Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Weather Discussion 07/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

I have been reading on the model thread and two members who say they are from the NW on their avatar seem to be missing something or am I?

It's not the perfect set up but there is a chance of something wintry for our region if those cold WNW flows do occur.

• Like 3

Posted

I have been reading on the model thread and two members who say they are from the NW on their avatar seem to be missing something or am I?It's not the perfect set up but there is a chance of something wintry for our region if those cold WNW flows do occur.

I don't understand it either. There is a chance no doubt, and pretty much the first one this winter - ina  WNW flow it's not the most ideal, but it can snow.

Any historical WNW flow charts Kev ?

Posted

I don't understand it either. There is a chance no doubt, and pretty much the first one this winter - ina  WNW flow it's not the most ideal, but it can snow. Any historical WNW flow charts Kev ?

Last year, remember the thundersnow event? The coldest air was on the WNW flowJanuary 1984 had burst of cold westerly flows.The day before the Burn's Day storm in 1990, there was a surprise snowfall to the Liverpool Manchester area on that cold westerly flow. Caught Fred Talbot out.It happened again New Year's Eve night 1993
  • Like 3

Posted

Good man, so it happens !

I remember the Thundersnow last year very well - infact I don't remember another event of it for IMBY - probably was one, but I don't remember.

Amazing though them, gives me memories.

• Like 1

Posted

Last year, remember the thundersnow event? The coldest air was on the WNW flowJanuary 1984 had burst of cold westerly flows.The day before the Burn's Day storm in 1990, there was a surprise snowfall to the Liverpool Manchester area on that cold westerly flow. Caught Fred Talbot out.It happened again New Year's Eve night 1993

Lol I forgot Christmas Eve just gone! And that was not particularly cold uppers and there was a southerly component to the wind too boot. Saw just sleet but some saw snow in the showers. Edited by Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Sunday-Wednesday looks promising to see some wintry weather next week,the region will be in a cold

West/NW Flow with cold uppers and plenty of showers packing in on that wind 

C.S

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Am fed up with the boring weather lol ☔ï¸â˜”ï¸

• Like 2

Posted

Am fed up with the boring weather lol ☔ï¸â˜”ï¸

yes me too miamay need some sort of weather to bring this thread alive
  • Like 2

Posted

I love the fact bbc have glossops nearest weather station for latest data is Leek..... Hahaha.... Im 23 miles from Leek....very local.....im 4c leek 6/7c..... Oh well....

Even so its raining so doesnt matter.....

• Like 1

Posted

yes me too miamay need some sort of weather to bring this thread alive

Thing is though if you were guaranteed 3 months of snow,would that not get boring?

Remember 2010 quite a lot of folk looking for the cold spell to end after a week or so

Anyway back to the here and now as posted earlier Sun-Wed a cold w/nw wind cold uppers

and some wintry stuff around

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Thing is though if you were guaranteed 3 months of snow,would that not get boring?

No.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

I have been reading on the model thread and two members who say they are from the NW on their avatar seem to be missing something or am I?It's not the perfect set up but there is a chance of something wintry for our region if those cold WNW flows do occur.

WNW flow no good here. Showers tend to get as far S as Northwhich and that's it. Been frustrated many a time.

Posted
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station
  • Weather Preferences: winter snow summer lots of sun

WNW flow no good here. Showers tend to get as far S as Northwhich and that's it. Been frustrated many a time.

But still a chance is better than non at all crew pos thinking and all that

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter snow summer lots of sun

By I.F We are coming to something of a tipping point this winter...". The words of the Dep Chief, re either a continuation of the "relentless" westerlies or a major pattern change, ring loud re model watching into next week. In short: a critical period in their view, with "a chance of a cold snap and easterlies" or alternatively the status quo re-established all too soon, in which case "...it will be too late.. (to change the character of this very wet Winter)..". It is no exaggeration to say that what unfolds in next few days of model-watching is potentially fundamental to rest of Winter...

Uh oh best hope it goes cold or by the sounds of it winter will be down the crapper

Edited by davacr123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

BBC weather forecast offered the chance of some snow across N England tomorrow morning as the front clears through.

In their words "down to quite low levels" but the same forecast mentioned lying snow across high ground this morning although looking out of the window, my high ground wasn't invited to this event.

We may get lucky this time around but I can't see it offering more than a quick slushy covering so I'll not need to move the lawn mower to get at the sledge just yet.

• Like 1

Posted

BBC weather forecast offered the chance of some snow across N England tomorrow morning as the front clears through.In their words "down to quite low levels" but the same forecast mentioned lying snow across high ground this morning although looking out of the window, my high ground wasn't invited to this event.We may get lucky this time around but I can't see it offering more than a quick slushy covering so I'll not need to move the lawn mower to get at the sledge just yet.

Cant see any lying snow from here but out for walk/ cycling in a mo so we shall see if i can spot any.....

Posted

Morning

very promising output again for early next week for some wintry weather for our region,whilst if you go in the MOD thread

all doom and gloom,because there is no easterly and 2ft of snow showing,despite what some may think I honestly think 

we may get lucky next week

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Is it me or is the rain trying to sleet here? There is bits of white in the rain. Its only 5C here too.

Morning

very promising output again for early next week for some wintry weather for our region,whilst if you go in the MOD thread

all doom and gloom,because there is no easterly and 2ft of snow showing,despite what some may think I honestly think 

we may get lucky next week

C.S

mate that thread is very much if it isnt in their back yard it is a let down. Fact is theres a good chance of us seeing wintry stuff next week. As you said its all NIMBY and people kick off and are all doom and gloom.Good chance of wintry precipitation here next week.

• Like 2

Posted

mate that thread is very much if it isnt in their back yard it is a let down. Fact is theres a good chance of us seeing wintry stuff next week. As you said its all NIMBY and people kick off and are all doom and gloom.Good chance of wintry precipitation here next week.

and the 06z maintains the theme of a cold w/nw wind with frequent wintry showers

C.S

• Like 1