearance to do all that stuff?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

With an ungodly amount of money. Posted Image

Speaking of which I just ordered a kettle from Argos, and Shutl are delivering it to me within 2 hours, I'm pleasantly surprised as now I don't have to get the bus to Rayleigh. Posted Image

Sorry it's not quite on the scale of the OP, but it's still on topic Posted Image

Edited by Essex Easterly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

I think stolen drones could be a problem, and signing for delivery, and delivering in cities, apartments, etc., still, nice idea. Perhaps they could stream video footage from it so you can watch your order flying to your address!?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

Anyone seen DPD's latest tracking feature

Van tracking with Google Maps, got an email from them a few days ago when I was expecting a delivery

This is the page that came up :)

Posted Image

Edited by Essex Easterly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Why don't they have drones order picking? In big warehouses..just a thought.

Modern WMS software linked to automated VNA's and conveyor systems practically do that today already, add in well thought out flow racking and sortation and loaders they can put the goods in the waiting lorry as well.  Even manned pickers whichh follow a set loop of pick zones using an RDT so even these if planned layout is done right means thousands of picks an hour even with a small team of workers who never need to leave their MHE all day.

Edited by Jax

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

Seems to be a duplication of threads here, so I will copy paste on here as well:

What will they think of next? Although it's something I can't see the CAA approving in this country - the difference between this and the drones the police use is that at least there is somebody in control of it, albeit on the ground but at least somebody would be in a position to keep a look out for any potential hazards - telephone lines, power cables and other light aircraft which may be in the vicinity, together with the flight paths of commercial aircraft landing and taking off at airports. However with these they would be completely automatic, navigating by GPS and unless there is a sophisticated obstacle avoidance system built in able to detect and avoid obstacles which could be travelling at a speed at anything from nil to say, a couple of hundred mph at low levels, even a lot faster if the RAF are practising low level flying in the vicinity.

I wonder if they will be fitted with transponders?

However wouldn't it be great if they upgraded these machines to a capability of carrying a couple of passengers or so and their luggage - with the multiple rotors I expect they would be easier to fly than a conventional helicopter and short make short work of a family trip to the seaside without getting stuck in the traffic, though likely to be an air traffic controller's nightmare with all these things shunting around the sky, so perhaps not - we will just have to resign ourselves to that large car park called the M25 Posted Image

Posted

Not an April Fool, but a very clever piece of viral advertising - no coincidence today is 'cyber Monday', the busiest day of the year for online orders .....

Posted

Owls are the way to go according to Waterstones

"Although each delivery will cost only £2.75, the Ornithological Waterstones Landing Service (or OWLS), will also not be available immediately, as ‘it takes ages to train owls to do anything and we only just thought of it this morning".

post-1808-0-59910100-1386012448_thumb.pn

http://metro.co.uk/2013/12/02/waterstones-hits-back-at-amazon-drones-with-totally-real-owl-delivery-service-4210431/

• Like 4

Posted

...However wouldn't it be great if they upgraded these machines to a capability of carrying a couple of passengers or so and their luggage - with the multiple rotors I expect they would be easier to fly than a conventional helicopter and short make short work of a family trip to the seaside without getting stuck in the traffic, though likely to be an air traffic controller's nightmare with all these things shunting around the sky, so perhaps not - we will just have to resign ourselves to that large car park called the M25 Posted Image

They're working on it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L75ESD9PBOw

Posted