Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Far North Of England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted

Roads were crap in darlo even main bus routes think dbc would have better gritting programme.

Didn't virtually all the norths councils flog a significant amount of gritters off due to cuts?

On that subject what do the guys who drive gritters do the other 350 odd days of the yrar?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Wouldn't write tonight off at all it's a nowcast situation could go either way anyway just had a light snow shower here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

No surprise to see an ice warning issued by the met office

Issued at: 1020 on Thu 29 Jan 2015

Valid from: 1030 on Thu 29 Jan 2015

Valid to: 1100 on Fri 30 Jan 2015

Showers of sleet, snow and hail will continue through the rest of Thursday and into Friday morning, although at lower levels there will be a gradual trend towards rain and sleet from Thursday evening onwards.

This will bring a risk of further snow, especially on higher ground, along with icy stretches on untreated surfaces. The public should be aware of the potential for disruption to travel.

This is an update to the warning issued on Monday to extend the warning a little further southeast into parts of the Midlands, and also to include ice as a hazard.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

The cold northwesterly flow will continue to feed heavy showers in across Scotland, Northern Ireland, northern England, the Midlands and Wales through Thursday. This will lead to further snow accumulations of 1 to 3 cm at low levels and 5 to 10 cm above 200 m.

Not all areas will see snow though, and the risk is rather lower for parts of eastern Scotland. During Thursday night and into Friday settling snow is likely to become more confined to higher ground in some areas as the airmass becomes a little less cold. However, a small area of low pressure is expected to move southeastwards and bring a more persistent spell of rain, sleet and snow to parts of western Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and the Midlands.

This likely to lead to further accumulations of snow, especially on high ground, whilst also increasing the risk of ice. The track of this system is a little uncertain at present and this warning may be adjusted as and when necessary.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=ne&fcTime=1422576000

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it and sunny crisp days

They work for council in a another job and do the gritting as overtime work i believe

Edited by snowgirl30

Posted

Sunday's snow warning now extended to 23:45 on Monday

Issued at: 1132 on Thu 29 Jan 2015

Valid from: 0015 on Sun 1 Feb 2015

Valid to: 2345 on Mon 2 Feb 2015

Further snow showers will affect parts of Scotland and Northern Ireland on Sunday leading to some locally large accumulations and the showers may spread along eastern and western coasts of England and Wales. The showers will be associated with strong winds so drifting and temporary blizzard conditions are possible as well as icy stretches.

The public should be aware of the potential for disruption from these conditions. Snow showers are likely to continue to affect similar areas into Monday bringing further accumulations. Meanwhile, there is a risk of a more persistent spell of rain, sleet and snow affecting Wales, the Midlands and southwest England on Monday.

This alert has therefore been extended into Monday and now covers these additional areas, but this is more uncertain and therefore further updates are likely in the coming days.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

A very cold airmass will continue to spread southwards from Scotland and Northern Ireland across the remainder of the UK on Sunday accompanied by strong winds. Frequent showers are likely to form in this airmass, primarily affecting northern parts of Scotland and Northern Ireland but also running along eastern and western coastal districts of England and Wales at times.

With the cold air snow is likely to accumulate even to low levels wherever showers affect. Periods of enhanced snowfall are possible within this general flow, with parts of Wales, the Midlands and southwest England at greater risk on Monday, but details of these are very uncertain at this time.

As such this alert is likely to be updated and refined in the coming days to better represent individual features. There is the potential for disruption throughout this period due to the accumulating snow and ice but also with temporary blizzard conditions leading to very difficult driving conditions.

Covers

Darlington, Durham, Gateshead, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Newcastle upon Tyne, North Tyneside, Northumberland, Redcar and Cleveland, South Tyneside, Stockton-on-Tees, Sunderland

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=ne&fcTime=1422835200

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

snowing

Posted

Decent snow now starting to lay again

:)

Radar image

Untitled4364.png

Darlo in the right place for once

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Whereabouts in darlington are u summer sun im cockerton end and its thawing here

Posted

Blue sky visible to my north so this snow shower should be over soon

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Decent snow now starting to lay again

:)

Radar image

Untitled4364.png

Darlo in the right place for once

I'm afraid the pedant in me can bite my tongue no longer! I've seen loads of people write this, but when snow settles on the ground it LIES (or IS LYING), it doesn't LAY

That is all. :-D

Posted

Still appears not to be laying here, its apparently according to met office going to rain tonight anyway.

Edited by snowgirl30

Posted

Still appears not to be laying here, its apparently according to met office going to rain tonight anyway.

ARGH!!!!!!!!

:p lol

• Like 2

Posted

Send it over to Boro!

We were more a less on its eastern edge looking at the radar

UntitledWRghQ.png

Stopped now and unless something suddenly develops I can't see anymore snow for a good few hours looking at the radar

Posted

So when is the next snow forecast around here then, am i right in thinking its too marginal for snow at low levels tomorrow and Saturday? However plenty of showers down the east coast Sunday and Monday?

Posted

Well that is it, there was evidence of a further snow shower falling overnight which lead to a light covering which has melted in places exposed to the sun. 

As far as the rest of the cold snap is concerned, I really don't remain all that upbeat, I can't help but feel most of any convective showers will remain off shore, experience would tell me that. 

Posted

So when is the next snow forecast around here then, am i right in thinking its too marginal for snow at low levels tomorrow and Saturday? However plenty of showers down the east coast Sunday and Monday?

Tomorrow and Saturday temperatures by day are likely to be too high around 4c tomorrow and 5c by Saturday

Any showers which do pop up tomorrow will be of rain or sleet as the air will be slightly milder

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

I don’t get why there would be a snow warning for tonight and tomorrow from the met office.

When you look at the weather on TV it doesn’t look like there is to much in the way of snow for a warning.

Am i missing something?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Maxed at 2.8c at 11:50am it's already down to 2.2c now at 2:35pm so I'm hopeful for tonight but unsure

Posted

I don’t get why there would be a snow warning for tonight and tomorrow from the met office.

When you look at the weather on TV it doesn’t look like there is to much in the way of snow for a warning.

Am i missing something?

The warning covers both snow and Ice, Ice is going to be the main hazard tomorrow morning after the snow melt today

Posted

The warning covers both snow and Ice, Ice is going to be the main hazard tomorrow morning after the snow melt today

Well tjey wouldn't have put out a snow warning as well as an ice warning if they did not think there was a chance of snow. I'm hopeful :p

Posted

We had one serious snow shower today at about 1pm and it pulled the temperature down to -0.5c.
Before that it had been a fraction above all night. Just on freezing now so will be a cold one tonight.

Posted

Talk of a genuine polar low in the mod thread. It can be seen off the NW Scotland on this satellite link.

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

Unsure of track but shows the unpredictability in this setup.