Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Bárðarbunga and Askja - Volcanic Activity

lorenzo

Posted

Third cauldron seen on the glacier.

thridi_sigketillinn_fyrir_net.jpg

09:34 Another caldera seen in Dyngjujökli, directly above where the dynamic corridor runs from the north to the volcano Bárðarbunga methods in blowout lava. This caldera was seen in exploration geoscientists flight yesterday, and two to three kilometers from the edge of the glacier. It is not yet clear how big he is.

http://www.ruv.is/

Posted

Hi SF - is that a google translation or the RUV English version?  I only ask as it is saying caldera not cauldron although if it is being seen on the glacier then I agree with your opening line of third cauldron seen. 

Also - I never thought of cauldrons in terms of having a gender and it certainly would not have occurred to me to be in the masculine.  Volcanoes and glaciers I think are referred to in the feminine in English.  Wike does state that Icelandic language uses gender so cauldron being a he makes sense.

Edited by swebby

Posted

Jon Frimann thinks that a small eruption may have started under the glacier based on the harmonic tremor that is taking place.

http://www.jonfr.com/volcano/

Karyo

Interesting as someone on twitter mentioned this earlier on.

That there was a change in the harmonic tremor and a sub glacial eruption may have started, unconfirmed at the time though.

Guess it is a case of watching and waiting to see if any eruption becomes visible or whether an Icelandic agency confirms or not the eruption.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Jon Frimann thinks that a small eruption may have started under the glacier based on the harmonic tremor that is taking place.

http://www.jonfr.com/volcano/

Karyo

There doesn't seem to be much agreement for this from the VC crew reading between the lines. I've noticed there seems to be a little bit of tension between Jon Frimann and the guys at VC: is there some history there? For example, VC implore their readers not to post or use en.vedur.is links, but JonFr described that as "nonsense from Carl".

Posted

There doesn't seem to be much agreement for this from the VC crew reading between the lines. I've noticed there seems to be a little bit of tension between Jon Frimann and the guys at VC: is there some history there? For example, VC implore their readers not to post or use en.vedur.is links, but JonFr described that as "nonsense from Carl".

It is possible. I do feel for Jon for doing all this work for no pay.

Anyway, as he says, if there is a subglacial eruption then we will notice an increase in water/flooding taking place in the next few hours.

Posted

Also do the GPS measurements show the rifting moving north? 

was suggested but i do not really understand the map.

BxFUdnzIAAA6iWf.png

I am not sure either re:map

Posted

Major history there - VC was started by the people who posted on Jon's blog. Carl tried to dominate and when Jon asked for only serious science to be discussed, all the fluff emplored the 'king' to make a new blog. Never one to miss the main chance, Carl duly obliged and off went the sycophants, to a new home!

Edited by Gael_Force
  • Like 2

Posted

http://www.livefromiceland.is/webcams/bardarbunga-2/

http://www.livefromiceland.is/webcams/bardarbunga/

look at the updrafts

these cams are addictive

must do some work 

back later :)

Edited by john pike

Posted

Very little movement on the GPS Yesterday (09 Sept 2014).

post-2809-0-55111000-1410269061_thumb.pn

Preliminary analysed data by the GPS monitoring group of the Icelandic Meteorological Office, the Institute of Earth Sciences University of Iceland and GNS Science.

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/gps-measurements/bardarbunga/

This is interpreted as

From the 9th September 2014 12:55 - from the Scientific Advisory Board

GPS observations show insignificant crustal movements supporting the assumption that the amount of magma flowing into the dyke continues to be similar to the magma erupted to the surface.

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/articles/nr/2947

The caldera continues to sink a little but remeber that 18 meters across 12km is not that much.

post-2809-0-52055600-1410269437_thumb.pn

From the University of iceland web site

http://jardvis.hi.is/bardarbunga_2014

Tremor monitoring showed a pick up in what I interpret as magma movement on the Vonaskard monitor (blue lines).

post-2809-0-28528500-1410269627_thumb.gi

From the university of Iceland Web site at the following link

http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/oroi/von.gif   

http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/oroi/

I am not sure I would interpret this as a possible soon to be eruption under the ice. It looks to me that on Sunday magma flow into the chamber beneath Bárðarbunga exceeded the eruption flow and

Bárðarbunga may have been going up in height while the caldera was still lowering. Yesterday the eruption and magma flow very much equalled out with very little GPS movement. The lower frequency (2HZ blue ) tremor suggets to me magma movement from late yesterday onwards, yet there has been no appreciable increase in lava outflow. So there remains a question in my mind about where the flow went (perhaps a sub glacial eruption, perhaps it is going deeper , found a new channel ?). Along the caldera rim there seems to be a mixture of earthquake depths, with more microquakes in the top 1.5km which I interpret as in the caldera floor, some around 3km rising to 1.5km which could be ring fault earthquakes or parts of the caldera floor dropping into the magma chamber. Then there are large earthquakes around 6 to 7kms deep, which might coincide with the magma chamber bottom (could this be parts of the caldera roof falling into the magma chamber and causing an earthquake as it reaches the bottom of the chamber?). The final set of earthquakes are deeper than 7kms which range in size which might be related to the plumbing up to the magma chamber or ring faults down to a deeper magma supply.  Its still a complete puzzle to me and as always my conjecture should be taken with a large pinch of salt. Why is the eruption sulphur dioxide rich as well ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Very little movement on the GPS Yesterday (09 Sept 2014).

attachicon.gifbbgpseqmap09092014.png

This is interpreted as

The caldera continues to sink a little but remeber that 18 meters across 12km is not that much.

attachicon.gif2014-09-08allt-residulidar.png

Tremor monitoring showed a pick up in what I interpret as magma movement on the Vonaskard monitor (blue lines).

attachicon.gifvon.gif

I am not sure I would interpret this as a possible soon to be eruption under the ice. It looks to me that on Sunday magma flow into the chamber beneath Bárðarbunga exceeded the eruption flow and

Bárðarbunga may have been going up in height while the caldera was still lowering. Yesterday the eruption and magma flow very much equalled out with very little GPS movement. The lower frequency (2HZ blue ) tremor suggets to me magma movement from late yesterday onwards, yet there has been no appreciable increase in lava outflow. So there remains a question in my mind about where the flow went (perhaps a sub glacial eruption, perhaps it is going deeper , found a new channel ?). Along the caldera rim there seems to be a mixture of earthquake depths, with more microquakes in the top 1.5km which I interpret as in the caldera floor, some around 3km rising to 1.5km which could be ring fault earthquakes or parts of the caldera floor dropping into the magma chamber. Then there are large earthquakes around 6 to 7kms deep, which might coincide with the magma chamber bottom (could this be parts of the caldera roof falling into the magma chamber and causing an earthquake as it reaches the bottom of the chamber?). The final set of earthquakes are deeper than 7kms which range in size which might be related to the plumbing up to the magma chamber or ring faults down to a deeper magma supply.  Its still a complete puzzle to me and as always my conjecture should be taken with a large pinch of salt. Why is the eruption sulphur dioxide rich as well ?

According to my book...

"The amount of volatiles depends very strongly on the magma source. For example, the volatiles in basaltic magmas approaching the surface at constructive plate boundaries and hot spots are almost entirely primordial gas, trapped within the Earth ever since its formation."

Volatiles are the dissolved gases in the magma. Of course, Iceland is on both a constructive plate boundary and a hot spot.

Posted

What are my eyes seeing in foreground of Mila cam streamed on YouTube

Is that water, ice or mist in the foreground - don't remember seeing it before but maybe light is shining t a slightly different angle and it is just illuminating the ground now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

The new eruption is in the center of Mila 1, the clouds forming above it are a tell tale. This is in the background, not the foreground river damming malarkey, that is a different issue.

Jon Frimann was right first time, we will see, I am 90%... Check out some pictures posted on Volcano cafe and Jon Frimann's site, if in doubt just Google.

The heat is keeping the steam from being visible until conditions allow, just like the fissure we have been watching for days.

In my opinion this earthquake says the rifting pressure is still on folks, historic times indeed. http://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/earthquake.php?id=399075

Basically the heat generated by the tearing apart of the North Atlantic Ridge, deep underground this tearing has caused friction that has critically raised the temperature, some more volatile rocks riase as a result, "rifting fissure eruption" very dangerous beast, not witnessed before in the computer age, infact not seen like this for 100's years.

I am going to keep an eye on this no matter where I am or what I am doing.

post-4726-0-18149800-1410284065_thumb.jp Look at the persistent cloud... I think it is a sign of hot gasses getting out and heating up the free water in the air above the glacier. It is evaporating then rising then condensing as a cloud on and off, just like above Fawley fuel works...  Sorry refinery...

They must think we are stupid on the Isle of Wight if we don't notice the pollution that cars and transport does "twice"

Edited by Rustynailer
  • Like 1

Posted

Stunning and scary in equal measures there JP. Thanks for posting it

The outgassing is the beast here, the lava and its inexorable progress are but second fiddle.

Posted

Netweather exclusive Gotcha 2 yes 2 plumes.......post-4726-0-51829700-1410286753_thumb.jp May be not we will see

I think Jon was right   post-4726-0-41961600-1410287077_thumb.jp

The hottest clouds around...post-4726-0-93018400-1410287546_thumb.jp  https://earthdata.nasa.gov/labs/worldview/

Ther is a slight chance that events might have caught up with the webcams, like a shock wave. Only slight, but worth mentioning.

NASA pic :- post-4726-0-71712400-1410287968_thumb.jp Thanks for that, pals. 

ATM At the moment post-4726-0-53300200-1410288206_thumb.jp 1941 UK

Edited by Rustynailer
  • Like 5

Posted

Netweather exclusive Gotcha 2 yes 2 plumes.......attachicon.gifGotyah.JPG May be not we will see

I think Jon was right attachicon.gifGOTYAH 2.JPG

The hottest clouds around...attachicon.gifHoy clouds.JPG https://earthdata.nasa.gov/labs/worldview/

Ther is a slight chance that events might have caught up with the webcams, like a shock wave. Only slight, but worth mentioning.

NASA pic :- attachicon.gifNASA.JPG Thanks for that, pals.

ATM At the moment attachicon.gifK67.JPG 1941 UK

Great Catch Rusty well done

That NASA site is a bit tasty

Edited by NorthNorfolkWeather

Posted

Great Catch Rusty well done

Thank you, but I still could be wrong, we will see..

This volcano is the most interesting of things...

Posted

Isn't it? I should be doing some work.....

Instead I'm watching volcanic plumes

I thought I could leave it alone, but I must know what is happening.

Edited by Rustynailer
  • Like 1

Posted

hi rusty

nice post

there is a chance this might have an effect there on the cams

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/alerts/archive/current_month.html

Aurora_Map_N.png

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/ovation/images/Aurora_Map_N.png

just a hunch though

could be a nice sight tonight if the cams come back on later

re the volcano watch