Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2014 thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The Met office have confirmed both Weybourne (North Norfolk) and Writtle (Essex) have recorded a temperature of 28.7°C today making it the hottest day of the year so far

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The Met office have confirmed both Weybourne (North Norfolk) and Writtle (Essex) have recorded a temperature of 28.7°C today making it the hottest day of the year so far

Good stuff. You can tell that it is hot. The railway system has stopped working.  :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Nothing beats the North norfolk Coast on a hot summers day. I generally go every year to Sheringham. Remember some scorching times there in the 90's and early 2000's. Not forgetting some real good storms witnessed too overnight! 

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I know the weather in leeds is generally better than here but CHEESE give a similar account to what we had here and he is from leeds.As for here summer 2007 was poor but both 2008 and 2012 were much worse than 2007.In 2007 we had a very wet june and into july but the rest of july and august was not too bad ,sunny but rather cool.2008 and 2012 were truly abysmal,the june of 2008 wasn't too bad but we had to wait until the middle of September to get anything to resemble summer,2012 did nothing but rain the whole summer!!!!

I'm between Leeds and Halifax and i'd say that 2007, 2011 and 2012 were equally dire in many respects. 2013 was best, followed by 2010 and then 2009.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

The north Norfolk coast is very hit and miss. On days like today with strong southwesterlies it tops the table. But with a light NEly around high pressure you can half the temps seen today, even in July.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Warmest day here is 23 deg on the 19th of may

Tony H.. if the man says  june was dull  it was dull. He lives in that location. June was pretty poor compared to previous Junes in my area.. No doubt someone will say this June was better than last June  in the western part of the the uk.. IT WASNT.

I live in the north Cheshire area in question...subjectively I'd say this June was better than last year (if it was dull at times is quite normal).

Drawing a line between the Met Office stations at Hawarden and Rostherne gives a 27 mile transect across the north Cheshire plain and Mersey valley so these stations should give a reasonable idea of conditions in the area -

Rostherne						Max	Min	Mean	Rain	Sun2013	18.92	8.66	13.79	52.8	168.12014	20.29	10.13	15.21	34	155.3					Hawarden						Max	Min	Mean	Rain	Sun2013	18.88	9.47	14.18	32.2	190.32014	19.81	10.92	15.37	35	200.9

Sunshine similar to last year, marginally more in Hawarden, less in Rostherne.

Rainfall same for Hawarden, 36% less for Rostherne.

Temperatures 1.2 - 1.4 degrees higher than last year - with the minimum temperatures giving the larger contribution counter to the clear skies cold night suggestion.

• Like 1

Posted

QBO has got more easterly at -13.68 now.

What does that mean in terms of possible weather on the ground?
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Better this June on the whole then in North Cheshire :) It was the consistently warm maxima rather than high minima that made June a warm month, that was the case here at least, bearing in mind the June mean max is 18c here and this June it managed 19.9c.

Edited by TonyH

Posted

What does that mean in terms of possible weather on the ground?

Your guess is as good as mine!

Posted

Better this June on the whole then in North Cheshire :) It was the consistently warm maxima rather than high minima that made June a warm month, that was the case here at least, bearing in mind the June mean max is 18c here and this June it managed 19.9c.

The MO maps again illustrating this:

post-2595-0-94210000-1404551799_thumb.gipost-2595-0-85844900-1404551847_thumb.gi

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/summaries/anomacts

Edited by TonyH

Better this June on the whole then in North Cheshire :)

I would say so, though I do remember a belting day last year at the Cheshire show when Rostherne a couple of miles away recorded the warmest temperature in the country, which couldn't be better.

Then again can't remember many months favourable for wildswimming like Pete!

• Like 1

Posted

Too true !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

June was a pleasant month actually, very mixed... weather wise it was a typical June, however absolute June maximum was actually very low.. I recorded an absolutely maximum of 24.9C this June, only June 2012 comes out lower with 24.2C.. 

July looks like being cooler than June here as it stands.. though it wouldn't be the first time that's happened... I actually ask myself the question will it get above 24C in July on my weather station? - there is a genuine chance it may not which would make it the coolest July absolute maximum on record (on my station), with models pointing to an unsettled, and cool first half of July for many. I am actually seriously thinking about this. 

Edited by SP1986

Posted

Bit early to predict that though ^ over 3 weeks left! There have been Junes when it has not breached 20c and Summers with no 25c (Midlands)

Edited by TonyH

Posted

Apart from today which is  cold  but  fairly sunny... the first week of July as been poor.rained most of the  5 days (here in my location).What annoys me is the misrepentation of the weather  in the media IE the mail today.."The hot weather is gone" apparent;y.. most of the UK didn't see the hot tempertures..It makes it appear.. everyone  had  27/28c.

I am still waiting to see if  the weather  is more summary in the second week of July like met office predicted. And am sure the ppl in Scotland are looking forward to  excellent weather..for the commonwealth games. Like the bbc predicted with very good confidence..

• Like 1

Posted

Plenty of warm and humid stuff on the GFS 12z. Rain for most at some point but not a bad week of summerlike conditions. Wont be cold thats for sure.

Posted

So overall, not a bad first half to Summer, what does the second half hold?

Cold Atlantic drizzle, hopefully. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

• Like 1

Posted

Nah, sunshine and heat along with the odd torrential thunderstorm. The fuzzy feeling from that is much, much better! :wink:

Yep, its summer after all. Cold stuff doesnt belong in this time of year and luckily in July it never gets that cold anyway. Im liking the predicted temperatures from the GFS for the upcoming week or so.

• Like 1

I have to say, we really are thundering through 2014 extremely quickly. We are already approaching mid-Summer (not the festival of Midsummer, but the middle day of meteorlogical Summer) and then we enter the worst season of all.

To summarise the almost-first half of Summer 2014, I have to say it's been fairly uneventful but pleasant, but that's what Summer should genuinely be. June overall was decently warm and sunny, at least for my area and the first week of July, bar Friday, has been very nice indeed. As I've said before, it doesn't need to be 30C with wall to wall sunshine to make me happy, though I would certainly like that! I'm perfectly happy with low-to-mid twenties with decent sunny breaks - enough so that it actually feels summery. Cold Atlantic drizzle is not good for anything and is depressing.

So overall, not a bad first half to Summer, what does the second half hold?

Isn't that Winter Scott

Cold Atlantic drizzle, hopefully. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

You will be feeling warm and fuzzy but not from any cold atlantic drizzle that's for sure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I've slowly come to dislike winter, even though it was probably my favourite season for a while. I think I was spoilt by the winters of 2009 to 2013. I'd happily take October over January - the former is rather pleasant with mild temperatures and significantly more sunshine than the winter months. The latter, bar the occasional snowfall, is  dreary and depressing.

Edited by cheese

Posted

I've slowly come to dislike winter, even though it was probably my favourite season for a while. I think I was spoilt by the winters of 2009 to 2013. I'd happily take October over January - the former is rather pleasant with mild temperatures and significantly more sunshine than the winter months. The latter, bar the occasional snowfall, is  dreary and depressing.

For me autumn and winter months are not just about the actual weather, but about hours of daylight too. I much prefer Jan/Feb to Nov/Dec simply because the days are getting longer, and of course there's the elusive snow and ice.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Interesting BBC 10 dayer on the news channel last night hinting at winds turning southerly towards the end of the forecast period with the chance of it turning very warm for some parts, something to keep an eye on

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted

.....chance of it turning very warm ....

*Sigh*. Hasn't it been warm enough,for long enough as it is? This excruciatingly tiresome summer seems to have gone on,and on,and on,and on,more than any other before it..... and it's still only early soddin' July. Just needs to go away now.