Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Far North Of England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Yes the pennines and cheviots prevent some showers getting over to the east in westerly based winds, though heavier showers stand a better chance or troughs...

big cluster of showers now heading down from southern Scotland so lets see how these get on.

Also regard to this cold spell lasting into next week it does look promising for more snow and talk of a blocking setting up at some point later in month... fingers crossed

I would say pretty much all showers for Tyne and Wear.  In living memory there have only been a few light coverings from a west or north westerly here.   I not expecting anything from the cluster heading down from the borders.  the track crosses too much high ground.  Hopefully our time will come from Saturday......

It's mental how a bit of weather can cause such an irrational hatred of some hills  :mellow:

I just feel like running over them with a colossal steam roller

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Temp has stuck at 2.4c since the shower has stopped still too high for my liking could do with it dropping a little

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

A heavier shower just starting here, possibly from the big clump now showing on radar.

post-8844-0-75325500-1422483855_thumb.pn

Edited by geordiekev

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

I would say pretty much all showers for Tyne and Wear.  In living memory there have only been a few light coverings from a west or north westerly here.   I not expecting anything from the cluster heading down from the borders.  the track crosses too much high ground.  Hopefully our time will come from Saturday......

Yeah its not ideal, but stranger things have happened, think sunday into tues looks more favoured for eastern side of region with winds more northerly (poss N/Easterly)

time will tell I suppose

Posted

Temp has stuck at 2.4c since the shower has stopped still too high for my liking could do with it dropping a little

Its 0.4c here.  I can't understand why its so much warmer there?

Posted

Does anybody know what happened to Peterf who used to be a regular on here,? He was in Consett and I used to enjoy his dry witty posts. He was also knowledgeable about the weather, think he was a farmer. I have checked and he hasn't posted since Sept 2013. Any ideas?

He's still about, posts on other forums.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 70 degree's in the summer, snow in the winter

About an inch here, Baltic out there

Posted

Its 0.4c here.  I can't understand why its so much warmer there?

It always is slightly warmer than areas nearby for some reason but that seems a large difference anyway 2.3c now so least starting to drop

Posted

Right that clump in north northumberland better be heading our way, all i want is a slight covering!

Posted

Yeah its not ideal, but stranger things have happened, think sunday into tues looks more favoured for eastern side of region with winds more northerly (poss N/Easterly)

time will tell I suppose

It looks unlikely the Northerly will back due North or NNE'ly, if anything the models have downgraded this potential and winds look a lot more NNW'ly than even previously thought.

We are relying on troughs I'm afraid I feel and I think Saturday may be too mild for much in the way of wintriness., if people are reporting rain/sleet with these uppers then how can it possibly be even more wintry with less cold uppers. 

Unfortunately I'm at the stage in the season where I want more than just cold weather, still tonight could still produce surprises like it did for our friends in Teesside! 

Posted

Honestly areas that have missed out so far don't give up yet it only takes one heavy shower and it's a total different story

Posted

Honestly areas that have missed out so far don't give up yet it only takes one heavy shower and it's a total different story

Ye totally agree we had puddles believe it or not before this blizzard and everything was covered within minutes. It was quite extraordinary

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, Snow, Thunder, cold crisp ice days

Right that clump in north northumberland better be heading our way, all i want is a slight covering!

Yes I was looking at that too, will it get stuck on the hills? but it seems that at least some should get down??? can it?

Posted

Now that's what I call blizzard conditions. Small grainy flakes though, but help to build a good base on the few mm we already have.

It's all about the base, bout the base...

Trying to make a snow ball but it is way too dry which surprised me as thought was wetter. Perhaps the sub 0 temps making it dry.

post-8844-0-81719200-1422484383_thumb.jp

post-8844-0-80484500-1422484444_thumb.jp

Edited by geordiekev
  • Like 2

Posted

Maybe some action for the North of the region from this clump?

attachicon.gifhiradarzoomv42.png

That does look good. Come on give us a northerly quick lol. Edited by NorthEastSnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Temp hovering around 1.3 and a dew point of -0.2, so a very slow thaw underway here, just hoping for some more showers over night 

Posted

The huge merged shower over Kielder seems to be in tact.  can it remain that way for Tyneside or is it about to disperse before our very eyes leaving a few wispy clouds to pass the starry sky.......

Posted

that radar clump to the NW of Newcastle is looking interesting been watching on the radar for a while, will it reach here before it dis-intergrates?

Posted

Maybe some action for the North of the region from this clump?

attachicon.gifhiradarzoomv42.png

Yeah, I think that has just hit here but is very grainy flakes. Hopefully the centre of the clump will have some fluffier stuff.

Lamp posts at the ready :)

Edited by geordiekev

Posted

I think N Newc upwards should get a decent amount from this. The only place that looks dodgy is Newc/Gateshead I think.

From what I can tell most places from Durham south have got about an inch, though if it fell earlier, it's probably slushy on big roads/pavements now.

Posted

Starting to snow again here. If this keeps up will have a nice layer in the morning.

Can see some pink clouds building again hopefully it's on my route haha