Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic storms February 2014

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Tomorrow's storm is a nightmare regardless due to the rain amounts being progged on to already flooded ground - it should not be underestimated by any standards.  Add into that winds of even 50+mph let alone 70-80mph and you have an issue IMO. 

The south really have taken a battering this winter I can only cross my fingers for you guys and hope that it ends soon and we have a nice long settled period.

If the storm yesterday had been 100 miles further south it would have decimated southern area's so as much as I was looking forward to an epic storm it would have been too dangerous.  We're just not prepared enough, mind you who is apart from Ireland and scotland.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

I think we are going into another recession if the storms keeps coming. Posted Image  The daily mirror says £15 billion of recovery could go down the drain.

Edited by pip22
  • Like 1

Posted

Hmm, low pressure likely to pass over the Southern part of UK, swell off Sw forecast to be 10m, tides now approaching springs so risk of a surge up the Channel, rivers in full spate - doesn't add up to a pretty picture for places like Christchurch IMO.

Fingers crossed for those in vulnerable locations and lets hope this is the last big one for a while.

Posted

Agreed.

This forum will spark into life if the metoffice move the orange a bit further north.

I think everyones has given up on the south coasts lol Posted Image

Indeed, after the past few months I don't even bat an eyelid at a Yellow warning any more.  These days I consider a Yellow warning to be like a nice summer's day ;-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

John Hammond hinting at something "more normal" from Sunday with longer drier interludes between rain next week with a "glimmer of hope" on the horizon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26169458

Looking at Sunday it could even feel quite spring like especially in the south with lots of sunshine, light winds and temperatures around 9c to 11c similar conditions further north but temperatures a tad lower at 6c to 8c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

If the storm yesterday had been 100 miles further south it would have decimated southern area's so as much as I was looking forward to an epic storm it would have been too dangerous.  We're just not prepared enough, mind you who is apart from Ireland and scotland.

I think the far north of England and Cumbria (west coast) are probably used to severe gales too as we often have some warnings during winter months and more frequent than the south.

Saying that though I don't think any region could have been prepared for what the south of the England has had.  Winter for you guys has been a complete drenching - not enviable at all.  The ground is now completely full in areas and this has no where to go so even small (in comparison) amounts of rain fall would prone areas to flooding.

The only hope really is a long dry spell - but then as Robbie said unsettled until the end of the month perhaps?  Who knows either way the government need to assess this winter and makes some serious prep in case of a repeat next year...

Edited by P-M
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

As Storm Tini  leaves out shores we see Storm Ulla  head in from the South West.

http://earth.nullschool.net/ (Normal view)

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-4.96,40.70,1115 (zoomed in earth view)

Stay safe guys, be cautious if have to go out and about.

Edited by Cyclonic
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Indeed, after the past few months I don't even bat an eyelid at a Yellow warning any more.  These days I consider a Yellow warning to be like a nice summer's day ;-)

THIS..

Yellow warnings seem almost pointless now.

Most of the time if you get an orange the weather is "not great" but its ok.

Yellows have lost their impact..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Yesterday I was standing in Liverpool city centre, and some rain came along, it wasn't that heavy, say 2-3mm fell in 10 minutes, however there was a puddle on the grass in Chavasse Park.. it was fairly small before the shower hit, but within 10 minutes the puddle became huge, and that was only from 2-3mm of rain in that short time.

The point I'm making if anything, is that with rain 10 times that amount, it won't take much to have a big effect on already flooded/saturated ground. Hope the rain doesn't materialise as shown.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Someones take / prediction / animation on the coming storm

http://telly.com/1HQVBAA

Can I ask what they say as I can't view it without downloading an app?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

Definitely a case of the calm before the storm here at the moment, glorious sunshine and nothing more then a gentle breeze!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Its a silent video showing the next low pressure systems coming our way with rain animation

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

25th ? it looks nasty one hopefully dont materialise

Posted Image

25th ? That's so far in FI I don't even bother looking, (I was talking about next week). Hopefully one thing which will have been proved this winter, FI really is pointless, (beyond say T216), even just for trend spotting. How many 'cold trends' have popped up beyond T216 this winter, and disappeared ??? (and that's been true of all the models). FI = Forget It

Posted

Here's tomorrow's storm at 12z, 978mb. Yet another deep rapidly intensifying hurricane force storm, sigh

Posted Image

I take it the 122 to the west of that low atm is knots  Bobby??

Posted

Sorry afk.. As Summer Sun says  its a video trying to show the progression of the storm. Didnt realise you had to dl an app to see it.

• Like 1

Posted

Here's a link to the BBC News article on the clear up from yesterday's storm before tomorrow's arrives, John Hammond hints that tomorrow night into Saturday could be equally as bad if not more intense then yesterdays storm!  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26176582

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Here's a link to the BBC News article on the clear up from yesterday's storm before tomorrow's arrives, John Hammond hints that tomorrow night into Saturday could be equally as bad if not more intense then yesterdays storm!  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26176582

Posted Image

Posted

I suspect he may be talking rain wise? (Havent clicked the article)

Posted

Sorry afk.. As Summer Sun says  its a video trying to show the progression of the storm. Didnt realise you had to dl an app to see it.

I had the funniest video automatically come on after it - thanks for brightening my day no end :)

• Like 1

Posted

I suspect he may be talking rain wise? (Havent clicked the article)

There's no mention of whether he meant rain or wind he just purely says "more intense" I guess we'll have to wait and see, either way it's not looking pretty!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

I had the funniest video automatically come on after it - thanks for brightening my day no end Posted Image

Haha same here  *you cant flush this*

Sorry but made my day..Sorry this is not storm related, but i now cant stop singing *you cant flush this* lol Posted Image 

On a serious note, batten those hatches guys, please stay safe

• Like 2