Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North Of England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: It's all about the white stuff!

You're right Nick, I've had female flu ;) this week so haven't been anywhere, think we may head somewhere with the sledges tomorrow though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Had been talk of an easterly next week in mod thread but seems to have been dropped now

Beebs week ahead forecast shows some snow for the NE on Tuesday

Untitledp2Xbv.png

Towards mid week signs are high pressure will slowly move in keeping it cold especially so at night then possibly milder next weekend

Untitled1.png

Up-to Tuesday looks the best bet for some snow from Wednesday high pressure looks like it will be slowly moving in lessening the risk of showers

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

What's behind it might be more interesting, I'd guess.

Winds are projected to go more Northerly after midnight so the risk of showers increases, at least in theory. Whether there be wintry or not is another matter. 

Posted

Winds are projected to go more Northerly after midnight so the risk of showers increases, at least in theory. Whether there be wintry or not is another matter. 

Looks very marginal to me. Tow Law, Consett, etc might be OK... Us lower-level folk - I expect that heavy sleet sound on the windows.

Posted

Looks very marginal to me. Tow Law, Consett, etc might be OK... Us lower-level folk - I expect that heavy sleet sound on the windows.

I suspect evaporate cooling may be more of a factor tonight because the winds should be lighter than they will be tomorrow night. 

Regarding tomorrow night, if the centre of that low is slightly further East we may get enough cold air, looks very very marginal though. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

If high pressure builds in from Tuesday onwards, we don't really have much of a window of opportunity.

BBC/Met have me down for rain showers most of the time up until a period of snow between 6am and 9am on Tuesday morning.

That'd be about bloody right!

Posted

The band to the NE of us is getting its act together now but will likely be a messy mixture of rain sleet and snow and maybe some freezing rain for places as well,so the met office ice warning needs to be heeded.

post-2839-0-88107400-1422655205_thumb.pn

Posted

An hour or so ago the temperature here (car thermometer) was 3c.

I think it will be rain/sleet at best for me.

Rain around Dundee, so not a great sign.

May as well shut my curtains now then.

Oh hang on, what's that famous proverb?

If it rains in Dundee, Newcastle shall see drifting heavy snow.

Posted

Nick.

BBC have me down for predominantly rain from midnight onwards. The likelihood of them getting it wrong at this point is unlikely.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ne6?day=0

Posted

If high pressure builds in from Tuesday onwards, we don't really have much of a window of opportunity.

BBC/Met have me down for rain showers most of the time up until a period of snow between 6am and 9am on Tuesday morning.

That'd be about bloody right!

I've never seen a set up that has been so unconvincing regarding snowfall, BBC temps are cold but not bone chillingly cold for a Northerly despite cold upper air temps.

The only convincing thing about this spell is that first potent westerly blast, a proper instability flow and yes we got that "polar low" which delivered but for our region, I have been a bit underwhelmed when looking at the charts. 

Now as for next week, yes it could be a bit more interesting(it prob won't be until late Wednesday/early Thursday before pressure is high enough to kill any showers) but again, its not convincing we will see a true Northerly/NNE'ly, lets hope some luck will go our way. 

As for tonights, the signs don't look good at all really, tomorrow night might see marginally colder upper air temps if that centre of the low stays further off shore than it is forecast at the moment but the way this winter has gone for us, it will be close to us an saturday night could be quite wet indeed. 

• Like 1

Posted

I've never seen a set up that has been so unconvincing regarding snowfall, BBC temps are cold but not bone chillingly cold for a Northerly despite cold upper air temps.

The only convincing thing about this spell is that first potent westerly blast, a proper instability flow and yes we got that "polar low" which delivered but for our region, I have been a bit underwhelmed when looking at the charts. 

Now as for next week, yes it could be a bit more interesting(it prob won't be until late Wednesday/early Thursday before pressure is high enough to kill any showers) but again, its not convincing we will see a true Northerly/NNE'ly, lets hope some luck will go our way. 

As for tonights, the signs don't look good at all really, tomorrow night might see marginally colder upper air temps if that centre of the low stays further off shore than it is forecast at the moment but the way this winter has gone for us, it will be close to us an saturday night could be quite wet indeed. 

Cheers for the reply, and I agree with all of this.

Starting to cloud over here a little and the wind is picking up a bit, but the wind doesn't have an icy feel to it I wouldn't say.

Posted

As long as the snow is maintained on the Pennines I'll be satisfied - I want my sledging and snowman-building Sunday trip up there!! :-D

Oh, and the kids want it too.

• Like 1

Posted

Anyone who used to watch Bullseye will be familiar with the phrase "Let's have a look at what you would have won"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWinOcmYOAU

Posted

I knew it was a mistake to click on that. 

You sadistic ***** , JP! lol

Edited by NickR

Posted

I knew it was a mistake to click on that. 

You sadistic ***** , JP! lol

The daft things is, I'm torturing myself :closedeyes:

Lots on here have had a half decent fall, I've had a 2 flake deep covering at best so far. That was 2 flakes deep, not 2"!

Posted

Is that lot due to swing down the coast? Because at the moment it looks like going SSW.

Posted

Just watched the BBC24 forecast and "uninspiring" doesn't even cover it.

Plenty of showers tomorrow which are only wintry inland.

Posted

just had a quick look at the radar and there was a few echoes around my location, looked outside at the lamp post and there was a few grains of snow floating about :)

Edited by gazzac69

Posted

I thought this was ours??? Looks like the bulk of it is going to the centre and W!!

Posted

light snow falling now, just hope this band doesn't break up like the earlier band!

Posted

Light showery rain here.

Obviously.

NE6  I might add.

Posted

Light showery rain here.

Obviously.

NE6  I might add.

definite snow here where abouts in toon are you?