Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 03/12/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted

I've been following the events of the tidal surge and resulting floods. Thanks to all those here posting info and keeping us up to date.

We mustn't forget the wildlife too, though.  I'm very sad to read this:

http://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/news/hundreds_of_seal_pups_at_horsey_washed_away_and_feared_dead_after_tidal_surge_hit_norfolk_coast_1_3085242?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Afternoon all,Dont know how many of you have read some of Ian Currie's books, or indeed some of you may have heard him on Radio London and LBC, where he had a weekly weather forecasting slot, for a while, some years ago. You may well have heard his Radio 4 programme, based on his book Frost, Freezes and Fairs or seen him forecasting on Cable TV.Many of you may well have read the excellent series of County Weather books, based on major weather events in Essex, Kent, Surrey, Sussex, etc, which Ian Currie was the co-author of.I contacted him with the view of attending some of his weather related talks, as he is involved in the Meteorological branch of the Croydon Natural History and Scientific Society. Also I wanted to try and get a couple of copies of those County Weather books, as they are mostly out of print now. The Kent one for myself and hopefully a copy of the Sussex one for Tamara, who I knew had been wanting to get a copy of that counties major weather events, after moving down to Sussex some years ago.To cut a further long story short, Mr. Currie kindly agreed to meet myself and Tamara yesterday evening, to have a chat about the issues I've mentioned above. We had a really fascinating 3 hours with him and came away with our own personally signed copies of the Kent and Sussex Weather books. You can imagine that when you get 3 weather enthusiasts together, the 3 hours seemed like 3 minutes, we could have gone on for another 3 days, so interesting was the discussion, with a full and hearty swapping of views and weather memories. He really was an interesting and hospitable host to both myself and Tamara and we came away with a real buzz about the evening.I said to Ian that I'd ask members on the SE Regional thread, if any would like to attend some of his presentations on behalf of the Society I've mentioned above and he will be forwarding his schedule of events to me, in due course. Although the Society is based in Croydon, he actually holds these presentations throughout S.E.England and even further afield. Some of his chats are to closed Societies but the majority are open to anyone who wants to come along to view them.As soon as Ian lets me know his timetable of events, I'll post them up in here. It's certainly worth going along to hear him talk about his weather experiences and indeed major weather events over the centuries.Regards,Tom.

I personally subscribe to Weather Eye and have spoken to him on the telephone on the odd occasion. A true gentleman and one who has had a few issues to deal with recent years so good to see him battling on.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I've been following the events of the tidal surge and resulting floods. Thanks to all those here posting info and keeping us up to date.

http://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/news/hundreds_of_seal_pups_at_horsey_washed_away_and_feared_dead_after_tidal_surge_hit_norfolk_coast_1_3085242?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed

That is sad CM yes, I know I saw in the news before the storm hit a number of sites with seals around the UK were doing "what they could" to offer them protection, difficult to do I suspect with the nature of the animals in question, their habitat and the fact they are wild.

Edited by Jax
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

No on the contrary, I really do think some 'top decision makers' lurk here (NW) when things are looking uncertain in the media or through other outlets. That's why I've always believed we should strive to keep things accurate and  informative as what is a hobby and interest to us, is guidance and advice to many others.

It's also nice to have some light-hearted entertainment along the way! Posted Image

What, like the latest model views Posted Image and suchlike. She needs to wear some knickers because the non-wintry outlook is pants right now. Life can get too serious sometimes so good to see us MODS keeping things ticking over.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Yes, thankfully we all knew about the potential in good enough time and I suspect you'll find all sorts of official people look in on Netweather Posted Image as members were calling it pretty much spot on in the days leading up to yesterday.

Forecasting has of course come a long way since 1953 but then again so has the flood protection along our East coast. Still didn't stop everything, but without the heads-up forecasts/flood warnings, the commitment to sea defences and the sterling work of the uniformed services and civilians, yesterday could have been a whole lot worse.

Big pat on the back for all concerned! Posted Image

Gold Stars all round :)

• Like 1

Posted

I find that report quite scary actually, because only yesterday was I thinking about how the Seals and their pups might be getting on (really I was). Posted Image The seagulls appeared to be coping well against the winds on the webcams. Seemingly the strongest nearly always survive and those lower down the ecological food-chain continue to need our assistance. Seals are somewhat resilient I guess but nonetheless it still has to be of concern.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: if its warm i want sun..if its cold i want snow.

Hemsby on the Norfolk coast, 5 homes damaged beyond repair:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Snape, Suffolk:

Posted Image

Cromer pier:

Posted Image

All photos are from here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25247531

that pic with the washing machine fallen oot the bottom of the house is spooky, looks like its a screaming face and the handles above the cylinder look like eyes..

the bbc were above those houses earlier, one of them was in the process of being sold until recently when the potential buyer withdrew his/her offer owing to big concerns about........

............coastal erosion. Posted Image ..needles to say the current owner is "distraught" Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

I personally subscribe to Weather Eye and have spoken to him on the telephone on the odd occasion. A true gentleman and one who has had a few issues to deal with recent years so good to see him battling on.

Yes, he is a lovely down to earth guy and full of enthusiasm, knowledge and recall of weather events back many many years - and its not everyone who deals with media, gives interviews to radio stations and does endless rounds of public engagements discussing a wide variety of different weather phenomenon who answers a telephone call and invites 'strangers' at the drop of a hat, just like that, into his own homePosted Image  Kudos to our Mr KCZ for having the cheek  spontaneity to angle his call for an invitePosted Image  (joke Tomas)

I echo what Tomasino says in that it could prove a very useful, interesting and enjoyable outing for other members to go along to some of his events and meetings. A different kind of regional meet-up opportunity. I have a WI meeting he is doing in mind f.ePosted Image

He expressed quite an interest in net weather when we described the threads for discussion on here with a particular emphasis on regionality of course, as is the basis for the huge variety of historical weather event topics he discusses county to county in many of his books. So he would look forward to meeting us for surePosted Image

Edited by Tamara תָּמָר
  • Like 4

Posted

that pic with the washing machine fallen oot the bottom of the house is spooky, looks like its a screaming face and the handles above the cylinder look like eyes..

the bbc were above those houses earlier, one of them was in the process of being sold until recently when the potential buyer withdrew his/her offer owing to big concerns about........

............coastal erosion. Posted Image ..needles to say the current owner is "distraught" Posted Image

Yes saw that on the news at lunchtime, shocking really and very sad for them.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Evening all - sad to see photos of the homes and property that have been lost to the sea surge but hopefully the weather warnings saved lives and gave people chance to move valuables to higher floors - I think the emergency services have done us proud getting so many people evacuated ....

post-10773-0-37807300-1386349379_thumb.j

Things have been less dramatic here in MK

post-10773-0-95683500-1386349482_thumb.j

Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 6

Posted

Evening all - sad to see photos of the homes and property that have been lost to the sea surge but hopefully the weather warnings saved lives and gave people chance to move valuables to higher floors - I think the emergency services have done us proud getting so many people evacuated ....

Posted Imageimage.jpg

Things have been less dramatic here in MK

Posted Imageimage.jpg

Nice of the starlings was that the lake on to childs way?

Posted

No on the contrary, I really do think some 'top decision makers' lurk here (NW) when things are looking uncertain in the media or through other outlets. That's why I've always believed we should strive to keep things accurate and  informative as what is a hobby and interest to us, is guidance and advice to many others.

It's also nice to have some light-hearted entertainment along the way! Posted Image

I can confirm that very senior executives in the food distribution and supermarket sectors, senior people read netweather, as I been to meeting where your site has been discussed along with contingency plans. This is why I am always at my most serious when I post as I will be recognised.
  • Like 6

Posted

I echo what Tomasino says in that it could prove a very useful, interesting and enjoyable outing for other members to go along to some of his events and meetings. A different kind of regional meet-up opportunity. I have a WI meeting he is doing in mind f.ePosted Image

He expressed quite an interest in net weather when we described the threads for discussion on here with a particular emphasis on regionality of course, as is the basis for the huge variety of historical weather event topics he discusses county to county in many of his books. So he would look forward to meeting us for surePosted Image

Sounds like a plan to me, maybe Tomasino would like to arrange something for next year ? Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 2

Posted

Nice of the starlings was that the lake on to childs way?

Willen lake north (between the peace pagoda and the temple) Starling murmuration around 3pm they roost in the reeds :-) Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Sounds like a plan to me, maybe Tomasino would like to arrange something for next year ?

Hi Ali,

That's certainly something to think about for next year. I just spoke to Ian Currie again, he actually has a talk lined up for this coming Monday from 11.00-12.00 at :

ASHBURTON LIBRARY, SHIRLEY ROAD, ADDISCOMBE, NEAR CROYDON. CR9 7AL.

The talk is based on his book, Frosts, Freezes and Fairs, chronicling some of the harshest Winters down the centuries and the effect these had on the Thames.

He will be showing some 80 odd slides regarding these Winters.

I will be going along to the talk, as I've managed to arrange a delayed start to work! Posted Image

Also he would welcome any of you that can get along to the talk but obviously its pretty short notice and you may well have work and other commitments.

Tom.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

spoke to my mum earlier this evening and she said that apparently in one area were those that had to be evacuated the local fish and chip shop as well as the Chinese take away cooked a load of food for people for free for the night...so lovely to hear that...

• Like 3

Posted

Hi Ali,

That's certainly something to think about for next year. I just spoke to Ian Currie again, he actually has a talk lined up for this coming Monday from 11.00-12.00 at :

ASHBURTON LIBRARY, SHIRLEY ROAD, ADDISCOMBE, NEAR CROYDON. CR9 7AL.

The talk is based on his book, Frosts, Freezes and Fairs, chronicling some of the harshest Winters down the centuries and the effect these had on the Thames.

He will be showing some 80 odd slides regarding these Winters.

I will be going along to the talk, as I've managed to arrange a delayed start to work! Posted Image

Also he would welcome any of you that can get along to the talk but obviously its pretty short notice and you may well have work and other commitments.

Tom.

I'm working unfortunately but would be interested if it was my day off (which typically is Tuesday next week to coincide with mr Ps) enjoy the talk Tom and keep us posted of future events - maybe he would do a nw exclusive in the back room of a pub somewhere ?
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

I'm working unfortunately but would be interested if it was my day off (which typically is Tuesday next week to coincide with mr Ps) enjoy the talk Tom and keep us posted of future events - maybe he would do a nw exclusive in the back room of a pub somewhere ?

Yes that's certainly something I'll talk to him about on Monday and find out what his fee is and other details about booking him for one of his talks.

He certainly enjoyed sharing mine and Tamara's memories of past weather events and was impressed with Tams technical knowledge of synoptic patterns and the role that the stratosphere plays in forming a forecast.

Tom.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

This is a zoomed view of river from bedroom at about 14:30. Its is higher than normal.

I've had an upset tummy so been writhing in agony all afternoon. :(

post-17085-0-03058900-1386355329_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Evening all. Home was spared thank goodness and I have felt a lot better compared to last nights worrying. Saffron Walden had their Christmas market this evening so I went to that and had some mulled wine :)

Really enjoying my new home, just wish the weather wasn't so monotone Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted

This is a zoomed view of river from bedroom at about 14:30. Its is higher than normal.

I've had an upset tummy so been writhing in agony all afternoon. Posted Image

I spoke to a few people down at Stoke bridge about 2am, Wondered if any of them were you.

Water was very high again this afternoon.

Posted

This is a zoomed view of river from bedroom at about 14:30. Its is higher than normal. I've had an upset tummy so been writhing in agony all afternoon. :(

Hope you feel better soon Grace :-)
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

CFS time

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This looks good

Posted Image

Posted Image

Precipitation - (0) - Looks average

Temperature - (0) - Starting mild but turning colder towards new year

Posted

It's humbling to see how the east coasts were affected by the high tide and surge, and I was impressed by the emergency services, by local volunteers and by the beefed-up defences which finally seem to be doing the trick. It certainly could have been a lot worse. Too easy to overlook when inland - it was actually quite a nice day here, with the sun shining up until about 2pm, though it was cool with a start at 0.7c and only making it to 7c warmed by the strange yellow bright thing which has been absent for a while now. 

Snow still looks quite a way off, but a few cold bright days in store, hopefully.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Just for John P, this is my ramp chart of the day...............

Now where did I put that vodka Posted Image

post-9329-0-43836400-1386362825_thumb.pn